DuBro Prop Balancer
1025 11 2016-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

I got the Dubro. Some props start to fall to one side but when I turn them around they don't. Not sure what to do.

2016-6-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

From another forum member, who shared his tests with me, using that same Dubro prop balancer.
Ah, said most of his OEM @DJI props were very well balanced, right out of the package. So not much sanding to change that..
I think he sanded off the small arrow by the hub... On only a couple.

RedHotPoker
2016-6-28
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Do you have the proper threaded shaft for the props or are you using the plastic bushing that comes with the balancer and is demonstrated on a couple Youtube videos? If you have the proper shaft, give them a little spin. If they stop on a different spot each time and dont stop and then rotate in the opposite direction a bit, you should be good.
2016-6-28
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

The proper shaft is critical to balance them properly.  Modifying the one that comes standard with the balancer is just a kludge and won't give you consistent results.
2016-6-29
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

Rigworker Posted at 2016-6-29 10:14
Do you have the proper threaded shaft for the props or are you using the plastic bushing that comes  ...

I have a good shaft. On the videos I have seen, the prop is held horizontal and then they let go and if one side drops, they sand that side. Rather than just taking material off, I set the prop opposite the previous horizontal position and it did not move. The DuBro is on a balanced table.

I was trained in watchmaking many decades ago and had to balance gears on a much more critical piece of equipment so naturally I was a bit cautious.

Do you have any suggested YouTube videos?
2016-6-29
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-30 02:09
I have a good shaft. On the videos I have seen, the prop is held horizontal and then they let go a ...

Ok. I had the balancer set up wrong. It seems like the vertical balancing was more difficult and required taking off a good bit more material than with the horizontal balancing.

Now, however, I can spin the props and they will stop without reversing direction at the end.
2016-6-29
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-29 19:21
Ok. I had the balancer set up wrong. It seems like the vertical balancing was more difficult and r ...

If you hold the prop vertical and let it go, it should stay. If it rotates, the HUB is heavy on the side that goes down. If you start with the prop horizontal, the BLADE that drops is the heavy one. None of my props were very far off. About all I had to remove was the little lock and/or arrow symbols to get them perfect. Didn't fool with the actual blade at all really. If your props seem way out of balance, recheck your setup before doing anything drastic. Also make sure there is no air draft in the room you are working in that could move the prop.  Possibly apply cello tape to the light side to get it balanced. Once you think you have it, you shoild be able to spin the prop and it will stop in any random position.
2016-6-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I look forward to checking all of mine, and seeing where they sit.
I still have some packs of blades sealed in the plastic sleeve, and a few that also have the plastic protective seal, around the threaded hub. ;-)
Dare I open those rotor blades prematurely, to check them?

RedHotPoker
2016-6-29
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-6-30 14:21
I look forward to checking all of mine, and seeing where they sit.
I still have some packs of blades ...

Poker i wouldnt bother in my experience ive always found the DJI props are well balanced.
2016-6-30
Use props
scottgraser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2446266 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the DuBro Prop Balancer but never found any dji props out of balance. I wish i never bought the thing. it just sits collecting dust.
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

scottgraser Posted at 2016-6-30 08:52
I have the DuBro Prop Balancer but never found any dji props out of balance. I wish i never bought t ...

Ok, well Send it up here. Hahaha
It would certainly make a lovely-unique paper weight... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-6-30 07:53
Poker i wouldnt bother in my experience ive always found the DJI props are well balanced.

Yeah, my @DJI drone has always has been rock steady, & with no noticeable vibrations.
Perhaps I can just check a few open pairs, if only for my own mental benefit. ;-)
It's good to know these OEM rotor blades were mostly made with great care and attention.

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules