P4 range extenders
1424 19 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmcltd2003
New

Canada

Im wondering if anybody knows which range extender to buy for P4.

Thanks
2016-6-29
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Well, I tested three kinds of the so-called 'parabolic' range extenders on the same predefined route (programmed in Litchi/Waypoint) and within minutes of each other, so the atmospheric circumstances were equal.
I flew the same route with my P3A and my two P4's and in all cases the 'range extenders' diminished the range with several hundred meters. Maximum range without extenders was 3512 meters away with one of the P4's and 2956 meters for the P3A without extenders.
With extenders the P4 went only 2800 meters and the P3A 1500 meters.
Maybe I missed something but clearly at least the parabolic extenders did not work for me.
2016-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-30 05:15
Well, I tested three kinds of the so-called 'parabolic' range extenders on the same predefined route ...

Not surprising, as antenna design is a science, and not something you can knock up in 5 minutes on the kitchen table. Unless all the design parameters are correct, a so-called parabolic antenna can actually reduce performance.

2016-6-29
Use props
gary.iphone
New

United States

A friend purchased a P4 from Drone World. He bought the "Executive Bundle" which came with a modified remote with the antenna pictured. Anyone know what it is and if it works?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ylx0r ... ObjJ6EQyguJ1Ua?dl=0
2016-6-29
Use props
wmcltd2003
New

Canada

Thanks guys for all the input.  I kinda figured it probably wouldn't work.
2016-6-29
Use props
grotdan
New

Australia

try this before wasting more money  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14197 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
with out it on range 1km DJI start loosing picture quality . with this I pass 2km distance with no glitch. I was nicely surprised that it works . I am not expecting further flights in hills and forest sorounding me . quality is better then 1.2Ghz video link on other model.  ofcourse  you know you have to point antena in exact direction of the model.

2016-7-16
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-29 12:15
Well, I tested three kinds of the so-called 'parabolic' range extenders on the same predefined route ...

Did you installed it backward? LOL
Most people had at least 30% increase in range not less.
2016-7-16
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

wmcltd2003@gmai Posted at 2016-6-29 20:08
Thanks guys for all the input.  I kinda figured it probably wouldn't work.

Aloha wmcltd,

Well, I guess it may be kind of late, but the very inexpensive Kinghard Radar Antenna Range Booster For DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 TX Signal Extender Amplifier, at $9 and $1 shipping really upped the performance of my P3P and P4 when operating in the jungles of Hawai'i.  The live video display for my P4 is awful here, but the booster makes the live display high quality.  I really have no use for real long flights, two miles is plenty for me, but the water in jungle foliage really messes with signals.  The boosters address that problem real well.

At $10, it will probably be the best $10 you spend for a while.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-17
Use props
MAD35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-7-17 17:19
Aloha wmcltd,

Well, I guess it may be kind of late, but the very inexpensive Kinghard Radar  ...

I have the SkyReat Copper Parabolic extenders and they work fine for me. I would normally drop video at about 3kms but now I had good clear signal at 4.5kms.  Not bad for $20
2016-7-22
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MAD35 Posted at 2016-7-22 17:42
I have the SkyReat Copper Parabolic extenders and they work fine for me. I would normally drop vid ...

Aloha MAD,

That is the same one, or it appears to be the same one, I bought, but for half your price.  Shop around.  The shipping for mine seemed like forever, but actually arrived in half the suggested time.  I saw the more expensive ones, like SkyReat, and I checked into the less expensive ones.  I lucked out this time.  But, we all learn from the process.

I built my own parabolic extender, but my materials were not as good as the new copper ones.  Mine worked and was an improvement, but the copper ones are very noticeably better.  

What I like about our extenders is that they are independent, I can use one or two if I like.  If I use one, the other antennae can cover a larger area that has no signal issue.  When you use two, you have a greatly restricted directionality.  If you turn to talk to a friend, you could loose your signal.  Those parabolas are very directional.

You got to admit though, they do really punch through distance or in my case dense jungle.  And like you said, "Not bad . . .".

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-23
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

My concern about those parabolic reflectors is it would seem like they would be reflecting power back into the antenna / radio. It might not be a problem, but long term do you think it might actually harm the radio in the controller? I also wonder if those Drone World range extender kits and parabolic reflectors are a good idea, why wouldn't DJI offer them as options?

I'm not knocking them, just asking the question.

2016-7-23
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Are these things made to extend the distance the drone is able to fly, or are they for display of video... stupid ? maybe but...
2016-7-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-24 05:44
Are these things made to extend the distance the drone is able to fly, or are they for display of vi ...

Aloha Heebus,

They are for both.  For some reason, Phantom operators want to fly way out there.  Me, I just want to penetrate the jungle far enough to land my Phantom and maybe take off again.  My flying environment is less than a mile and a half from my house.  Jungle and mountain, sometimes both, right now thunder and lightening from a tropical storm.  I am grounded until tomorrow noon.

Even before I bought the extenders, for some reason, my P4 displayed video performance way below my P3 Professional.  Yes, you can compensate with custom settings, etc.  But with the extenders, the P4 performs at or above specifications.  So, I am happy and it was a cheap fix.

Mostly, I use the extenders for back-up.  It never hurts to have the power when you need it.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-24
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Cetaman Posted at 2016-7-25 03:19
Aloha Heebus,

They are for both.  For some reason, Phantom operators want to fly way out the ...

Thanx for reply. Dont really wanna " go out there", I only get about 1500 feet from me here, I am in the downtown core of my city. I maintain line of sight, but I figure its electrical lines, or steel of buildings around me, and I'd like to atleast double my distance... thanx again
2016-7-25
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-25 00:22
Thanx for reply. Dont really wanna " go out there", I only get about 1500 feet from me here, I am  ...

Aloha Heebus,

They would probably help.  And mine only cost $10 (including shipping).  (Kinghard Radar Antenna Range Booster For DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 TX Signal Extender Amplifier - Amazon)  Very much worth the money.  Be sure to manage the severe directionality though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-25
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Cetaman Posted at 2016-7-25 18:54
Aloha Heebus,

They would probably help.  And mine only cost $10 (including shipping).  (King ...

I see diferent models/brands... whats the better copper or aluminum, or better to say which you recommend, I shop ebay, not amazon
2016-7-25
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-25 13:11
I see diferent models/brands... whats the better copper or aluminum, or better to say which you re ...

Aloha Heebus,

Most of the ones I see are now copper.  I built one using aluminum tape and it worked OK as an improvement.  Try plug in the Kinghard Radar Antenna Range Booster to e-Bay and see if they have it.  Maybe they have it for $10.  To tell you the truth, it looks like many of them are just re-branded for sale under a different name.  There may be only three or four different designs.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-26
Use props
rdn111
New

United States

grotdan Posted at 2016-7-17 10:42
try this before wasting more money  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14197 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
with ou ...

So I have yet to buy a drone, but the Phantom 3 Standard looks like a good bet. I do have a question, albeit probably silly....do you need to have access to wi-fi/cellular data to have the live stream? Or is it 100% operated by the drone's internal wi-fi?
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

You'll have to search the internet. The P3 and P4 have amazing range, what range are you getting in an open interference free area?
This video may help.

2016-8-5
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

You can think of antenna range like a number 8; you (RC) are in the center of the 8.

When you place these on, the range changes by reducing the overall diameter of one side of the 8 behind you, and extending the other half of the 8 in front of you. But since it can not change the total power, (total power stays constant) it makes the front side of the 8 thinner. So you have to aim better now, otherwise you will lose signal easier.

Having one parabolic reflector on sounds interesting, and it will reduce the directivity issue in the front lobe, but I would be a little bit concerned about the interference and doppler effects of having these 2 types of antennas so close.  But since the frequency is low, and if Cataman had no issues so far, then it may be a good compromise.

2016-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules