Where can I legally fly?
1146 8 2016-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
groom.steve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2501050 ft
Ireland

Live in a horse shoe county subdivision well into the county.  1 to 2 acre lots about 30 houses.  All my neighbors think the drone is cool AND STOP BY WHEN I AM FLYING JUST TO WATCH.   Guess what WRONG.   General area is surrounded by hardwoods and fields.  Try to be respectful of others and have 75 plus flights and 1.2 million feet of flying on the p4.  Tonight July 2nd,  6 p.m., and BAM.  One of the surrounding neighbors that do not live in my subdivision nor do I know, confronted me this evening for spying on his adult only evening.  NOTE!  I SPY ON NO ONE.  Just enjoy flying for fun.   Was sport flying in line of sight at 190 feet up, just flying around guessing about 40 mph not once glancing at the video iPad feed.  Ticked me off.  Told him I was sorry and showed him all my logs and told him I'm faa registered and there was no funny business and apologized.  Told him I would try and stay away from his place but I really did not even come close to his house.  He said he knew they had cameras and thought they could zoom in close.  He left nice and good after I showed him all my logs and photos, but now I feel upset and violated.  I want no harm, fly to relax and think I know if I am between 150 ft and 400 ft that I am well in the law if I follow the fact guidelines, which I do.  
Question is WHERE AND HOW CAN I REALLY FLY LEGALLY?
2016-7-2
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

You were flying legally.
2016-7-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha steve,

You were flying legally, as jmims says.  This fellow has issues, but you handled it properly.  There will be others like your unknown neighbor and you will need to wait until the neighborhood news about you having a drone spreads.  Just keep cool and address their questions.  Patience on your part is everything!

BTW, when they mention zoom, say that it would be nice to have zoom but on drones the size of Phantoms, zoom is way too heavy.  This helps by giving the accuser an understanding of physical impossibility.  That helps you.  Think of other answers ahead of time that you can use under similar circumstances, but keep your answers consistent.  This way, everyone is getting the same story and they feel more comfortable as a result.  Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-2
Use props
groom.steve
lvl.2
Ireland

Cetaman Posted at 2016-7-3 01:54
Aloha steve,

You were flying legally, as jmims says.  This fellow has issues, but you handled  ...

Thanks guys.
2016-7-3
Use props
groom.steve
lvl.2
Ireland

Cetaman Posted at 2016-7-3 01:54
Aloha steve,

You were flying legally, as jmims says.  This fellow has issues, but you handled  ...

Thanks guys
2016-7-3
Use props
edconrad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4784872 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar confrontation when flying around some mountains.  This old  guy drove up close to my car and slammed on the brakes.  Then, he went ballistic on me.  Although he was insane, he was technically correct.  I was on the edge of a national park.  Now, it seems all scenic areas are coming under bans.  
2016-7-3
Use props
husstodd
lvl.1

United States

I've had similar responses.  People either think they are super cool, or they are paranoid and weirded out by them.

Part of my stock response is to show them the video and pics so they can see there is no detail from far above.  I also tel them they should be more concerned about the 16 satellites the drone is hooked up to -- they can see every hair on their head!
2016-7-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

edconrad Posted at 2016-7-3 07:30
I had a similar confrontation when flying around some mountains.  This old  guy drove up close to my ...

Aloha edconrad,

Mr. Ballistic was not right at all.  The airspace in a National Park is regulated by the FAA.  The launch and recovery of drones is regulated by National Parks.  So, Mr. Looney has nothing to say about your launch and retrieval outside park boundaries and you may fly over the park to your battery's content.  So, he was not technically correct at all.  My apologies for correcting you.

BTW, though, do not fly over crowds of people enjoying the park sites.  That is prohibited by FAA rules.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

husstodd@gmail. Posted at 2016-7-3 08:37
I've had similar responses.  People either think they are super cool, or they are paranoid and weird ...

Aloha todd,

Please see my response to edconrad's post.  There are limits to how stupid the public can get when encountering drones.  Work with them, but have your thumb on the 911 dial of your cell phone.  Do let them know they have limits and know what your limits are.

BTW, we do have some new regulations becoming effective mid to late August.  Those regulations are your savior regarding flying rights.  There are the regulations themselves (17 pages) and the discussion of the regulations and why they are necessary (624 pages).  The 17 pages are attached, the 624 pages are too big to attach, so a link is provided.

Aloha and Drone On!
FAA UAS Regulations

PART 107 SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.pdf

79.41 KB, Down times: 5

2016-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules