High humidity area, rust spots on drone.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
buggysharp
lvl.1

United States

I am having some issues keeping my drone rust free. I love in Hawaii and fly constantly. I never fly with any sort of rain but there is always enough liquid in the air to condensate a bit on the drone.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for keeping my drone rust free? I store it indoors in a dry location shut it doesn't seem to be enough. My biggest worry is that the inside is going to rust and my drone will drop into the ocean one day.

Thank you for your time and any advice you have.
2016-7-4
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

With all that salt air, it is likely inevitable. Not to mention I doubt stainless steel screws were used (I presume that is where the rust is coming from?). You can replace the screws but the internals are beyond your control if they corrode or not. This is just an uneducated guess of course.
2016-7-4
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

I can help you here even though I don't currently have my own Phantom 4 just yet. I am saving up for one but have done extensive research on the drone itself. I know quite a bit and have found various stuff to purchase to keep the drone safe.

There's this company called 'Case Club' that manufacture cases for various different drones, with built-in foam cut-outs, and there's one that's made specially for the Phantom 4. It's rather pricey at around $179.95 but it's high quality with it's precisely cut foam bits and the drone itself, along with accessories all stay in contact during transit. I'd say it's well worth the cash if you can afford it. I would also say that it's probably the best form of storage for the P4, as you can use it as a luggage set, it has small wheels at one side of the case I believe.

https://www.caseclub.com/dji-phantom-4-drone-case.htm

Either that, or purchase one of the many backpacks made for the Phantom 4.

As for preventing dust getting into the motors and damaging them, you can purchase 3D-printed soft-foam motor cap covers for the P4 from places like Aliexpress or eBay.

2016-7-4
Use props
buggysharp
lvl.1

United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-7-4 11:34
With all that salt air, it is likely inevitable. Not to mention I doubt stainless steel screws were  ...

It's actually not the screws. I'll post a picture
2016-7-4
Use props
buggysharp
lvl.1

United States

Can't seem to figure out how to post a picture directly to the forum. Anyway it's on the metal of the engine. The two front engines have it worse than the two back.
2016-7-4
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Go in the reply box and click 'Advanced'

Once on that screen, click the 'Picture' icon

Then click 'upload file'
Choose your pic.

Double click pic

Click 'confirm'

Say something about the pic 10 characters long minimum.

Click 'Participation/'

VOILA!
Despicable-me-minions.jpg
2016-7-4
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

buggysharp Posted at 2016-7-5 09:43
Can't seem to figure out how to post a picture directly to the forum. Anyway it's on the metal of th ...

If you've flown at the beach where there is salt in the moist air, it can precipitate onto the aircraft including the motors. Salt will cause corrosion.  Your best bet is to wipe down the aircraft after use prior to storing making sure it is dry.  Even better would be to give it a wipe with a damp cloth with clean water.    Also, store the aircraft with some silica dessicant, (those packets you get with electronics and such that you usually throw away), that will keep any moisture away when in stoage.
silica.JPG

I throw a couple of these in my pack:
absorb.JPG

It sounds like your motors might also have been attacked from oils etc from your hands, it can also start corrosion/rusting.   I believe they are aluminium though and won't "rust" as such, they may go dull/white.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-51256-1-1.html
2016-7-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Salt air is hard on the metal. As previously said a damp cloth and a good wipe down.
maybe a tad gun oil or something like that on the motors. Not sure how well that would work.maybe even some corrosion X.
Don't know how well those things wourld work.

2016-7-4
Use props
buggysharp
lvl.1

United States

Thank you all. I do give it a good wipe down after each use. I would add pictures but it says less than 1000kb and I don't know a simple way to dumb down the picture to that size.
I was wondering how effective it would be to give it an incredibly light coating of motor oil of some type? Does anyone have any experience with that.

Also thank you so very much for all of your help!!
2016-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules