Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The S-Log thread
1506 9 2016-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

s-log.png

What is it?
Where is it mentioned in the documentation, if at all.
Are there further resources on the web to help edumacate?
What is your favorite way to use it?

Discuss!

Chris

2016-7-6
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

A typo me-thinks.
2016-7-6
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
United States

S-log2?

Anyone?
2016-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sony format, presumably an equivalent to D-Log,
2016-7-7
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
United States

Okay then, new question!

What is D-Log and what do we do with it?
2016-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look at this Link. I don't use it myself, I've even seen comment that it was a wasted option on this level of camera (The P4 camera).

Or This gives a bit more detail perhaps.
2016-7-8
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-7-8 16:55
Okay then, new question!

What is D-Log and what do we do with it?

ELI5
What is LOG?
when you apply LOG profiles to images, they are recorded with an "S"-curve like contrast/levels curve. A normal exposure is a line (from darkest to lightest values). That results in slightly overexposed dark tones (= lighter than normal) and slightly underexposed light tones (=darker than normal) in your image. It creates a sort of washed out look that feels flat.

What does that do?
it allows the camera to record more information in the extrem dark + light parts of the image. We all know the effect when you take a photo of something against a very bright sky... either sky looks normal (then object is too dark), or object looks normal (then sky is just white). LOG brings down highlights and lifts black shadows = more even picture.

Why use it?
When done correctly, you will end up with a more rich, dynamic image.

Why not use it?
1. the picture need to be processed in post to correct for the washed out look = increase contrast and saturation again. this sounds easier than it actually is. you may end up with strange looking colors if you dont know what you are doing. It is tricky to get back to a natural realistic looking image. Look for LUTs DLOG-709. Or use that DJI converter tool.. although it didnt work for me.
2. in a lot of situations when you dont have extreme contrasts in your images, LOG will not help at all.

Example below, go to 3:05 for a before/after comparison

2016-7-13
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
United States

Okay, dynamic range I understand. So it's a way to capture both the highlight and shadow detail, where normally you would have to sacrifice one of the other (expose for highlight detail and lose shadow detail to black, or expose for shadow detail and blow-out the highlights).

Without post processing, it looks flat because the image lacks contrast between the darkest and lightest, since they were both pulled toward the center.

I guess I'm at a loss of what is actually happening in post. Is it applying an curve that is the opposite of the curve that was used during capture / exposure? I don't imagine that it would 100% reverse the curve, because then you would be back with loss of highlights or shadow detail. I guess that 'decoding' that code would be pushing both as far as they go before they clip (turn to 0s or 255s), eh?

Googling for LUTs shows a whole different world of this stuff in video. I have a lot to learn. Anyone have recommended LOG / LUTs 101 class pointers?

2016-7-13
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-7-14 03:02
Okay, dynamic range I understand. So it's a way to capture both the highlight and shadow detail, whe ...

Right, you dont just reverse the brightness levels, or you re back to square 1. It starts with adding contrast and saturation.

below video is pretty good, but you need to know your way around Premiere Pro. and you need Premiere Pro

good luck

2016-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sebb Posted at 2016-7-13 17:09
What is LOG?
when you apply LOG profiles to images, they are recorded with an "S"-curve like contra ...

What a good explanation, I think you've just converted me to D-Log  

I hadn't really thought about the gains there might be in darker regions (lower luminance)
2016-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules