Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IMU Calbiration Frequency - Offical line
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all,

Does anyone know (or can any DJI reps confirm) whether or not I need to be doing an IMU and Gimbal re-cablibration after a firmware update?  I know some people say they always do but it would be good to know the official advice on this?

Thanks
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Homestead72, it is recommended to do these calibrations after the firmware update.
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Yep. Also do it when you see any signs of drones flying abnormally and want to repair it.
2016-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

After already having updated the Go app, I did my IMU and Gimbal calibration earlier, after leaving my drone outside on the cool evening balcony, for 25mins.

What an awesome night... Wish I could have stepped out and flown the coop. But that will happen later on, today... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-7-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-7-7 17:37
Hello Homestead72, it is recommended to do these calibrations after the firmware update.

If it's so important, why is it that DJI don't even mention this in the manual or in firmware upgrade instructions?

I've never done an IMU calibration followinga firmware update and never noticed any ill effects.  
Same for lots of others.
If it really mattered, DJI would recommend it where it matters.
2016-7-7
Use props
wmichaels1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-7 05:43
If it's so important, why is it that DJI don't even mention this in the manual or in firmware upgr ...

"If it really mattered, DJI would recommend it where it matters."

It appears they have.  Right here.  In their official Forum.
2016-7-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wmichaels1 Posted at 2016-7-8 03:50
"If it really mattered, DJI would recommend it where it matters."

It appears they have.  Right he ...

Not important enough to mention it in the manual or update instructions which is the only information almost  all users ever get to see?
What tiny fraction of users do you think read what's posted here?
Add it to the rest  of the misinformation that you see here (including from official DJI sources).
2016-7-7
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-8 06:15
Not important enough to mention it in the manual or update instructions which is the only informat ...

Are you really saying that you consider the manual to be gospel, that all things Phantom 3 are in the documentation and well written?

I like DJI products.
I do not like DJI documentation.
I am in the content business, have been for over 3 decades.
Do not trust DJI documentation to be all encompassing, nor up to date.

Just look at the DJI GO app. Trying finding mention of all of the things you can find in the GO app. The items you find missing fall in this category: they exist in a DJI product, yet are not documented at all. They cannot all be useless functions.
2016-7-19
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

knock on wood.....I have never calibrated anything with my Phantom 3 Pro.
It's that good out of the box or I'm just damn lucky! I'll take it!
One thing that is very annoying is that every RTH landing is always right on top of my head.
By the way, I always cancel RTH once I have sight of the Phantom. I don't trust auto landing.
I can land it myself thank you....
2016-7-19
Use props
ed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2791040 ft
United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-19 15:32
knock on wood.....I have never calibrated anything with my Phantom 3 Pro.  
It's that good out of  ...

I have never calibrated the IMU on 3 Phantoms to date. P2V+, P3A and P4.  I check the values before flight. And if a firmware update I check custom app settings.

Compass only when I go very far from my last flight.
2016-7-19
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

ed@edbecker.net Posted at 2016-7-19 15:39
I have never calibrated the IMU on 3 Phantoms to date. P2V+, P3A and P4.  I check the values befor ...

Ed,

Can you do us a huge favor and document the specific values that you are looking for to determine whether the  Phantom values are good enough?
2016-7-19
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-19 16:54
Ed,

Can you do us a huge favor and document the specific values that you are looking for to determ ...

Just select the check IMU button. I dont recalibrate if it says it is OK. My compass MOD value is about 1500. Slight variance either side.
2016-7-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-7-20 08:29
Are you really saying that you consider the manual to be gospel, that all things Phantom 3 are in  ...

I'm with you regarding the quality of the documentation and think it's a starting point and use the experience gained from my own flying and the collective wisdom of other experienced users to fill in a lot of blanks.

I do think that if calibrating the IMU after firmware updates was important DJI would have mentioned that in the manual and/or firmware update instructions.
I have never re-calibrated the IMU or compass following any updates, and like other experienced flyers I communicate with, have never seen any problems because of this.
2016-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules