Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hi-Aerial HB25 Boost Hood Review
3852 12 2016-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

It has finally arrived! After 18 days of waiting. Actually, one arrived a week ago but the seller sent the wrong one. (Anyone can make a mistake!) These are hard to find. I have found only one person selling them and that was on Amazon. $99.99 + $4.49 shipping. I found the same product being sold by the same person a few days later on ebay for $99.99 with free shipping. (Could have saved $4.49…..)

Anyway, to the point. The product has several attractive attributes. It is in 2 parts and assembles easily holding itself together with magnets imbedded within. It is very lightweight yet sturdy. I am not sure exactly what it is made of. The box has a statement on it that Leather is a natural product and has irregularities in color, etc., but I find it difficult to believe that it is leather. It seems to be vinyl with a nice velvety inside. Overall, very good quality materials.

The hood is very well thought out and nicely made. My first time assembling it was frustrating. The way it ‘wants’ to come together puts too much bulk between the back of the ipad and the bottom making it impossible to be grasped by the device holder / clamp. Then I realized that the 2 inner folds can be flipped up against the sides eliminating this problem. (Why is it that manufacturers do not include simple instructions with their product?) With these folds out of the way, the hood is able to be clamped securely in the holder. (See photo) There are also 2 velcro straps on the underside that act as a backup to protect the unit from falling if it does become unclamped from the device holder.

At this point you attach the second section. It self-aligns due to its magnets and goes together nicely. I really like the cut of the upper edge with a deeper curve to follow the forehead and a nice ‘nose notch’ that was missing on the hoodman version. With this contour I can easily become ‘immersed’ in the hood with my eyeglasses on and seal out virtually all outside light / glare.

The access to the screen is much better than other hoods. There are 8 strips of elastic near the bottom making it fairly easy to get to the screen. (See photo) Access hole to connect the lightening cord is a bit too small. There is no access hole to get to the sleep button of the ipad. That would have been nice.

Pros:
  • Excellent design.
  • Excellent build.
  • Nice materials.
  • Better access to screen through slats.
  • Magnets to hold it together.
  • Great fit.
  • Contour cut at top.

Cons:
  • Cost a bit pricey.
  • No instructions
  • No access hole to Sleep button.

In conclusion, I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I am overall very happy with it, it’s a keeper.

Setup - rear

Setup - rear

Setup - front

Setup - front

Access

Access

Lower detail

Lower detail

Folded flat

Folded flat

Screen

Screen
2016-7-10
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I like how no light leaks in from the bottom, Thanks for the review.

Let me know in time if you find any challenges with it, I am going to get another one for my  other" Coach Transmitter" and maybe I will try this one.  I do love my Hoodman but keep me posteed and thanks for the review.

donnie
2016-7-10
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>

Donnie Posted at 2016-7-10 23:27
I like how no light leaks in from the bottom, Thanks for the review.

Let me know in time if you fin ...

I field tested the hood today. No complaints whatever. It worked perfectly.
Screen access much better. Light intrusion = Zero.
The only thing that I noticed was that after flying 3 batteries, maybe an hour of continuous use, the Ipad got pretty warm. I don't think it is anything to worry about, it wasn't that warm, but an observation all the same. After all, it was about 94 degrees in the sun today.

FT1.jpg
FT2.jpg
FT3.jpg
2016-7-10
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-7-10 18:32
Screen access much bet ...

Very cool , thanks for sharing

donnie
2016-7-11
Use props
canadagoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80499 ft
Canada

North American distributor is https://www.mikeharrisaerials.com/hi-aerial-.html The web is being updated but we are now authorized to sell in the US and in Canada
2016-9-4
Use props
stealle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-7-10 18:32
Screen access much better. Light intrusion = Zero.
The only thing that I noticed was that after flying 3 batteries, maybe an hour of continuous use, the Ipad got pretty warm. I don't think it is anything to worry about, it wasn't that warm, but an observation all the same. After all, it was about 94 degrees in the sun today.

Thanks for the review. I like the looks of this Hi-Aerial Hood. I'm a little concerned about the heat.  Seems like a better design would be to make it white on the outside to reflect light/heat while keeping it black on the inside.  Are you still liking it? How's it holding up...
2016-12-9
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

stealle Posted at 2016-12-10 08:52
Thanks for the review. I like the looks of this Hi-Aerial Hood. I'm a little concerned about the heat.  Seems like a better design would be to make it white on the outside to reflect light/heat while keeping it black on the inside.  Are you still liking it? How's it holding up...

Still love it!!

I have had no troubles at all, even on 98 degree day in Florida.
Heat not a problem. As I stated before it is not that high, just a bit warmer than without the hood.
2016-12-10
Use props
Phantomjim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97539 ft
United Kingdom

This is what solved the problem for me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121692 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2016-12-18
Use props
Cmartin3977
Second Officer
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

So exactly how does this allow you to access the screen if need be? I assume this is just for the operator of the camera and not for the pilot?
2016-12-18
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cmartin3977 Posted at 2016-12-19 01:17
So exactly how does this allow you to access the screen if need be? I assume this is just for the operator of the camera and not for the pilot?

Reach through the strips of elastic to access screen. I use it as a solo operator. (Pilot)
http://forum11.djicdn.com/data/a ... b7lpqikvxzihscw.jpg
2016-12-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-12-18 13:51
Reach through the strips of elastic to access screen. I use it as a solo operator. (Pilot)
http://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/201607/10/225703gb7lpqikvxzihscw.jpg

Mine just arrived ,so far looks like a nice piece of Kit, will test tomorrow if I get time.  

donnie
2017-1-18
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-18 11:24
Mine just arrived ,so far looks like a nice piece of Kit, will test tomorrow if I get time.  

donnie

Glad it got there. Keep us posted....
2017-1-18
Use props
canadagoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80499 ft
Canada

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-18 11:24

donnie

Hi Donnie, hope you are liking the hood.  Let the gang know your thoughts when you have had chance to use it
2017-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules