Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 and Inspire with X3
1263 17 2016-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave E
Second Officer
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I recently bought a Phantom 4 thinking that the video quality would be the same as from the X3 on my Inspire. The camera specs look the same on paper. Unfortunately the video quality at 1080 is poor and in 4K it is terrible. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dave.
2016-7-10
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Unless there is a problem with your machine, the quality should be the same as it is the same camera.
Without seeing samples people can only guess what your problem might be.
2016-7-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Dave, like Lab says above, it is recommended to upload some 1080P and 4K original video files to dropbox and post the link here.  
2016-7-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What are you judging the quality from, what you see on your device? The only true place to see the real video is on the SD card in the aircraft. You need to copy the file off the SD card onto a decent, capable, computer then look at it.
2016-7-10
Use props
jmims
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

One mistake I made was editing video through the DJI app. The video on the app is transmitting in lower resolution from the bird during flight. Always review and edit directly from the SD card. I can tell you that the P4 video is pretty darn good for me...
2016-7-10
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys. I am viewing the files from the card on a Mac. I've attached the links.
The first is at 1080 60fps, inspire first followed by P4. The second is P4 at 4K. All are in dlog after being shortened in iMovie for file size but with nothing changed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/64iblu ... 2060%20fps.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/90mp04q0w1v1ip7/P4%204K.mp4?dl=0
You will see that there is very little definition in the P4 footage and even if I  use the P4 LUT in da Vinci and play with the mid tones it's still terrible.
I hope you guys can help.
Dave.
2016-7-11
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did anyone view the videos and any comments on picture quality?
2016-7-11
Use props
royalakshay

India

yes it looks bad
2016-7-12
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sure does royal. I think I have a faulty P4 camera. The aircraft itself flies superbly however.
2016-7-12
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Dave E Posted at 2016-7-12 16:44
It sure does royal. I think I have a faulty P4 camera. The aircraft itself flies superbly however.

I think you maybe right camera or FW fault,looks very bad
2016-7-12
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

Don't use DLog for colour, use 'None' or 'DJIColour'
2016-7-12
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for your input Guys. I am going to return it as there seems to be a major fault with the video quality.
2016-7-13
Use props
Exib
Captain
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not sure why its looking like that I have had excellent footage from the P4 camera
2016-7-13
Use props
mikeej
New

United Kingdom

It's a codec/detail thing. I get the same flying low to the ground sometimes - essentially the camera just grabs more info than the codec can handle.

Ways I found around it -

1. Fly higher. Makes less motion, less change per frame, codec handles it better.
2. Drop the sharpness setting down. Less detail. I used -2 -1 0. Try -3 though the closer to the ground you go.
3. Use 1080/60. 4K better for high up low motion, 1080/60 better for low down high motion.
4. Turn off 3D noise reduction. Grass/anything highly detailed tends to mess with it and it goes mad causing blocking/pixelation.
2016-7-13
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mikeej Posted at 2016-7-13 18:25
It's a codec/detail thing. I get the same flying low to the ground sometimes - essentially the camer ...

Thanks for that info mikeej. The settings for those video's were -2 for contrast, sharpness and saturation and 3d noise reduction was off. On that note, I am considering an X5R for my Inspire. Do you know whether those issues would be apparent on that? I presume (and hope) that they will not.  
2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Dave E Posted at 2016-7-13 05:02
Thanks for your input Guys. I am going to return it as there seems to be a major fault with the vide ...

Glad you figured it out
2016-7-14
Use props
mikeej
New

United Kingdom

Ah bugger. You're doing all the right things then. Maybe you have got a dodgy one. Just for comparison here's some low height 4K from my P4. This was everything default, auto. No sharpness changes etc.

https://youtu.be/QyHIuWPglqo

As you can see it's not perfect, but it's good - and no blockyness.

As far as I know the X5R records simultaneously to a micro sd and the SSD. The video on the SD card is same bitrate/codec as the P4, video on the SSD is raw and requires some processing to turn into into prores 422 etc.

Inspire/X5R is best quality you can get without building a custom system. I wish I had one, but I also wish I had a Lamborghini. Toys like that don't come cheap!  
2016-7-14
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mikeej Posted at 2016-7-14 15:46
Ah bugger. You're doing all the right things then. Maybe you have got a dodgy one. Just for comparis ...

Cheers mikeej. Instead of a Lamborghini how would a Porsche GT3 do? Lego have recently brought one out with 2700 ish parts. Yes I bought one! I love toys me!!! lol
2016-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules