Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3 pro thinks it's stating at sea level everywhere
1746 29 2016-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

First week of June 2016- I updated to FW 1.9.3 and software 2.8.xx whatever.
Since then even though on screen my starting height on ground displays as 0' and while flying displays properly at actual height, when I get the dngs into Lightroom the altitude shows as what corresponds to height above sea level and GPS from there.
I live in Chicago where at the lakefront we are at approx 597' above sea level.
So when I fly to 400', my images are tagged as shot at 997'. Which is not legal in an urban area.

I was in rural farmland last weekend and the height above sea level there is approx 900', I was reaching "Maximum altitude" before getting to 700' on screen.

How did this happen and how can I correct it??!
It seems to fly fine and I've had no problems other than not having ability to go past the cumulative height of my location and actual- which is really annoying- but I can imagine at some point that it could be a real problem if the P3 pro thinks it's really 600' higher than it really is.
Help...
I can post a log or a raw file somewhere if will help.
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"it could be a real problem if the P3 pro thinks it's really 600' higher than it really is"
"So when I fly to 400', my images are tagged as shot at 997'. Which is not legal in an urban area".

It's just DJI using GPS altitude data for the Exif info rather than barometer data that they used to use.
Your Phantom doesn't think it's higher than it really is because the Phantom doesn't use the highly inaccurate GPS altitude data for flight.
There's no regulations against flying more than 400 ft above sea level.
Regulations are concerned with how high your Phantom is above the ground below it.

No-one knows why DJI have changed the altitude data provided in Exif.
GPS altitude data is so inaccurate that it is completely useless to anyone.
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try shooting a photo in RAW, JPEG uses GPS altitude and RAW uses the barometer.If you are shooting RAW, can you provide a few photos and I will send them to R&D to see what the deal is.
As far as the app saying max altitude, what do you have it set at?
2016-7-12
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-12 12:47
Try shooting a photo in RAW, JPEG uses GPS altitude and RAW uses the barometer.If you are shooting R ...

labroides - it might not be a problem if I stay in Chicago and ONLY want to go 400'.
But what if I go to the mountains in Colorado? Might not let me take off at all.
This past weekend I was in rural Illinois where the altitude on the ground - according to DJI was 819' at my Home point - before taking off. And it would not let me get above 593' -  because it thinks the bird was at 1,412'.
Which is where it told me "Maximum Altitude Reached" and would not go higher.

You don't think that if the P3 thinks it's over 800' higher than it actually is is a problem?
I do.....

DJI Ken - here are a couple DNGs - one on the ground and one where it told me I could not go higher, even though on screen I was at approx 593' from take off home point.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z09e1 ... mOnmRbfm74bDwa?dl=0

I can send more if you like from Chicago area and from Michigan. Same issues.
Never had this before my last firmware update.
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 05:56
labroides - it might not be a problem if I stay in Chicago and ONLY want to go 400'.
But what if I ...

I'll forward the photos on, You do not have max altitude enabled correct?
Also, if you can try to reinstall the firmware to see if it fixes it.
2016-7-12
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-12 17:08
I'll forward the photos on, You do not have max altitude enabled correct?
Also, if you can try to  ...

Thanks very much. I don't think it should be doing this. Does yours?

Does the GEO thing affect this? I just realized that is checked - as it's new I never thought to look at it.
No restrictions on. No Max altitude or distance checked.
How do I Re-install firmware? Won't it just say - "firmware version is the same" and not do anything?
Or is there a procedure to force it to Re-install?
Also I'm using an Apple iPad - iOS version 9.3.2 and the latest DJI Go- 2.8.3 and v 1.9.60 on the Phantom 3 Pro
RC v. 1.6.0
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 06:27
Thanks very much. I don't think it should be doing this. Does yours?

Does the GEO thing affect th ...

I don't think GEO has anything to do with it. The latest IOS is 2.8.4.
You reinstall the firmware by just repeating the process as you did before.
You can also try to downgrade to 1.8.8 and see what happens.
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 07:56
But what if I ...

"You don't think that if the P3 thinks it's over 800' higher than it actually is is a problem?
I do....."

The height shown in Exif data for a photo is NOT what the Phantom uses for flight.
Whatever height you see in the app is the height that the Phantom thinks it is at.

"And it would not let me get above 593' -  because it thinks the bird was at 1,412'."
What height do you have set in the app for max Altitude?
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 11:52
I don't think GEO has anything to do with it. The latest IOS is 2.8.4.
You reinstall the firmware  ...

Ken .. I know you've said that DJi are going to stick with the stupid idea of using GPS data in Exif info for photos.
But why ?
GPS altitude data is wildly inaccurate and variable.
It's completely useless to everyone and there just can't be any good reason to use it.
2016-7-12
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

If the height in the Go app is what it thinks it is then WHY is it limiting  my my height to 600-700' max?? The P3 pro can go 1600' high. I've done it. And now it won't. And the max it allows me to go is almost exactly the amount that equals 1600 less the height above sea level I start at.
When Home point is set, it should be 0'. And have 1600' possible to go. I've had that capability for a year. Only stopped now. In sorry but I do not agree.
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-13 10:08
Ken .. I know you've said that DJi are going to stick with the stupid idea of using GPS data in Exi ...

Here's a friends P4 photos both in JPEG and RAW to see what the EXIF data shows.
He said he was at 200ft in the app.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Atil9WC21-BZk3oZsubVUAvoZkko
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 12:59
If the height in the Go app is what it thinks it is then WHY is it limiting  my my height to 600-700 ...

Probably a coincidence because Exif data in a photo doesn't override what the Phantom is telling the app.
You mentioned updating firmware - this resets app settings to defaults.
What Max Altitude setting do you have in the app?
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 13:00
Here's a friends P4 photos both in JPEG and RAW to see what the EXIF data shows.
He said he was at ...

Thanks.
They both show 200 feet.
Has DJI changed things back to barometer altitude now for all Exif data?
Have the fixed this for the P3 as well?
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-13 11:18
Thanks.
They both show 200 feet.
Has DJI changed things back to barometer altitude now for all Exi ...

Honestly I don't know, last I heard was JPEG altitude was GPS and RAW was barometer.
I will find out for sure though and if it's throughout the DJI aircraft.
2016-7-12
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

I have no limits set on height or range. Always always shoot Raw +Jpg. Only process the raw.
The update was in June. I've flown at least 10 times since. Gone over settings multiple times. Telling you this isn't right. Not a newbie....
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 14:55
I have no limits set on height or range. Always always shoot Raw +Jpg. Only process the raw.
The up ...

Yes ... but what height you have showing in the app IS the height that the Phantom thinks it is at.
The Phantom sends its telemetry data to the app and that's where the numbers come from.

If you are getting a Max Altitude Reached message, the Phantom believes it has reached a Max Alt limit, either whatever is set in the app or the 500 metre above home limit that is hard wired into the aircraft.

Your Phantom doesn't think it is starting at sea level because it jas no knowledge of sea level.
All heights are relative to Home and your app is conforming with that.
2016-7-12
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Well, I'll double check today & make sure no limit was set. Pretty sure I left it blank. But I have been wrong once before....
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Labroids- have to apologize. That makes twice I've been wrong...
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Lost the rest of my post. Apparently before I went to Michigan on 7/5 I changed my usual 120 meter restriction (400') and set it to 210. Thought I'd cleared it. Oops. But it is still writing the home point at hight above sea level in the metadata. It did not do this before the last update. Started as 0' at home point and all images reflected the height flown from there.
Is there anyway we can get that data written or added?
DJI- we really want to see that info. Please give it back!
At least I do. When I'm going over images and planning return flights to an area I want to know my height above the ground from home point- without having to calculate where it started less sea level.  
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 21:52
Lost the rest of my post. Apparently before I went to Michigan on 7/5 I changed my usual 120 meter r ...

I knew something wasn't right. Glad it was just a setting.
And the EXIF data shows does show AGL not MSL.
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Guess I'm a bit confused on the terminology. AGL is "Above Ground Level"?
Isn't Ground level the Home Point?
MSL is level above  Sea Level correct?
If my EXIF data is supposed to be showing AGL, then why does is show as 995' (in Chicago) when I was at 400' altitude from home point?
Really not trying to beat a dead horse- but need to be clear on why it's reading this way when it did not before. It's a PITA...
And again, is this how everyone else's data is now reading or do you still get "0'" on fist shot on the ground and go up from there?
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Sorry to beat the dead horse. I'm a little confused on the terminology. Does AGL mean "Above Ground Level" ? And MSL - Height above average Sea Level? If my EXIF data shows the AGL- why does it display (in LR) and in the file info- as ~595' while on the ground?
And is there any reason DJI can't give us BOTH numbers?  If only one, I want the AGL. Starting at 0'.
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Sorry for the multiple posts. Didn't see that it posted the first...
2016-7-13
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-14 02:10
Guess I'm a bit confused on the terminology. AGL is "Above Ground Level"?
Isn't Ground level the Ho ...

At least that's one problem eliminated.

But you are 100% right if your Exif data is giving GPS altitude data.
The error in GPS altitude data make it completely useless.
2016-7-13
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-13 21:44
At least that's one problem eliminated.

But you are 100% right if your Exif data is giving GPS al ...

THANK YOU! I'm not crazy....
How do we get DJI to listen on this? What are the proper channels to put this issue and our requests in front of the right people??
2016-7-14
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 09:01
I knew something wasn't right. Glad it was just a setting.
And the EXIF data shows does show AGL  ...

can you copy and paste the "AGL" data from my exif info you are referring to?
Because it's not AGL from my point of view.
And Ken- are you able to ask them to correct this issue? Or point me to who I should write to?
2016-7-14
Use props
i r p
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AGL "Above Ground Level"  is a common abbreviation pilots use, and MSL stands for "Mean Sea Level" but neither of those precisely describe the number you'll see on your screen or on photos. The app and photos actually show you the height above your takeoff point, either compensated for how far that point is above MSL or not.

To understand this, imagine an 800ft hill. If you take off at the bottom and try to fly up the side to the top, staying 10 feet above the ground all the way, you'll hit the drone's height ceiling when you are about half way up, because you'll be 400ft above your takeoff point, even though you're only 10ft AGL.
2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-15 01:50
can you copy and paste the "AGL" data from my exif info you are referring to?
Because it's not AGL ...

I see now, I've forward the DNG file to R&D.
2016-7-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

i r p Posted at 2016-7-15 04:12
AGL "Above Ground Level"  is a common abbreviation pilots use, and MSL stands for "Mean Sea Level" b ...

Unfortunately after Firmware 1.4 for the Phantom 3 Pro and advanced, DJI replaced the altitude shown in Exif info for photos with GPS altitude data. (height above sea level and very inaccurate)
Previously they had used barometer data (height above home point)
2016-7-14
Use props
witen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Hong Kong

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2016-7-13 21:52
Lost the rest of my post. Apparently before I went to Michigan on 7/5 I changed my usual 120 meter r ...

HI  Jeff, Maybe I can offer a solution. I have met the same issue, but DJI Guys have told that they  have stored the relative altitude in the Image XMP also, you can try to use the tool to view the relative altitude, such as ExifTool or KUSO Exif Viewer or Adobe PS.
2016-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules