Class D Warning Zone?
63500 23 2016-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Thanks to this forum, I have learned so much that is absent in the so-called “Manual”.  Among them is how to read the flight logs!  I am flying in a neighborhood development that has no houses yet.  Each log starts with the message: “The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class D). Fly with caution here.” What does this mean?  I am no where near an airport or other restricted space.

2016-7-13
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

are you perhaps somewhere close to a helicopter pad (hospital maybe) or some small airfield... I would check my general area for something like that... (class D usually reflects a small airport or landing field with no actual transponders and extends about 4 nautical miles from the point of origin) I have a small airport like that very close to me, however it hasn't made it to the No fly list as of yet...
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is your location and I will look it up.
From the map page, tap the gear icon then go to Class D Airspace and choose "Show Warning Zones & Prompts and that should tell you the airport you are by.
Please post a screenshot.
2016-7-13
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 13:47
What is your location and I will look it up.
From the map page, tap the gear icon then go to Class D ...

I will next time i go flying.  
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

bob37 Posted at 2016-7-14 02:49
I will next time i go flying.

Sounds good.
2016-7-13
Use props
New

Norway

Hi!

I just got this message on my Phantom 4 after allmost 200 flights in the area

Screenshot attached

Snapshot from google maps with distance to closest airport

Snapshot from google maps with distance to closest airport

Screenshot from Dji Go app

Screenshot from Dji Go app
2016-8-24
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I get Class D warnings when I fly in areas frequented by aircraft (like lining up for a runway miles away). They fly right over me on the way to one of the airports in town but they are usually thousands of feet up still.
2016-8-25
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

Go to the website "skyvector.com" and look up the control zones in your area.Class D control zones are from ground level to 2500 feet and you need permission to fly there and must be in contact with air traffic control.  I got the same warning on a flight even though I was a mile or two outside the class D CZ.
2017-2-13
Use props
AlexFlanker
New
United States

Johnnyv Posted at 2017-2-13 03:58
Go to the website "skyvector.com" and look up the control zones in your area.Class D control zones are from ground level to 2500 feet and you need permission to fly there and must be in contact with air traffic control.  I got the same warning on a flight even though I was a mile or two outside the class D CZ.

Hi, I am new to drone and today just flew Mavic and saw the classD warning, so like you said, have you got the permission of them? and then? you are free of such warning? thanks
2017-5-15
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

AlexFlanker Posted at 2017-5-15 12:36
Hi, I am new to drone and today just flew Mavic and saw the classD warning, so like you said, have you got the permission of them? and then? you are free of such warning? thanks

Its a warning that you are in or close to a class D zone. You cannot fly in a class D zone unless you are in radio contact with the control tower so I doubt they will give you permission.
2017-5-24
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Johnnyv Posted at 2017-5-24 02:40
Its a warning that you are in or close to a class D zone. You cannot fly in a class D zone unless you are in radio contact with the control tower so I doubt they will give you permission.

I get a class D warning from a small local airport, I think I;ve seen 1 or 2 aircraft in the 6 months I;ve flown near here. I call the tower, talk to control & they say Thanks for calling, grant me permission to fly.
Have never told me I can't fly, except for one time,  tower advised me not to fly as there was an electrical storm warning for the whole area.
2017-5-24
Use props
Hylle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 479 ft
United States

I took my drone out to a park in South Florida, then a park ranger came and told me I couln't fly in that park but there were 2 other parks in Palm Beach county that allowed drones. One of them was West Delray regional Beach http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks ... elray-Regional.aspx    . Great, so I took my drone out there and I got a D warning which were very strange since it is one out of 2 parks in Palm Beach county that allow drones? Beside that it is a complete disaster if DJI force a landing if a person fly into a NFZ or any other place for that matter. That could cause serious damage to property or even worse people. My suggestion to DJI is that the drone activate the RTH like 10 feet before it reaches the NFZ. That is more safe for everybody.
2017-8-23
Use props
djiuser_RfF73YL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17116 ft
United Kingdom

Johnnyv Posted at 2017-5-24 02:40

Hi All,

New here so sorry if this has been said before but i thought as the drone (Mavic Pro) is under 7kg i could fly in Class D areas but had to stay under a set height? And of course fly responsibly. I'm in the UK by the way and noticed most of where I live (London) is one big blue zone.

Lovin' the drone, my first! Almost lost it though when it I ran it a bit too far into it's emergency RC battery and it started to return to home. Shizer! I'd not set it again after taking it off leading to an amusing scene of me running after my drone hoping it would land sooner than later!

2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_es73bDu
lvl.1

United States

Hello my name is Kevin and I'm new to this as well. I got this message while flying at my son's school. Is a school in this class? Thanks
2018-1-21
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

OMG if you can go to the apps store and look for B4U FLY app or go to the FAA.Gov web site and do a search on UAS or drones and do a little reading. Also there are lots of web sites that show the 5 mile radius and airspace class around the airports. And yes if you are inside Class D airspace you must notify the airport. Please look at the FAA website. If you find that you are in Class E airspace I would look at the map DJI uses for its NFZ and if you are indeed outside of any controlled airspace then I think DJI has a software issue
2018-1-21
Use props
fans753a4333
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38950 ft
Mexico

RMJovo Posted at 2018-1-21 14:24
OMG if you can go to the apps store and look for B4U FLY app or go to the FAA.Gov web site and do a search on UAS or drones and do a little reading. Also there are lots of web sites that show the 5 mile radius and airspace class around the airports. And yes if you are inside Class D airspace you must notify the airport. Please look at the FAA website. If you find that you are in Class E airspace I would look at the map DJI uses for its NFZ and if you are indeed outside of any controlled airspace then I think DJI has a software issue

I also have the Class D warning. I'm vacationing in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico. I have my Mavic Pro this time. Last year I was here with my Phantom 2V+ and had wonderful flights right here on the beach, no warnings, etc. A couple days ago  (2018-1-21) some kind of interference almost caused me some grief. I'm still trying to understand the telemetry data. I experienced a few seconds of complete loss of control and then recovered. Gimbal and video went berserk and 2nd 4GB is useless. I believe US laws do not apply here. B4UFly doesn't tell me much. The map shows 3 little hospitals very nearby, but none of those overlapping circles.  I've decided to not fly right here until I know more.
2018-1-23
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

fans753a4333 Posted at 2018-1-23 08:13
I also have the Class D warning. I'm vacationing in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico. I have my Mavic Pro this time. Last year I was here with my Phantom 2V+ and had wonderful flights right here on the beach, no warnings, etc. A couple days ago  (2018-1-21) some kind of interference almost caused me some grief. I'm still trying to understand the telemetry data. I experienced a few seconds of complete loss of control and then recovered. Gimbal and video went berserk and 2nd 4GB is useless. I believe US laws do not apply here. B4UFly doesn't tell me much. The map shows 3 little hospitals very nearby, but none of those overlapping circles.  I've decided to not fly right here until I know more.

This just adds to the fact that DJI has software problems with the lines of code that deliver the messages and warnings. Mexico has 4 airspace classes C, D, E and G you may have been in Clas D airspace in Mexico you might have to check with there airmaps.
2018-1-23
Use props
spikeuk76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 441138 ft
United Kingdom

Bob37,

I'm also in the UK so flying under CAA rules.

Download the NATS app to give you more information in the area you are flying.

Also, search and download CAP 722 which is essential reading for all of us in the UK. CAP722 is the CAA's guidance for UAS operations.

The answer you're looking for for the airspace question is in Chapter 1, starting at page 96.
2018-1-23
Use props
Starec85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72831 ft
Switzerland

You fly close to power line
2019-3-2
Use props
Starec85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72831 ft
Switzerland

You fly near the powe line.
2019-3-2
Use props
Filipok
lvl.2
United States

Municipalities have recently begun to allocate MASSIVE areas to Class D space. It's super unfair.  If you go to Airmap.com and look it up, you'll see that in the Dallas Fort Worth area, MOST of the city and surround areas have been allocated as class D now, which is absurd.
2019-4-11
Use props
Filipok
lvl.2
United States

2019-4-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Filipok Posted at 4-11 11:48
Municipalities have recently begun to allocate MASSIVE areas to Class D space. It's super unfair.  If you go to Airmap.com and look it up, you'll see that in the Dallas Fort Worth area, MOST of the city and surround areas have been allocated as class D now, which is absurd.

I don't understand your alarmist posts.  They almost appear to be troll posts.  Municipalites don't allocate airspace.  FAA designates certain airports to certain classes - or not.  Your map shows all airports, all classes, and no classes.  It's neither fair nor unfair.  It is what it is.  So what are you trying to say?  

Maybe you don't like airmap?  Then view a sectional chart instead if it'll make you feel better.  

You must be a hobbyist.  So make a call if you want to fly.  

Simple.  

Good luck
2019-4-11
Use props
Filipok
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-11 13:38
I don't understand your alarmist posts.  They almost appear to be troll posts.  Municipalites don't allocate airspace.  FAA designates certain airports to certain classes - or not.  Your map shows all airports, all classes, and no classes.  It's neither fair nor unfair.  It is what it is.  So what are you trying to say?  

Maybe you don't like airmap?  Then view a sectional chart instead if it'll make you feel better.  

And conversely, I don't understand why you're acting like an arrogant jerk off.

Huge class D swaths of land allocated to helipads is a bit excessive, IMHO. They've literally allocated class D over most of Dallas Fort Worth. When 2.5 million people can't fly without "making a call", that's a tad nuts.

Thanks for the advice though.

2019-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules