Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikkiroo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7474 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if Dji is gonna come out with a firmware update to fix the monitoring issue with the osmo. I have no way of listening to my microphone so I can't tell if it's to loud or to soft. I hope they are working on a solution. Anyone out there have a work around to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, you can edit the volume in the sound track when you process the video with software
2016-7-15
Use props
davelent
lvl.1

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-15 17:10
Hi, you can edit the volume in the sound track when you process the video with software

Hi,
I think mikkiroo's concern goes beyond simply the volume issue. Without the ability to monitor the audio that is being recorded, we have no way of knowing if we're even getting usable audio. For instance, if the mini plug from the microphone comes loose - as it has for me several times  (using a Rode Videopro) the audio level meter will show the (unusable) camera mic level. If we're using a wireless system, we cannot know if there are audio 'hits' from nearby wiireless systems or from other sources. DJI would be very wise to give this issue some serious attention - as it is the single factor preventing the Osmo from being taken seriously as a professional tool. Thanks, Dave
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

davelent Posted at 2016-7-19 01:34
Hi,
I think mikkiroo's concern goes beyond simply the volume issue. Without the ability to monitor ...

Yeah, that makes sense.  Thank you for your input.
2016-7-18
Use props
Sheridan Adams
New

United States

I Have been using the Headphone out of my wireless receiver like a fool.  An update gave us a primitive meter on the viewing screen, so at least I can "see" that I am recording sound.  but yea, why can't I use blue tooth headphones to connect to my phone that is my monitor?  or can they make it so we get audio out of the headphone jack of the phone?  I had a shoot the other day and the audio was worse than I had hoped.  there is still a noise like a fan and a lot of dink and ding sounds.  I got a new mic that plugs in the front that I am trying.
2017-1-19
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sheridan Adams Posted at 2017-1-19 14:19
I Have been using the Headphone out of my wireless receiver like a fool.  An update gave us a primitive meter on the viewing screen, so at least I can "see" that I am recording sound.  but yea, why can't I use blue tooth headphones to connect to my phone that is my monitor?  or can they make it so we get audio out of the headphone jack of the phone?  I had a shoot the other day and the audio was worse than I had hoped.  there is still a noise like a fan and a lot of dink and ding sounds.  I got a new mic that plugs in the front that I am trying.

" I got a new mic that plugs in the front that I am trying."

You're probably going to find that you are going to hear gimbal noise  throughout the recording -- especially in 'quiet' moments. And, unless your shielding is very good -- wind noise.

The Osmo can record quite reasonable mono sound -- but you have to get the microphone a long way from the camera.

2017-1-20
Use props
Sheridan Adams
New

United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2017-1-20 07:16
" I got a new mic that plugs in the front that I am trying."

You're probably going to find that you are going to hear gimbal noise  throughout the recording -- especially in 'quiet' moments. And, unless your shielding is very good -- wind noise.

The front mic is better than I expected, but it is only good for incidental recording.  When the subject is more than 8ft away it is not good.  It also is not the best for adverse and loud environments.  My low-cost wireless is still the go to.   I have a pigtail mini phono from receiver to the Osmo, and I clip the receiver to the back of the iPhone holder upside down so it is not in the field of view.  I monitor the headphone out of the receiver, but it burns me when I forget to reset the output after other uses. Is the Osmo Input stereo or Mono?
2017-8-24
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sheridan Adams  Posted at 2017-8-24 16:09
The front mic is better than I expected, but it is only good for incidental recording.  When the subject is more than 8ft away it is not good.  It also is not the best for adverse and loud environments.  My low-cost wireless is still the go to.   I have a pigtail mini phono from receiver to the Osmo, and I clip the receiver to the back of the iPhone holder upside down so it is not in the field of view.  I monitor the headphone out of the receiver, but it burns me when I forget to reset the output after other uses. Is the Osmo Input stereo or Mono?

If you can keep your (plug-in) microphone a few feet to the left or right of the Osmo, and if the mic has wind protection,  it's not too bad.

But as there's to AGC or limiters, recording sound is always going to be a bit 'hit-or-miss'.

I rarely try.

Independent sound, matched with the Osmo's video in post seems to be the only way to go.
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules