Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Still worth the Purchase?
2617 19 2016-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mfiordalisi
lvl.1

United States

I getting ready to purchase a Phantom 3 Advanced and was reading about the Apple App store horrors and updates / firmware issues. I don't want to drop serious cheaddar on this thing if the user experience is going to be poor or shoddy. With current updates and firmware are people truely having a good experience with this drone? I would be using an iPad Air Wifi/LTE 128GB, yadda, yadda. I REALLY want to get started with the hobby and I think this looks like amazing kit, but I want to make sure that my hard earned cash isn't going to end up sitting on a shelf because of junk firmware or updates that make the thing worse. Looking for honesty here, thank you very much in advance!
2016-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Most Phantom 3 drones sold are trouble free. It's only the rare bird that has been problematic.
And if firmware updates scare you. Don't do them, until others share their positive experiences. ;-)
I have never had one negative issue with my Phantom 3 Pro' model, and have done every firmware update...

RedHotPoker
2016-7-13
Use props
kdcox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

I share RHP's positive experience.  never had a single glitch with the phamtom system itself and I have done all the firmware upgrades.  my only bad experience was realizing what a stupid mistake *I* made when I clipped a tree.  it was SO worth the purchase that I bought another one.
2016-7-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.4

United States

kdcox Posted at 2016-7-14 04:24
I share RHP's positive experience.  never had a single glitch with the phamtom system itself and I h ...

It damaged the tree that bad?  
2016-7-13
Use props
kdcox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-7-13 15:27
It damaged the tree that bad?

hahahaha very clever
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Download the DJI GO app and go to the Academy section of the P3 Advanced and you can read the full PDF manual, watch the tutorial videos, and after that I'm sure when you get your Phantom you will be fine.
Most all of the issues are user induced and can be eliminated if you understand exactly how your aircraft works, and know everything about all the features and limitations.And you are going to hear the most chatter about DJI as we are the global market leader in consumer drones and there's several hundreds of thousands out there in the world.
2016-7-13
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft

The P3 Advanced is a good choice and you'll be happy with it. Light Bridge is amazing. I had a P3S which I swapped for a P4 quickly because of the extremely short range it had. The trouble is primarily with the S model. Remember too that most of what you read on forums are from owners that are having trouble. Most Phantom pilots don't even post on here.
2016-7-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Like others, I've done all updates and had no problems with them with the exception of one.  The first time, I didn't leave it long enough and shut it down before it was done.  Like Red Hot, I also caused the only booboo by clipping a tree branch about 3 feet off the ground because I just can't get the hang of reverse controls when it is facing the wrong way.  Fly and enjoy.  Remember, you'll rarely see an original post from someone who has had no problem.  They don't even come around, usually, until they have a problem.
2016-7-13
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Product forums are often where angry people go to complain loudly and blame a lot of people other than themselves. It's not really a good way to gauge total customer satisfaction.

I got the P3P when it was brand new and have done every update. Only one went south, totally my fault, and that was fixed by just doing it over again.

The P3 platform is very stable now. We that have had the crafts since the first generation have seen a lot of improvements not just to the firmware, but also to the Go app.

Does anyone remember the old Pilot app (pre-Go app) that had almost none of the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) features and didn't even have a "set Home Point" function?

2016-7-13
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Never had a serious issue, I had a lot of suspicions as this is my first Phantom, but overall, I am not sorry I got p3A. Would p3P be better? Marginally, in my opinion. Personally I think I've seen more serious issue posts on p3Standard and p4. Happy with my p3 - even though many have seen pieces of my frustration with not being able to explain and understand every occurrence of something "weird"...  But that's life.
I would agree with the post above, GO app works quite well too.
No complaints, Advanced is a happy medium for performance of P3 but better than Standard, and cheaper than Professional, settling at 2.7K video as opposed 4K...
2016-7-13
Use props
mfiordalisi
lvl.1

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-13 21:29
Never had a serious issue, I had a lot of suspicions as this is my first Phantom, but overall, I am  ...

Thank you for this! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The Advanced looks to be a little bit better than the standard. I figure it's worth spending a few more bones to get a few more "bells and whistles" and looking at the YouTube videos sort of confirms that too. Are you running current updates and firmware on your Phantom? This would be my first try as well. I live on a farm, so plenty open fields to play in. Thanks for the help!
2016-7-13
Use props
mfiordalisi
lvl.1

United States

And thank you very much to EVERYONE else! I appreciate your honesty! And it was nice to see a Mod in here too! I agree with what you all are saying. People like to bitch and moan when something is broke and when they can not figure it out. I put the Go app on my iPad this afternoon and will look through all the manuals and watch the videos. Will probably pull the trigger some time next week. Are there other drone forums that are worth checking out? I don't mean to hijack away from the DJI forums, but maybe there is a better place with less moaning? Looking forward to my first "serious quad" Thanks everyone!
2016-7-13
Use props
BarnStangz
lvl.1

United States

Also, another quick question, do most of you guys have a few batteries as well? Seems like a good idea to have some spares for more flight time.
2016-7-13
Use props
mochorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Count me as a happy customer with my P3P!
However I have no idea about the customer care as nothing has been wrong with my bird

As for batteries, one can never have too many, honestly! I've owned my P3P for a total of 4 weeks now and have 5 batteries. That's enough for about 100 minutes of real world flying.
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, P3A, like other DJI drones, have pretty good overall review ratings.  DJI don't do cheats like fake reviews or discount for review.

11.png

22.png
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

BarnStangz Posted at 2016-7-13 22:16
Also, another quick question, do most of you guys have a few batteries as well? Seems like a good id ...

Most medium to advanced users have at least one spare battery.

Some users find the drone fun but are not enthusiastic enough to cultivate drone-flying as a hobby. They just want to keep it as a toy, to show friends, say on a party. For them, a single battery is enough.

I suggest you try the drone first, if you want to go further in this field after a few weeks, then buy an extra battery.  If there's any huge discounts or you're already in the drone field, buying extra battery would be a good idea.
2016-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Another popular forum is www.phantompilots.com

Enjoy your time while on the forum, and your drone, when you buy yours. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-7-13
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I got total of 3 batteries, some extra props, few various accessories, a soft bag (just because I am cheap, the DJI hard shell bag is very nice and great for travel!). I do run updates as they come, but I usually wait 1-2 weeks and read-up a bit. Once you decide on what you get, do get the manual and read the heck out of it - you do not want any surprises with an expensive "toy" like this. Between the DJI university, youtube tutorials, reading the manual, and the forums, you will enjoy this baby. The diff between Adv and Pro is only 4k cam, and 100watt charger (vs. 2.7K and 60watts)...  Now, the sump between standard and A/P is significant.
Good luck!
2016-7-13
Use props
BarnStangz
lvl.1

United States

Again, I want to thank everyone for the reviews / support / help! You all have made my mind rest easier! I'm going to read up and look at the videos! Looking forward to getting the Advanced and probably at least one extra battery! I know my son is pretty excited too! Thank you again!
2016-7-14
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft

Remember that a huge difference between the P3's is that the Standard and 4K use WiFi and the Advanced and the Pro use Light Bridge as does the P4. That is where you get the range and stability with your signals. With my P3S I got 300 feet (which really pissed me off) and with my P4 I went 2 miles yesterday with full signal strength remaining.
2016-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules