Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Standard Wi-Fi range
29960 23 2016-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mike.alexander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1412411 ft
United Kingdom

I recently purchased a second hand Phantom 3 Standard and have been disappointed with the range of the Wi-Fi (for live video and telemetry data). Even when flying on open ground with the nearest house about 300m away, I lose the signal a close as 30m away. From what I've read online, I was expecting around 150-200m before the Wi-Fi signal dropped. (I can still control the Phantom 3, but just can't view what the camera is seeing.) What's the typical range others get (without any Wi-Fi extender add-on)?

Given the location of the Wi-Fi antennas within the controller, I tend to always try and point the controller at the aircraft, but that doesn't appear to make any difference. Maybe I need to get even further away from houses (and the many Wi-Fi networks they have)?

I've considered adding a Wi-Fi extender (probably the ARGtek one), but I'm concerned that the fault lies with the antennas on the aircraft itself.

Any advice more experienced members can offer?
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, make sure you place your antenna like this in the video

If you already did, and get the 30m result. I suggest you contact the seller for a replacement, or if you bought from DJI.com, send an email to support@dji.com, and we'd be glad to help.
2016-7-15
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Before dumping money into it, try this first. It's cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121 ... hn=ps&ul_noapp=true
It's the parabolic antenna for less than $10 from China.
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-15 12:45
Hi, make sure you place your antenna like this in the video

https://youtu.be/P7M9JtfVwQE

Thanks for sharing the video. However, as I said in my original post, my issue is with the Wi-Fi signal, which I believe does not use the external antenna on the P3S controller, but two internal antennas either side of the external one? What advice can you give for optimal Wi-Fi signal?
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-15 13:06
Before dumping money into it, try this first. It's cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121 ... hn=ps ...

Thanks for the link, but I assume this product helps extend the range of the control signal, not the Wi-Fi signal?
2016-7-15
Use props
ajayrdshah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9311 ft
United Kingdom

Mike, return it, like I have. It's an unfixable problem. Don't waste any more time ... good luck...
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ajayrdshah Posted at 2016-7-15 14:16
Mike, return it, like I have. It's an unfixable problem. Don't waste any more time ... good luck...

Is it a known issue? Is it a problem with the remote or the Phantom 3 itself?
2016-7-15
Use props
edu0939
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mike.alexander Posted at 2016-7-15 14:19

It's a well known problem that DJI won't admit. Return your drone while you can. I returned two of them...
2016-7-15
Use props
ajayrdshah
lvl.1
United Kingdom

mike.alexander Posted at 2016-7-15 14:19

Mate, I have tried everything on every thread on here and today I finally asked the dealer to collect it ASAP. The fault is in the firmware. Really disappointed. Trust me ... send it back
2016-7-15
Use props
ajayrdshah
lvl.1
United Kingdom

edu0939@gmail.c Posted at 2016-7-15 14:25
It's a well known problem that DJI won't admit. Return your drone while you can. I returned two of ...

Lol - I'm glad you have the patience for 2 of them !!!
2016-7-15
Use props
bradleybowers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 643360 ft
United Kingdom

ajayrdshah Posted at 2016-7-15 14:27
Mate, I have tried everything on every thread on here and today I finally asked the dealer to coll ...

So it can't be fixed with a new firmware release?
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

bradleybowers Posted at 2016-7-15 15:21
So it can't be fixed with a new firmware release?

I’ve just found the following forum post that suggests the issue is with the latest firmware:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... oblem-solved.82433/

It appears that downgrading to 1.5.7 increases the range for most people, but not everyone. Someone else suggests DJI will be releasing a new firmware version in the next few days.
2016-7-15
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

Exact Problem I had. If you have firmware 1.6.8, downgrade to 1.5.7. It fixed mine. Follow the instructions in this link.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html

2016-7-15
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft

Same problem I had with my P3S right after I got it. Returned it and got a P4 and never looked back.
2016-7-15
Use props
darrenbeard19
New

mike.alexander Posted at 2016-7-15 20:51
Thanks for the link, but I assume this product helps extend the range of the control signal, not t ...

Hi Mike,

i live in a fairly built up area and found my video range was not to great depending on where i set up.

first attempt  50m altitude before loss of video and 180m distance (20m altitude) still able to control the drone past these distances

Second attempt i moved to a slight less built up are and again hit the 50m altitude before loss but distance was up to 220m before loss ( again at 20m altitude)

i researched different options for boosting my signal and come across this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna ... nal+booster+phantom

similar to the link already posted but from the uk 2 days in the post

with this i was skeptical about the wifi video link also but in flight was totaly worth the £10 i paid

hight 100m altitude and a distance of 340m (50m alttitude) i could of gone slightly more but as a newbie one step at a time haha...

I have also found when you hit the video cut off point if you return to home slightly and attempt again it will go further out and even stopping for a few seconds to let it catch up.

hope this helps
2016-7-15
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

ARGtek kit boosts both the range of the craft and the video feed.   I flew at a distance of 8840 feet yesterday evening.   It requires opening your remote control to swap out the antenna though.
2016-7-15
Use props
SanderL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 884747 ft
Netherlands

Bought my P3 standard about 4 weeks ago, had to upgrade it to the newest firmware. Living in the Netherlands, so it is in CE mode, max. distance according to DJI approx. 500mtr. Allthough I do not like `testing` equipment, In the meanwhile I flown it a distance of more then 500meters away at an altitude of approx. 30meters. It is enough for me, right now But... if reach / distance is your thing, buy another model, as I think upgrading is not the way to go.
2016-7-15
Use props
bradleybowers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 643360 ft
United Kingdom

mike.alexander Posted at 2016-7-15 16:19
I’ve just found the following forum post that suggests the issue is with the latest firmware:
htt ...

Tried downgrading, But didn't see much of a difference
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sundance Kid Posted at 2016-7-15 16:21
Exact Problem I had. If you have firmware 1.6.8, downgrade to 1.5.7. It fixed mine. Follow the instr ...

I downgraded the firmware and… wow! What a difference!! I got as far as 330m (1,080 feet) before I got nervous and brought it home (I’ve only had the Phantom for a few days, so still getting used to it). There was no picture breakup at all! Very happy!
2016-7-15
Use props
mike.alexander
lvl.1
United Kingdom

darrenbeard19 Posted at 2016-7-15 18:17
Hi Mike,

i live in a fairly built up area and found my video range was not to great depending on  ...

Are you sure that product improved the live video and telemetry signal? It looks like it only focusses the RC signal from the central antenna (not the two antennas within the body of the remote).
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

mike.alexander Posted at 2016-7-16 06:01
I downgraded the firmware and… wow! What a difference!! I got as far as 330m (1,080 feet) before  ...

Mike,
If you've only had the aircraft for a few days, I really wouldn't be venturing out too far. Especially BVLOS.
2016-7-15
Use props
darrin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

I have been dealing with this for over 3 months, The downgrade doubled my distance..1.5.7+ is the one that worked best. I also added the argtec and that seemed to improve the general connection. I also remember a setting that helped with video..a check box that allows you to record the video session to device on my phone no issue on my tablet a no go sounds like your issue...but my longest flight was on tablet...1400 feet. Every flight ends in a RTH and I finally gave in and sent back my P3S today. I ran the firmware 1.6.8 yesterday before returning and was way far from anything...couldn't get better than 600 feet..so for sure a firmware issue.
but also possibly a large number of P3S have a bad component of some sort..I will report back once returned to me..you might consider a RMA sooner than later.
cheers Darrin

the craft should go 2000+ feet with no issues by specification..1000 meters is a lot farther than that...My signal would go from full bars to zero instantly main reason I did an RMA

2016-7-15
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-15 04:06
Before dumping money into it, try this first. It's cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121 ... hn=ps&ul_noapp=true
It's the parabolic antenna for less than $10 from China.

1. The question about P3S is best in the P3S section and not in the Adv / Pro section - because you get answers like the quote here ....

The Parabolic reflector is only on the 5.8Ghz Control Antenna of a Standard Controller. The only way you can fit reflector to the WiFi 2.4Ghz antennae are if you modify to a 3rd party setup and fit stick antennae instead of the flat plate's.

Following distances are all distance out from home point and note required same distance for RTH.

I used to use the Standard ... out of box - in residential area I had anything from 30 - 600m and it was never same twice ... extremely variable.
I then modified with Icarus to get increased power on the WiFi ... then I had 300 - 700m  but more reliable.
Next I fitted ARGTEK system and had over 1000m, with 2000m in open country.

Finally and actually what led to its loss .. I had over 5000m with power boosted antennae - actually over-ran battery capability ...

The P3S is not steady in its range as too many factors affect the 5.8 and 2.4Ghz signals - not only WiFi locally - but weather as well.

Nigel
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules