2802 12 2016-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ploft
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1063035 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it possible to mount X3 camera on top of Matrice 100?  Has anyone done this or know if the camera will operate in this position?
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you are referring to the upside down position, similar to the OSMO, then it would not work. You can refer to the following video to see how high you can install the gimbal mount.

http://www.dji.com/product/matrice100/info#video
2016-7-15
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-15 13:43
If you are referring to the upside down position, similar to the OSMO, then it would not work. You can refer to the following video to see how high you can install the gimbal mount.

http://www.dji.com/product/matrice100/info#video

Why would it not work? we are planning to build a custom solution with Z3 or X3 upwards, Guidance system to do some bridge inspections. Is the problem related to the antivibration board or the camera will not work upwards? Is there some kind of a workaround?
2017-1-25
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Interested to see if this can be done. Bridge inspections are prime for UAS ops.
2017-1-25
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi chaps, done this and it will work or it did in my case on a M600, only flew once or twice with no issues. maybe it a M100 compatibility thing.
The ballance of the camera is off when its upsidedown so added some lead shot, 3g on back of camera and 5g on the side arm, using x5 with opympus 12-42 mzsame when on the osmo too.

ricci

2017-1-25
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2017-1-25 09:28
Hi chaps, done this and it will work or it did in my case on a M600, only flew once or twice with no issues. maybe it a M100 compatibility thing.
The ballance of the camera is off when its upsidedown so added some lead shot, 3g on back of camera and 5g on the side arm, using x5 with opympus 12-42 mzsame when on the osmo too.

Interesting, would you be able to post a picture, by chance? Slapping the X5 or a LiDAR on the top of our M600 would really help meet my customer's needs. Thanks
2017-1-25
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Greetings Shawn,

I never took a picture but I will do some mods but essentially it was the bottom mount inverted.

ricci
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2017-1-25 03:57
Why would it not work? we are planning to build a custom solution with Z3 or X3 upwards, Guidance system to do some bridge inspections. Is the problem related to the antivibration board or the camera will not work upwards? Is there some kind of a workaround?

It's due to how the main controller and the gimbal mount sends/receives information to the gimbal. It would not recognize an upright position as a normal position and would incur gimbal errors. The OSMO handle communicates with the gimbal to ensure that it's reading the upright position properly.
2017-1-25
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 12:59
It's due to how the main controller and the gimbal mount sends/receives information to the gimbal. It would not recognize an upright position as a normal position and would incur gimbal errors. The OSMO handle communicates with the gimbal to ensure that it's reading the upright position properly.

Okay, but we want to build a custom M100 system for bridge inspection and we need to have a camera on the top. Mounting an osmo to an m100 is not possible really - due weight and due to osmos limited transmission distance.

how about a custom solution. we mount the whole gimbal system on the top. the camera will still point down, as it would be mounted on the bottom, but we would hang it on some kind of a custom solution. It would be mounted on the battery compartment.

Or.. we leave the gimbal where it is. On the top battery compartment we will mount some very slim solution, we use the osmos gimbal extension cable and hang the camera from there.

Jamie is it so much work to make it available in firmware to be mounted on the top?
2017-1-26
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

hello,
Has the M100 an hdmi in, because if so you could mount a GoPro or similar on an aftermarket gimbal? The M600 has Lb2 aux hdmi so the onboard camera is used as navigation and the 2nd camera is the skyward facing device. Even if the camera was mounted via vibration mount and no gimbal you could just use the M100 to track a visual course, With a 4k camera and a wide angle lens you could capture high def visuals.
I know it can be done because I use a thermal camera to do overhead video of structures. Also on the M600 I extended the x5 camera mounting platform as far forward as it would go and pointed the x5 up as far as it will go, about 45º above the horizon and filmed with some of the props in the view, I had to plan the shots and zoomed in, but it worked. I bought an osmo handle, gutted the electronics out and use the pro mount to attach to the top of the craft, I know the pinouts for the x5 so just connected to the hdmi in on the lb2. This worked fine until it fell off one day due to me not tightening the clamp down enough, cost me a new lens. You would have to be confident in the electronics side but it again worked using AE lock but focusing was a pain with the app going out of range but I managed 50m line of sight. I think I buggered up the warranty though. As you might of gathered I do a lot of experimenting and sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Ricci
2017-1-26
Use props
HummingbirdSR
New
Flight distance : 4413 ft

Canada

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this. Would like to mount the X3 on top of the Matrice 100. I understand this hasn't worked in the past, obviously. Just checking if anyone has had any breakthroughs or if DJI has released updated firmware to allow for this to work.

Thanks in advance.
2017-4-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

HummingbirdSR Posted at 2017-4-11 11:26
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this. Would like to mount the X3 on top of the Matrice 100. I understand this hasn't worked in the past, obviously. Just checking if anyone has had any breakthroughs or if DJI has released updated firmware to allow for this to work.

Thanks in advance.

No additional firmware has been added to allow for the X3 to be mounted on top of the M100.
2017-4-11
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2017-1-26 18:16
hello,
Has the M100 an hdmi in, because if so you could mount a GoPro or similar on an aftermarket gimbal? The M600 has Lb2 aux hdmi so the onboard camera is used as navigation and the 2nd camera is the skyward facing device. Even if the camera was mounted via vibration mount and no gimbal you could just use the M100 to track a visual course, With a 4k camera and a wide angle lens you could capture high def visuals.
I know it can be done because I use a thermal camera to do overhead video of structures. Also on the M600 I extended the x5 camera mounting platform as far forward as it would go and pointed the x5 up as far as it will go, about 45º above the horizon and filmed with some of the props in the view, I had to plan the shots and zoomed in, but it worked. I bought an osmo handle, gutted the electronics out and use the pro mount to attach to the top of the craft, I know the pinouts for the x5 so just connected to the hdmi in on the lb2. This worked fine until it fell off one day due to me not tightening the clamp down enough, cost me a new lens. You would have to be confident in the electronics side but it again worked using AE lock but focusing was a pain with the app going out of range but I managed 50m line of sight. I think I buggered up the warranty though. As you might of gathered I do a lot of experimenting and sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Good idea. I am 80% complete with fitting a FPV camera on the M600P using a Feiyu-tech gimbal and a FLIR-Duo-R. The Feiyu-tech gimbal allows it to be installed with the camera above the gimbal mount.
2017-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules