Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My phantom 3 is gone forever
12Next >
3173 44 2016-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andy3791
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571588 ft
United Kingdom

My phantom 3 advanced just fell out the sky over water,last data i was about 116ft up i lost signal started RTH it made not the usually sounds,nothing waited and waited must have just fell into the sea
2016-7-16
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

You need to check what your settings were in the app.
It could of been set to land if it lost signal.
Sorry for your loss.
2016-7-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you want some understanding of what went wrong you need to investigate the flight data.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
It will provide a full report of all flight data.
2016-7-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to hear about that. It must feel horrible. If there was something wrong with the drone, perhaps you can get a replacement.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-17
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-17 04:14
Sorry to hear about that. It must feel horrible. If there was something wrong with the drone, perhap ...

Where from in Canada Red? Montreal here.
2016-7-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Edmonton Alberta. Living the life... Ah ha..
There are a few of us on here.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-17
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-17 06:32

Vancouver Island.
2016-7-17
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Where on the island? Sister is in Parksville. Edmonton area for me
2016-7-17
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Sorry to here your bird is gone What is your best guess as to what happened?
How many flights did you have before this incident?
Do you plan on getting another one?

Red Deer here   
2016-7-17
Use props
Photo Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 456201 ft
Canada

Calgary here Had a dream lastn night that I crashed my p34k but woke up and it's still here.
Hopefully it's warrant thing.
Take care.
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss, Andy. I'd suggest you to sync your flight log via DJI Go app and contact support@dji.com. Our tech support will look into your case.
2016-7-17
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-17 09:32

my son and family will be driving through your area next week or so...

He is due in Fairbanks AK aug 1 for new duty assignment.
Driving from North Carolina with 2 vehicles , 3 kids, 2 dogs
they have 1k done out of the total 4.5 k trip so far.

any travel tips .....lol

he is planning on shooting up that way from Montana
2016-7-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Strangely my travel tips aren't plentiful. Bring many memory cards for your cameras? Hahaha
Drink plenty of water, we have lots of it here, but buy some essentials, prices are crazy way up N.
This is the perfect time to be traveling through here. Roads are great and people are friendly. Eh? Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Photo Drone Posted at 2016-7-17 18:32
Calgary here Had a dream lastn night that I crashed my p34k but woke up and it's still here.
Hopeful ...

Normally that kind of REM, would be considered a scary nightmare. ;-)
Thankfully you woke up, when you did. No telling what sort of mayhem would have ensued later...

Did you give it a hug, in the morning? Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rigworker Posted at 2016-7-17 09:44
Where on the island? Sister is in Parksville. Edmonton area for me

Hey D, what's new? ;-)

I tried to PM you but it's still buggered here... Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-7-18
Use props
user410e081528
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2283609 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you grab your flight log yet? Or any information on what happened?
2016-7-18
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

This terrifies me because I do a lot of flying over water since the wide open area around me is the lake in front of my house.    Before I took it over water I made darn sure that I had it set so that it RTH when signal is lost, that it rises to like 300 ft before RTH, etc.  I also never fly unless the battery charge is 100% full.   I frequently double check these things.    It scares me if I read about people's drones just falling out of the sky.
2016-7-18
Use props
MattG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127133 ft
United Kingdom

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-7-17 09:00
You need to check what your settings were in the app.
It could of been set to land if it lost signal ...

How can I check to see whether I have those settings?
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-7-18 22:30
This terrifies me because I do a lot of flying over water since the wide open area around me is the  ...

They don't just fall out of the sky. There was something that caused it and almost always it was preventable.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MattG Posted at 2016-7-18 22:42
How can I check to see whether I have those settings?

Before you even fly your aircraft you really need to go through all the settings and adjust them to your flight environment for that day.
Main Controller Settings let's you adjust the RTH altitude, and Advanced Settings lets you adjust what to do when signal is lost.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

have you contacted support, what is your email and I can view your flight.
2016-7-18
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-18 09:50
They don't just fall out of the sky. There was something that caused it and almost always it was p ...

I agree.   Most likely a setting, manual intervention (unintentional), interference, or a bird strike based on what I've read.

I'm getting the idea that 'fall out of the sky' is almost never malfunction and most commonly the device doing exactly what it's told to do.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-7-18 23:09
I agree.   Most likely a setting, manual intervention (unintentional), interference, or a bird str ...

That is correct.I sold my P3P and never had a single issue with it in over a year. The person called ne the next day and said it just fell out of the sky and they did nothing wrong.
I said there's no way, you must have done a CSC. They swore that they didn't and knew exactly what a CSC was.
I said ok no problem, whats the email and I can review the flight log. I told them no problem, I can get it repaired since you're saying it was a malfunction. I never got the email and a few days later they admitted they accidently did a CSC.
2016-7-18
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

Yeah the CSC is something I'm acutely aware of and try to avoid by not moving both sticks simultaneously.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-7-19 00:08
Yeah the CSC is something I'm acutely aware of and try to avoid by not moving both sticks simultaneo ...

Your totally fine moving bother sticks simultaneously. I don't think with normal flight you would ever get close to a CSC. That's why that stick position is a CSC, there's really no reason to even get close to that stick position.
2016-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

In 3D flight  maneuvers with a collective pitch heli, CSC stick position might be possible.

But thankfully it would not cause the heli motors to stop mid flight.

Because there are already 1001 ways to crash... Why add one more? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-18
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Can anyone esplain WHY (in terms of the real world) the benefit of CSC ?
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-7-19 01:36
Can anyone esplain WHY (in terms of the real world) the benefit of CSC ?

It's in case of emergency and if the aircraft went out of control and was heading towards a crowd. You kill the motors and make it drop where it is (no crowd below).
2016-7-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-19 04:04
It's in case of emergency and if the aircraft went out of control and was heading towards a crowd. ...

If you could CSC in that often-repeated hypothetical situation, you could climb or turn.
If you had no control, CSC is probably not going to work either.
CSC is mostly  for stopping the rotating blades on the ground following landing or a crash.
Any machinery with fast rotating blades needs to have an emergency stop.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-19 05:54
If you could CSC in that often-repeated hypothetical situation, you could climb or turn.
If you ha ...

CSC is built in for emergency power cut off to prevent harm of the aircraft heading towards a crowd. It can also be used to quickly stop the motors to prevent more damage to the aircraft or whatever you crashed into.
2016-7-18
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-19 05:58
CSC is built in for emergency power cut off to prevent harm of the aircraft heading towards a crow ...

I wonder when I read these posts whether these folks just watch the bird descnd or if they immediately push the left stick upward and use the right stick to bring the bird home?

I have had three situations where my P3P started to descend. The first was when I got to close to an airport and got a message it was descending. When I saw the altitude drop I pushed the left stick up and used right stick to move out of the area.

The second time I was out too far, coming home, battery draining and a message that the drone was reducing power. I never let go of the right stick so the momentum was always toward home even as it was dropping. After a few seconds I pushed the left stick up and it would gain altitude for a while until the message came back. I would let go of the left stick but still kept the right stick at full throttle. This was repeated two more times until I got my bird home with plenty of altitude though it was descending at that point, I still flew it toward me, still adjusted altitude and did a hand catch.

Lastly, there are times I drain the battery by flying around and then keeping it near me as the battery reaches the automatic descend point. I can still keep it up in the air until it drains to 5 or 7 per cent.

So I scratch my head every time I read one these stories and the person does not say he pushed up on the left stick and used the right stick to bring it home. Even if you cannot stop it from descending, you can trade altitude for forward flight and get it back as close as possible.
2016-7-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-7-19 09:20
I wonder when I read these posts whether these folks just watch the bird descnd or if they immedia ...

You are of course right, the problem is that many Phantom owners barely know how to fly the aircraft, much less what to do if it all goes tits up. If you want to keep your aircraft, you have to practice flying in situations like you describe.

It is the same with full size aircraft, a student pilot spends about one fifth of their time learning to fly the aircraft, and four-fifths learning to to stop it crashing into the ground if something goes wrong.
2016-7-18
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-19 07:48
You are of course right, the problem is that many Phantom owners barely know how to fly the aircra ...

I was a private pilot and the answer to every emergency is to climb if possible. It gives you a chance to assess problems before you start making bad decisions. A plane is more complicated because you must first get level before you climb. If the engine is out or you are in a glider you are trading off altitude for horizontal movement. With the drone, even when you are hopelessly descending, you still have a camera and horizontal control. If you can find an open space you can land safely and with a GPS tracker possibly find it.
2016-7-18
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-18 12:25
Your totally fine moving bother sticks simultaneously. I don't think with normal flight you would  ...

But it happens and people do it. As shown by the person who bought yours. I wonder how it is even possible. Or why it is even possible.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-7-18 19:20
I wonder when I read these posts whether these folks just watch the bird descnd or if they immedia ...

Just some suggestions, if the battery reaches 5% or so, it probably is better to land where it is so you have plenty of time to avoid things like trees or ponds while descending. Also you can try to remember its surrounding and location on map. Then you go to that location to pick it up.  That is, of course, you're not flying over an ocean or lake.

Yesterday I saw someone on the forum that is trying to flying his drone back from 1 km+ distance upwind, he kept pushing to the last juice of the battery, and pushed the left stick to keep the drone from automatic landing. Then finally when the drone reaches about 100 meters in front him, it fell down from the sky.
2016-7-18
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-19 10:41
Just some suggestions, if the battery reaches 5% or so, it probably is better to land where it is  ...

If it is at 10 per cent you have to land it. My only exception is when it is right in front of me.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-7-19 11:05
If it is at 10 per cent you have to land it. My only exception is when it is right in front of me. ...

I never take my batteries under 10% unless doing the calibration.
And when calibrating the battery you can fly all the way to 0%.
2016-7-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

My drone lands & shuts down before 8% , so how do you "fly" yours to 0%?
Doesn't seem wise, or even possible. Unless you have special batteries...

Or @DJI special powers?! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-7-19
Use props
tkulhanek
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-18 22:50
They don't just fall out of the sky. There was something that caused it and almost always it was p ...

What do you call it when they start doing flips and you can not get any control of it till you go pick it up off the ground? Having this happen to me now twice in the month and a half that I have had it is getting super annoying, I would say it looked like it fell out of the sky.  I calibrate mine every time before I fly and it still does it sometimes than I ask your support team for advice and they just tell me to calibrate it or take screenshots, which is defiantly the last thing I will be doing while my thousand dollar piece of equipment is falling to the ground, and make it seem like its always our fault.  It is never something to on DJI's side like software, right away you tell us we are doing something wrong when we do what you tell us.  Also, why cant you guys make completing updates a little more user friendly?  Don't mean to rant but it just seems like DJI has a lot of problems with their product out there.
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-19 23:28
My drone lands & shuts down before 8% , so how do you "fly" yours to 0%?
Doesn't seem wise, or even ...

I would never fly my own batteries under 10%.
When I do certain battery tests for DJI (their batteries) I fly them to zero.
2016-7-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules