Replaced motors on Phantom 2 - stuttering on start - ideas?
3596 11 2016-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

Hello, I have a Phantom 2 Vision. One of the motors started stuttering so I ordered 4 new 2312 motors. I checked that I have the v2.1 ESC boards. I assumed it would be a simple replacement. I replaced each one individually, checking that wires were correct and CW and CCW were in the correct location.

In testing after the replacement, 2 of the motors "stutter" and the other 2 don't move. Any ideas?

DJI with ESC 2.1 Board

DJI with ESC 2.1 Board
2016-7-20
Use props
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

Here's the video of the stutter Video of stutter
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello scotthan69, I'd suggest you to swap the diagonal motors to try again.
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, did you watch this video?

2016-7-20
Use props
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-7-20 22:35
Hello scotthan69, I'd suggest you to swap the diagonal motors to try again.

No change. I swapped diagonally. I replaced them one at a time, so I know the clockwise and counterclockwise motors are in the correct location. I even verified with the propeller blades before I swapped them.

All 4 motors are new from unopened packages from DJI. All the old motors were working properly before replacement, except the single one that was slightly stuttering. All 4 ESC controllers have the white label with v2.1 on them. The packaging of the 2312 motors said that was compatible.

What else could be the issue? Does the top lid need to be attached? I'm testing with all the ribbon cables connected, but not screwing down the top lid.
2016-7-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

scotthan69@hotm Posted at 2016-7-20 21:53
No change. I swapped diagonally. I replaced them one at a time, so I know the clockwise and counte ...

Have you tried your known working motors back in to see if the spin up properly?
2016-7-21
Use props
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-7-21 08:31
Have you tried your known working motors back in to see if the spin up properly?

Doing that as we speak. If so, it's probably the ESC controllers that don't match the upgraded motors. Upsetting as I researched and everything said v2.1 boards would work with these 2312's .... even the "manual" that came with the motors points this out in pictures.
2016-7-21
Use props
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-7-21 08:31

Yup, must need different ESC boards - https://vid.me/4MxB

Let's add this up .... $90 in motors, new ESC boards probably $30 each ... another $120 .. up to $210 ... new Phantom 3 Standard's are $499 now - this has really not been worth the time/trouble.

I'm going to find an old 2212 motor to replace my single bad one, close it back up, sell it and get a new one. I had just hoped for $90 I'd be back up in the air by now. Ohh well.
2016-7-21
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

If the stutter its seems that your problem is the same as old motor? I didn't read the you replaced the the ESC boards. I think that is the issue
2016-7-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

scotthan69@hotm Posted at 2016-7-21 07:29
Yup, must need different ESC boards - https://vid.me/4MxB

Let's add this up .... $90 in motors,  ...

Scott,
that sucks but is weird also,
I presume the old stuttering motor is still stuttering while the other old "known working" motors performed as previous when reinstalled?
Did you try the stuttering motor on the other "color matched" diagonal arm to see if it was the motor or esc in that case...
For what its worth, Those new motors should be compatible with v2.1 esc's, based on this chart, yes, i know it only goes to 2.0 but there were a ton of threads on this.see if there is anything printed on the esc's beside the sticker that might also indicate a version number.
Is it possible you got a batch of bad motors?...strtanger things have been known to happen....
2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
2016-7-23
Use props
scotthan69
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-7-23 09:24
Scott,
that sucks but is weird also,
I presume the old stuttering motor is still stuttering while  ...

Yes, when I put all 4 of my motors back in - 3 worked and 1 was stuttering like it had before. I then switched locations of the stuttering motor with it's counterpart. The stutter stayed with the motor NOT the ESC board.  

The motors were factory sealed in DJI packaging, so I highly doubt I received 4 bad motors.

What I truly believe happened is that the ESC boards in my craft are NOT 2.1 boards, but simply older boards with 2.1 stickers. After closer inspection I noticed that all for ESC board stickers had ANOTHER sticker underneath them. Read this forum thread for details

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but given the range extender bricking incident, I wouldn't put it past someone trying to cut costs to use all the old inventory of parts with newer stickers. Maybe someone thought, "if we update the firmware, I just need to put these stickers on the old boards" ... not realizing there's a difference in the hardware of the boards, not just firmware. Or even if it was on purpose, they just assumed people would replace P2 motors with 2212's, never 2312's, so risk was low. I'll never know.

All I do know is that this has been a hell of a frustrating experience when you do the research and expect things to just work.  

On a related note - there's 4 slightly used 2312s on eBay :-)
2016-7-23
Use props
roy
Second Officer

Most of the time the issue is with the ESC boards and not the motors. The motors are brushless and very durable. On the other hand the ESC ( motor controllers) are not and can be damages relatively easy. Get a prop stuck in grass or a tree or brush while running and it can damage the ESC by overloading it. I woul look there first.
2016-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules