Timelapse again....
1657 20 2016-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I know this has been talked about here but this does appear to be a big problem. Did no one from DJI test this feature before release, sometime during development maybe?

I've tried every method from using built in timelapse features to manual photos to speeded up video and nothing works. Speeded up video seemed to work best but far from good.

I'm guessing it was never meant to do timelapse, it's meant to be in motion or stuck to something in motion. But some marketing guy just before laucnh jumped in and said lets make some timelapse features in the app. Devs probably said 'no way, it won't work' , but marketing will always overall developers. lol

2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Yes, Osmo's strength is motion video shooting, time-lapse is more like an added-feature. For time-lapse video, it's recommended to lock the gimbal physically.  It's possible to use Osmo to shoot good time-lapse, check out this one http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid455345
2016-7-22
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'll stick it to my windscreen and go for a drive instead, probably more fun, but a little scary
2016-7-22
Use props
awollenh
New

Germany

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-22 12:20
Yes, Osmo's strength is motion video shooting, time-lapse is more like an added-feature. For time-la ...

Are you serious? You said this is the fault of the user??? Come on... this is a common problem with some gimbals. And other DJI Worker see this as a problem (we'll look into it).

What's next? Pictures with errors in it? And the answer is:"Oh it's a cam for movement and video...it's just a nice to have feature on the osmo."?
2016-7-22
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I was right, it is scary to have it stuck on the outside of your car.

2016-7-22
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Here is another test using the built in photo function, shame it's only 780. (cheated a little in Adobe as well)

2016-7-25
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hmm the ideal thing would be to program the movement in but thats a few firmware upgrades away. So maybe try a hyperlapse where you walk with the osmo so the timelapse moves.. Try it it's pretty cool
2016-7-25
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dopeytree Posted at 2016-7-25 17:46
Hmm the ideal thing would be to program the movement in but thats a few firmware upgrades away. So m ...

Exactly what I thought, a programmed movement would help stabilise the unwanted movement.

As for hyper lapse do you have to walk very very slowly? Otherwise it's just a speeded up video? Ideally looks like you are walking down the street at normal speed but everything around you moving fast.

I've been experimenting with setting the joystick to the slowest movement and just tapping it between time lapse shots to get a hyper lapse pan, it's a bit hit and miss and a lot of work.
2016-7-25
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hyperlapse is just a moving time-lapse. So traditionally a timelapse is a static shot whereas for these you'd move the tripod but With the OSMO I imagine you just walk about slowly (no need for a tripod). It's a good way to help frame a building in a scene say in a city as it allows you to remove some of the hustle & bustle of people & cars in shots as opposed to speeding up a video. So in your garden you might pan slowly to the right or walk up to the greenhouse etc.

2016-7-26
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Some nice hyper lapses in that video, for me it's to do with that contrast of movement, the smooth, slow pan combined with the fast moving sky etc. Too many examples just look like speeded up video clips.

I'm not sure I can walk slow enough to make it work. I've got a small camera dolly and have tried with that, pushing it a tiny amount each frame, seemed to work but was a lot of work.

Maybe someone can do the Maths for me
The final footage should be moving forward at 2.5mph , shot taken every 2 seconds, playback at 25fps, what speed do I need to walk at?
2016-7-26
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah I guess it'd be easier with a tripod?
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

dopeytree Posted at 2016-7-27 16:29
Yeah I guess it'd be easier with a tripod?

Yes, it's easier with a tripod and with your gimbal locked.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

awollenh Posted at 2016-7-22 09:17
Are you serious? You said this is the fault of the user??? Come on... this is a common problem wit ...

I'm not saying it's the fault of the user, I'm saying OSMO has strength and weakness, and we'll work on the weakness and improve it.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-7-26 10:56
Some nice hyper lapses in that video, for me it's to do with that contrast of movement, the smooth,  ...

Divide 2.5mph by 50, you get about 2.22 centimeters per second..
2016-7-27
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks, walking is not working for me. You think you get strange looks doing a ninja try walking down the road very slowly getting in everyones way

Having a bit more luck with a small cheap dolly, pull it along slowly with a bit of string. Really need something like www.rollocam.com , it's a tempting purchase.

I've also downloaded the SDK and may have a go at doing a timelapse app with pans. Does anyone know the smallest increment you can move the gimbal via the SDK? Looks like 1 degree?
2016-7-28
Use props
murat-mutlu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311385 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-28 07:11
Yes, it's easier with a tripod and with your gimbal locked.

it could be nice to disable beeping warning sound when gimbal locked in timelapse mode...
2016-7-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

murat-mutlu Posted at 2016-7-29 15:17
it could be nice to disable beeping warning sound when gimbal locked in timelapse mode...

I've never tried physically locking it, just orientation lock. It can't be doing it much good when it's locked, straining motors?
2016-7-29
Use props
murat-mutlu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311385 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-7-29 21:51
I've never tried physically locking it, just orientation lock. It can't be doing it much good when ...

i believe when it senses its locked, motors not powering on.. maybe it used to but after updates i didnt feel any vibration that motors would be powered. Need to check it again
2016-7-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If the motors cut out then yes that would be good (except the beeping). Poor old Osmo, just wants to be moving and we're busy trying to lock it down lol
2016-7-30
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Here was another quick test using the time lapse feature and orientation lock, very good this time, but shame it's 720p

Also playing with Adobe masks, got bored so didn't quite get it right
2016-7-30
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It was really behaving itself last night, Orientation Lock seems to help a lot, but not always. I found if you notice a wobble as it's taking the pics, stop it, shake it a little and start again..

2016-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules