ESC Board and Motor replacement
3961 13 2016-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

I crashed the P3 advanced. Motors would not start. So I assumed it was main board.  Replaced main board and still the same ESC error on the app. I just purchased a few spare motors. Clockwise and counter clockwise.  

Anyway to test the existing motor to confirm which one is bad?  I have a good idea it's the the one thats housing is all scuffed up, but rather know for for sure before I start de-soldering.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

2016-7-21
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

im curious the answer on this too .. i have 2 new motors coming, i'm pretty sure i know which ones need to be replaced, but this would help. Maybe one of the logs has a code showing the motor?
2016-7-21
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Should've a way to put a ohm meter on the to confirm resistance of the coils.
2016-7-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vincent D Posted at 2016-7-21 06:56
Should've a way to put a ohm meter on the to confirm resistance of the coils.

Aloha Vincent,

Since you already know that the motor may need to be replaced, why not avoid the solder difficulty and splice in the new motors.  Here is what rayrokni said, "I agree with you that splicing is safer and just as good as soldering on to the mb. I will do that using a dab of solder on the splice, liquid tape and heat shrink tubes."

This may be a lot easier and less risky.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

digdat0 Posted at 2016-7-21 06:33
im curious the answer on this too .. i have 2 new motors coming, i'm pretty sure i know which ones n ...

Aloha digdat,

You may be interested in what I wrote to Vincent about splicing in the new motors instead of soldering the MB.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash Vincent and unfortunately it is very difficult to test it. Maybe you may replace the motor one by one to test. But if you need repairing service, feel free to contact our US tech support as below: 北美地址.JPG
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ESC error is mainly about rotors and speed controller, did you change that also?
2016-7-22
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-22 16:14
ESC error is mainly about rotors and speed controller, did you change that also?

Isn't the speed controller part of the ESC, which is part of the main board ? So, if the replaced the main board it would have also replaced the speed controller. At least, for the phantom 3??
2016-7-22
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Thank you all for the input. I'm pretty handy with an iron; amateur radio operator for 30 years. Was really just wondering if their was a way to test a motor via resistance in lieu of replacing.  A few of the responses did confuse me a bit.  The ESC is on the board, the board was replaced, still the ESC error. So at this point I am correct it has to be a failed motor?  Nothing software wise correct. I did reset and update firmware even did a full calibration. If I'm missing something any additional help would be truly appreciated.
2016-7-22
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Oh FYI I will splice the leads not re-solder to main board. I'll strip, solder and heat shrink. But first I'll just cut strip and twist until I find the failed motor.
2016-7-22
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4

Vincent D Posted at 2016-7-23 01:12
Thank you all for the input. I'm pretty handy with an iron; amateur radio operator for 30 years. Was ...

I had a seized motor, esc error showed up. I replaced the motor by splicing, esc error remained. I them soldered to the main board and the esc error went away. Yours sounds like a motor. Not sure how best to test though. Remember to recalibrate  the imu.

2016-7-22
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

digdat0 Posted at 2016-7-23 01:09
I had a seized motor, esc error showed up. I replaced the motor by slicing, esc error remained. I  ...

thanks for the input. The new motors are in so ill replace and let you know how I made out.
2016-7-23
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

FYI- it turned out to be a bad motor and not the main board. Sure wished I purchased a few motors in lieu of the 230 dollar main board. So I replaced the suspect motor, which was the one that had a huge hack mark on the side where it was spinning against something before it burned up. My opinion now after looking over the components on the main board is this:

If you have a ESC error open the drone and look carefully at all the components on the main board, if nothing is visibly damaged or is burnt its most likely a 20 dollar motor not the main board.

I now have 3 drones a advanced that's working, a pro and a phantom 4. Anyone want to buy a drone Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
2016-7-29
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4

thats awesome man. that was pretty much my situation .. stuck motor was causing the ESC error. I'm glad I replaced the motor and not the board, but was willing to go that far if needed. sell me an RC real cheap
2016-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules