Camera pan/tilt lock function request
1307 10 2016-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan.zapata
lvl.1

United States

I would really appreciate the ability to lock the camera for fast pans, or movement and then unlock on the fly. It could simply be a function on the trigger button which really should be programmable. I don't think selfie mode has any use since it can't be in focus and it would be far more useful to allow the user to place their most used funcitons, in their own order, on the switch.
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Alan, but if you lock the camera during fast pan, wouldn't the image be blurry and shaky?
2016-7-22
Use props
azzgrip
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290371 ft
Australia

I bought the Cosmo to do travelling shots of actors in a car.
I have the car mount attached to a window and frame up the shot in dji go app.
when the car is moving in a straight line the shots are great, but as soon as Iturm a corner the Cosmo pans of slightly and does not re compose the same shot.
is there a setting or function I am not properly using to get me the shots I require
thanks
Aron

2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

azzgrip Posted at 2016-7-31 08:47
I have the car mount attached to a win ...

We're sorry about that, but currently Osmo is not that intelligent. Since you point Osmo at a certain direction, when the car turns (changes direction), Osmo still points at the previous direction, so it pans.

You may need to use your phone to pan it back.
2016-7-31
Use props
azzgrip
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-1 17:45
We're sorry about that, but currently Osmo is not that intelligent. Since you point Osmo at a cert ...

Thanks dji  h.c
the Osmo works to the point of nearly getting the shot it just needs some finer settings in the control
If you hold the osmo in your hand sitting on a swivel chair your arms outstretched in front of you with the camera pointing at you as you turn, the camera momentarily pans the direction you turn then reframes, turn the other way and the camera does the same
all that is needed is finer settings in the deadband area or what ever setting needed, so the movement can be reduced to not being noticeable while still stabilising the shot.
can this be done in firmware ??
Aron
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

azzgrip Posted at 2016-8-1 05:17
Thanks dji  h.c
the Osmo works to the point of nearly getting the shot it just needs some finer se ...

Hi, the Osmo is intended to work this way.

The camera will pan to the opposite direction of the handle a little bit, to make the video smooth. You can increase the speed of the paning from 70 to 100, to allow the camera follow the handle more closely.

2016-8-1
Use props
azzgrip
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-1 19:36
Hi, the Osmo is intended to work this way.

The camera will pan to the opposite direction of the h ...

Thanks for the reply H.C
I have tried this and still not satisfactory for television drama
It seems that the deadband zone is still quite a big zone where as zero should represent zero deadband ie: no panning and then adjust upward from that for smoothing out the shot with out losing this important feature to be able to have the Osmo rigged in a vehicle and achieve a locked of shot
maybe this could be suggested to DJI for a firmware update
Thanks
Aron
2016-8-1
Use props
alan.zapata
lvl.1

United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-22 06:02
Hi Alan, but if you lock the camera during fast pan, wouldn't the image be blurry and shaky?

Sure it can be blurry or shaky depending on how you move. But it can sometimes be necessary to have a smooth tracking shot followed by a very fast pan/tilt to a new orientation then followed by more smooth tracking. I'm used to that ability with my steadicam and I use it a great deal. With a steadicam you simply hold the gimbal post and it physically locks the pan/tilt. Of course it is all electronic in the Osmo so the ability to program the trigger to lock the gimbal in it's current position would be the same. It would need to be a momentary function that only locks while pressing the trigger and when released it would continue smooth tracking.
2016-8-1
Use props
azzgrip
lvl.1
Australia

alan.zapata Posted at 2016-8-2 14:42
Sure it can be blurry or shaky depending on how you move. But it can sometimes be necessary to hav ...

Hi Alan
I know what your saying as I to could benefit from a similar function though for me to switch off smooth track would be best or at least make the deadband function so that at zero it is effectively a straight pan no smoothing then adjust from there
I want to use this device in a car with the dji mount but it is not useable at this stage as it won't hold the shot while turning the corner
hoping DJI can fix this in a next firmware update
Aron
2016-8-3
Use props
kmhphoto
New

United Kingdom

azzgrip Posted at 2016-7-31 13:47
I have the car mount attached to a win ...

I had the same problem recently and had much better success by clamping the trigger so that the Osmo remained fixed on the subject, it worked very well on interior and exterior shots.
2016-8-4
Use props
Azzgrip
lvl.1
Australia

holding the trigger only puts it in orientation lock so if you turn a corner the osmo pans of the driver
this is no good
i have the x3 and it now has scene mode so in sport mode it nearly does what i need but I don't see this scene mode in the x5 update any ideas
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules