Reports of Resonant Shake in Arms (Aggregate Post) – DJI Fix?
6258 38 2015-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colin.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75686 ft
  • >>>
United States

This thread is started to collect reports on the resonant shake/ major vibration of the arms when in the transformed position in hopes DJI will acknowledge there is a problem and come up with a field fix – other than “send in your machine” (and we are without it for weeks).

Here is what I have seen so far:

Video report

Video report

Post from Inspired Pilots:

I have experienced this and will post video as well.   If you have experienced this please post your reports and video of this problem (not gimbal shake) and links to other threads

Colin

2015-1-25
Use props
colin.email
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is another
http://youtu.be/d_oWuPj8Zrw
2015-1-25
Use props
colin.email
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Major thread here on this issue here:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/major-vibration.392/
2015-1-25
Use props
colin.email
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's another video

More discussion on Inspired Pilots (link above).

Let us know what is happening DJI
2015-1-31
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

According some people in Live800 , I need crash , record and share the video.
Hello Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your e-mail.
The R&D team at DJI has done extensive testing before the launch of the Inspire 1. The narrow space of the “T” part is precisely designed by using advanced industrial design technics. Because of this the Inspire 1 flies more stably and smoothly. We have heard of some instances where users are experiencing what has been termed “loose arms”. Some of them have tightened the screws in the “T” part themselves.
DJI does not recommend that users make this adjustment on their own. If you are experiencing an abnormal oscillation, we further recommended you send us an vide to better show this issue.

Thanks
Thanks for your support to DJI
DJI 24H*7 Tech Support Center
2015-1-31
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

This to me looking at the video footage this is not a Vibration as it does not seem to change in frequency and seems more of a resonant oscillation which is nothing like a vibration. This is usually the result of an imbalance. As a helicopter engineer we are constantly looking and the frequencies of oscillations in the airframe and there causes. Unfortunately I am yet to recieve my inspire I will be collecting it tomorrow at which point I will be able to see for myself what possible causes there could be for this resonating oscillation.
I don't believe it is a vibration due to loose part.
2015-1-31
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Hi, I am the owner of the inspire 1 of which someone posted the link of the vimeo video in slow motion posted on inspire pilots forum. I have contacted DJI europe by email queuing about this , and now waiting to hear from them. the strage thing is that it is not always there, and if it is, only when landing gear raised, and it seems when hoovering quite low !
Anyway will keep you all posted about the feed back I get. other than this occasional "resonant oscillation) I have no other issues and sofar happy with my inspire.
2015-2-1
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Hi , reported my case to DJI europe support, got some feed back which I judge inappropriate and incorrect. asked them to verify once more with China and waiting. Anyone got some reasonable explanation from DJI for this and a fix ??
2015-2-2
Use props
accounts.visual
New
United States

alessandrobecca Posted at 2015-2-3 00:53
Hi , reported my case to DJI europe support, got some feed back which I judge inappropriate and inco ...

All I got was a whole bunch of inconsistency

After three weeks of using the Inspire, i started experiencing the same issues. Opened a support ticket with DJI and this was their response to the issue.

"Please kindly contact your dealer Coptershop.com; DJI has already provide a solution for this issue, and our dealers are capable to help you out."

I was thrilled to hear that as my dealer had been giving me excellent service. I called about the issue and they told me they weren't authorized to deal with the inspire 1 yet and though they've heard of this common issue, they didn't know what was causing it or how to address it. They advised me to call the DJI offices in LA.

I called DJI LA and they're brilliant answer was that their techs had looked into the issue and said this was "Normal". NORMAL?! I'm at the point where its getting really frustrating to deal with DJI and they are obviously not even sure of whats going on. The regular support ticket guys told me they found a way the "resolve" the "issue" but DJI LA says its not really an issue and its pretty "standard" and normal". This is really infuriating after dropping so much money on a "professional" product.
2015-2-3
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

thanks. will keep you posted of what I will find out. They also tried to tell me it was normal!!!
2015-2-3
Use props
accounts.visual
New
United States

alessandrobecca Posted at 2015-2-4 03:29
thanks. will keep you posted of what I will find out. They also tried to tell me it was normal!!!

I just got replied from DJI's main headquarters overseas, I had written an angry email regarding all these inconstancies and terrible support. This was their answer

"I am really sorry for all the inconvenience. There must be some misunderstanding here.
Right now, we are trying to contact our US support center, and figure it out.

Since there is a 12 hours time difference, it's not that convenience to get a quick response.
I would re-direct your case to our US support team, and clarify everything to them again.

We would get back to you shortly when everything is clear.

Sorry again for the trouble, and thanks for your understanding."

I'm hoping they clear that up quickly because its pissing off a lot of customers, including myself!
2015-2-3
Use props
Belgareth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 440184 ft
United Kingdom

Any updates from DJI?
2015-2-7
Use props
eliran.globo
New

Brazil

Heloooooo, DJI??? Any updates????????
2015-2-10
Use props
privateoffice.g
lvl.1

United States

@accounts.visual.   any news?

Same problem here for me and same reaction from DJI support (did send them a ground video of my arm movement ):

- first mail "... it looks normal to us...., as long that it does not occur in flight...."

- after having had my hands on 2 other Inspire with completely different and kind of acceptable pöay in the T- joint/arms, I answered DJI that I don't think that this kind of excessive play is normal, especialy after I did see other Inspires with a regular play and that I don't think that it should be sth. like luck what kind of Inspire one gets!

Now DJI asked me to produce a video, where they can see during a flight the movement of my arms, what is absolutely not so easy to produce. Tried it yesterday with a GoPro on my helmet, but then everything else is shaking too much to see the T- joint and the arms precise enough.

So I got to do it today again with a different cam with zoom on a tripod and another person filming.

BUT I find that is not realy customer friendly, how DJI deals here with me. That they forces me to testify my obvious problems with such a great effort!?
Got the feeling, that they try to exhaust me, maybe I give up.... - same feeling what you get, when you have a case with an insurance company.

dissapointed . Jan

2015-2-12
Use props
smcbrearty.roge
lvl.3

Jesus Christ, every time i am just about to pull the trigger and purchase an Inspire something else comes up.  DJI please get your act together and fix this issue!  How the hell can you tech support give and answer like "contact your local dealer, they have the fix" to "looks normal" from you head office.  GET OFF YOUR ASSES and start communicating with each other.  Take this forum for an example, we are able to work together and get info to each other pretty easily!!!!!  Such a waist of technology!!!
2015-2-12
Use props
Belgareth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 440184 ft
United Kingdom

privateoffice.g Posted at 2015-2-12 23:18
@accounts.visual.   any news?

Same problem here for me and same reaction from DJI support (did send ...

Well that's very disappointing. This issue is actually the reason I did not purchased Inspire 1. (yet?) For this price everything should be perfect from hardware side. All recent software problems are easy to fix, but this..
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I hate seeing this as well too date I haven't had a single issue with my new inspire the thing barely shakes the cam when transforming.
Its rock solid!
Maybe they had a bad batch go out, sort of obvious via some of the issues we are all seeing.

2015-2-12
Use props
QPOeye
New

Norway

hahahaha, this is so funny.......I just unzipped the suitcase from my freshly delivered Inspire. I have serious doubts if i should give this thing a go. All i have been reading and viewing so far is negatives instead of positives.

Are there any other people out there that are more then nervous about this so called PRO" Drone with issues?
2015-2-13
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

craigarthurson. Posted at 2015-2-1 13:51
This to me looking at the video footage this is not a Vibration as it does not seem to change in fre ...

Do you have any update on this. I have the same problem and wanted to know if it was normal.
2015-3-13
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I have been flying my Inspire for about a month now....You love it and you hate it ...Right now I am 50/50 on the Inspire 1...I believe they are really trying to solve the issues and are not really good at communication with their customers. I have ordered props from Foxtech and will see how it goes because I haven't really heard of  any answers from DJI...I really liked flying it but I am starting to think they released it 3 to 6 months to soon. We are the Betas and I walked into this with eyes wide open.   As such I am willing to work through this and hope that the issues will be resolved. However, I intend to be even more cautious in flying this machine.   It really is a pleasure to fly but it is always in the back of your mind now if it will go sideways on me....So flip a coin and either do the updates and fly it or send it back...
2015-3-13
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

well after 2 months, despite several chasing emails to DJI europe support, and various proofs of the issue sent to them, I am afraid, I have still not received a solution or a clear answer ...
Not very professional, I am afraid.
A pity as the inspire itself is a wonderful machine..!
2015-3-15
Use props
jeffu
lvl.1

United States

I just received my Inspire a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to fly this week, the weather in Chicago was just too nasty

Anyhow, I haven't taken a video of mine flying, but I do know there is some "play" in the arms when I pick it up - not sure what's "normal" and what isn't.  I see this has been going on for some time now with not much of an answer from DJI, so I'm just asking - other than it being an annoying shake, is this really a problem?  It seems that it's not really impacting video taken from the camera and it's not really viewable unless you slow down a video of the drone flying.  

I'm just wondering if it seems to get worse over time?  Are we concerned that it may come apart?  It really would be nice to have some more concrete answers.
2015-3-15
Use props
colin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

This is driving me crazy. I cant get good video until this problem is fixed. Where is the in-field fix video instructions and parts from DJI so we don't have to send it in?
2015-3-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

colin@koptervis Posted at 2015-3-29 01:15
This is driving me crazy. I cant get good video until this problem is fixed. Where is the in-field f ...

Where does it stand Guy? Nothing resolved yet? Definite issue there! Imagine what is happening to the Air Frame? Your not fixing that with a Firmware update. Definite hardware issue. Very concerning at the least.
2015-3-28
Use props
xr98
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696427 ft
Australia

Mine has just started doing it after about 10 flights. Would be pissed if I have to send it back as I live in remote Australia and would cos a packet...
2015-3-31
Use props
iamdorian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Our Inspire 1 demonstrated shake as well on today's flights. I forced it roland a few times to see what was causing it. Of course, immediately checked the engine-to-T-Frame connections. There is a slight give there, as I suspect there is in all of the, (these T connections need to rotate). So, I kinda of just scratched my head, started again and saw it come and go. Flew it around a bit, brought it back and looked and it seemed to have stopped.

Of course the real issue is what would happen if this rapid vibration/noise works key fittings loose over time, as it most likely would. This is my concern. Might not notice it until the entire craft shook itself apart high up and far away from my sight.

The comments about the craft warming up, before vibrations stopped, makes sense if this expands the fittings. We did notice this in a little wind, so one might assume that this problem is exacerbated by additional vibrational energy in the from of wind sheer and flow over surfaces. does't make this any less scary knowing this!  :  )

Will be watching the threads.
2015-4-11
Use props
thetravguy
lvl.1

United States

just because the inspire has a price tag of over 3000 doesn't mean it's going to run perfectly and it's maintenance free. it sounds like a lot of you have no experience with helicopters.
the best super glue lock tight on the planet would not hold any of the screws tight for more then a few flights on any rotary aircraft. too tight noticeable vibration, to lose same deal, performance changed, check every dam screw on the inspire and if it's not tight there is your problem, yeah dji says dont touch them but just after 1 flight i found 3 on the front left motor arm mounts on mine i could take out with my bare hand. no don't crank them down and strip the threads, just snug. just found 2 more loose today in the battery box in the back. i have zero vibration problems even before i tightened them

blades are everything. they hold your toy in the air... they are the most imporant part on any aicraft, treat them as such!!!!!!  just looking at them funny could make them warp or change their weight on a traditional r/c helicopter. wood ones were the best i found just setting them down on the table wrong could change their balance. fiber glass or carbon were always horrible, just the air temp made a helicopter handle funny and the smallest micro surface scratch in the resin was the end of it's usefulness.

you know how hard it is to deal with just 2? getting them balanced and pitched evenly? the inspire has 8!!! 8 wings that all have to be dam near perfect just to make handling manageable. surgically precise and it's kinda reliable. the electronic flying aids can only do so much before it's a lost cause.
im not sure if they are fiber glass or carbon fiber or what but if there is even the slightest nick in any 1 blade there is your problem. just taking the blades off and putting them in the box where they can bang against each other carelessly in the case is enough to screw em permanently. might as well let the dog chew on them for 5 minuets right before you use them for a flight... it's basically the same thing just throwing them in the case.  that adam savage video where he just throws the blades in the box or down on the table... when you get stuff for free.... idiot, shows how little he really knows.

personally, i leave the blades on, put them on once when i got it and they have stayed on and i make dam sure nothing touches them EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dust can build up on the bottom if you fly over anything but grass. this thing throws off a ton of down draft and kicks up so much dust. i did it just once and i could wipe a impressive layer of dust off the bottom of each blade... extra weight and drag the flying computer has to contend with, not to mention your just asking for a pebble to get kicked up and nick the bottom of blades at speed.

im not sure if you can get away with just changing 1 rotor set or if you damage just 1 blade  you have to change the other 7 to get it back to being correct, it wouldn't surprise me but since they are fixed pitch maybe just changing 1 bad one will do the job...however... anything but wood blades are super super touchy and if one doesn't fix it then they are all probably bad, even if you can't visually see damage or scratches they could be bad strait from the factory... it happens more than you think. what... dji giving you an extra set was only for when you crash into something? WRONG. there is your first clue rotoary aircarft go through blade sets A LOT. hold the inspire down and spool up the motors. check if the blades are tracking equally. all 8 of them!  if one is higher then it's counterpart you have different pitches in 2 different blades... there is your problem. they could have different levels of rigidness or flex when they were cast from the factory, nothing you can do but toss them and get new ones.
no joke here. get a magnifying glass and check everything, the head, the leading edge most importantly. flex them very slightly(like less then 1/16th of a inch up or down kinda slightly), you may see a frature open up. the leading edge takes the most beating is usually the reason the blade has to be thrown out. pits from debre hitting them(a common occurance that probably happens on every flight on take-off and landing to some degree) is all it takes.... remember you got 8 of these things that all need to work together spinning at different RPM's constaantly.. it only takes 1 blade to mess it up. the only reason the inspire keeps flying with horrible vibration is because the gps gyro flying aids are really good.

a lot of what im seeing is vibration getting worse so this would lead me to believe the blades people are using are bad and they are continuing to use them till they blow apart mid air. or they have let enough screws loosen too much or have over tightened to many... helicopters do one thing well and that's shake them selves apart. good owners manage that vibration by tightening enough to let some go through but not so much it strips out threads. it's never ending, it never stops and it's a constant game of keeping up with it when you own a copter. just because it says DJI and you paid what you think is a lot of money doesn't make you imune to basic helicopter up keep and fundamental problems all rotary wing aircraft have.

2015-4-11
Use props
t_mcmurran.yaho
lvl.1

Canada

All you need is to spend another grand or so on signal boosters and fat shark.  That is what should have been standard with the inspire right out of t he box.  Thought t here were RTF, not a DIY kit?
2015-4-12
Use props
Chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Inspire arms shake only when taking off. Once I cycle the gear into the upwards position the shake stops and doesn't return even when the landing gear is down again. It's just the first flight of the day. I hope this doesn't get worse as time passes.
2015-4-12
Use props
charlieboto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 646 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here since day one. I get it up and hover for a bit and a shakes for about 15-20 seconds every time. I go front back side to side like I always do and up down then it stops. Then I raise the gear. I hope they fix this.
2015-4-12
Use props
jamescole
lvl.2

Mexico

So I have a V2.0 and is starts doing in only the first 15-20 seconds... did anyone figure this out?
2016-1-2
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I thought that when the arms were vibrating and resonating as reported in the early Inspire  Jan/ Feb 2015 this was resolved by tightening the nuts at the arm clamp.  To enable this, DJI also moved their warranty label from the Nut itself which previously prevented tightening of this.

I hadn't heard via this or other forum that this was still an ongoing issue, but perhaps the new versions just need the Nuts to be tighter.  Worth checking out at least.
2016-1-3
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I thought that when the arms were vibrating and resonating as reported in the early Inspire  Jan/ Feb 2015 this was resolved by tightening the nuts at the arm clamp.  To enable this, DJI also moved their warranty label from the Nut itself which previously prevented tightening of this.

I hadn't heard via this or other forum that this was still an ongoing issue, but perhaps the new versions just need the Nuts to be tighter.  Worth checking out at least.
2016-1-3
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

jamescole Posted at 2016-1-2 23:09
So I have a V2.0 and is starts doing in only the first 15-20 seconds... did anyone figure this out?

Very easy 10 minute fix but you must remove the 8 securing bolts on each arm holding the booms and then shim the neoprene dampening membrane to afford a tighter fit. In order to do this fix you must also ensure the arms are not binding during the travel phase of the landing gear.To do this you must also remove the landing gear support arms that attach to the main arm and check you have free rotation of the joint so as not to put any undue stress on the landing gear servo.   DO NOT WHATEVER YOU DO tighten or alter the main nuts at the end of the T-Piece on each arm. This will cause you more problems than you want to know about!

If you feel AT ALL uncomfortable about doing this I suggest you send your I1 into DJI where they have pre-cut shims which they can fit very easily.
I have done a fair few of these now and it is a permanent and easy fix.
2016-1-3
Use props
jamescole
lvl.2

Mexico

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2016-1-3 12:27
Very easy 10 minute fix but you must remove the 8 securing bolts on each arm holding the booms and ...

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I already did it...

It was strange... one side took one piece of tape (gorilla tape) and the other one two...

I tested to see how freely it rotated and it is binding a bit but not so hard to move... is this normal or should it need the same force to move when the arms were loose?

I tested everything no slack at all 0% and the craft appears to move the arms up and down freely when operated by servo.

Thanks!
JC
2016-1-3
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I have yet to experience this. Interesting though and truly needs a fix.
2016-1-3
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jamescole Posted at 2016-1-3 20:27
Thanks for the reply Mark!

I already did it...

If it is only very slightly binding this will probably free up a little with time. Keep all the pivot points on the landing gear well lubricated to avoid as much stress as possible on the servo - you should be fine.
2016-1-3
Use props
jamescole
lvl.2

Mexico

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2016-1-3 15:36
If it is only very slightly binding this will probably free up a little with time. Keep all the pi ...

Marc do you have pics of the pivot point to identify them?
2016-1-3
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jamescole Posted at 2016-1-3 21:45
Marc do you have pics of the pivot point to identify them?

Im afraid not but it is basically all the pivot points you can spot that move whilst the Inspire transforms.

So, one on the end of the thinner arm where it joins the main arm, then the moving points within the main body that 'hinge' as the landing gear move. Its also a good idea to use a dab of grease on the worm drive as well. Keeps everything buttery!
2016-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules