P4 Video is bad again!
1621 19 2016-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am using the same iphone 6 plus and it was working great with app 2.8.1

I usually do not watch the video since I am in sun glare, I usually watch the map.  So today I decided to sit under the shade of a tree, and I am not getting the video to work any more!  I will try to post a video later, but all I see is a green screen now and once in a while a very time latent video.

What's going on?

I think this is related to the channel being used, but I am in Auto mode.

The same video issue is evident in both DJI-Go and Litchi.

BTW:
I started mainly to test the altitude (as many have posted here) and I also noticed that the altitude was off after the recent firmware upgrade. I was at 10 feet, and I was reading 3. But the P4 was stable at low altitude. It gets worse once over 30 feet.
2016-7-22
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

try a different micro usb cable more often then not the cable is faulty...
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Video was made using litchi screen recording.  I have attached some screen shots.

I am flying same area, same iphone.

I set it to Auto in DJI-Go app.

Either way, the image is bad if I am in Auto mode using DJI-Go as well as Litchi app.

Unrelatd to this but it has been bothering me for some time, since Litchi is telling me this is a DJI issue:

When I switch the video quality mode down to 4 MBps in Litchi, then the DJI go app switches from Auto to some custom channel.

2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Can you post the same results from the GO app.
Also, you are high up DIRECTLY overhead.
Do you have your antennas pointed correctly, When flying above you, the antennas should be pointed straight across the ground and not in the air.
Please watch this video.

2016-7-22
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

While I don't know if this might be the issue I will bring this up for your consideration.
I was getting almost the same kind of green intermittent screen last week........pauses in the video on both my iPad mini 2 and 3 all during the flight and then something dawned on me.
Even with a hood on over the iPad...........I started wondering if the mini was overheating causing the issues.

I was out in a rural area, got in my car, turned on the AC and cooled down my iPad to the point it was almost cold.  Fired up my P4 and the video feed was perfect......no issues at all.  After about an hour of standing out in the heat........even in the shade.....it overheated again and was doing the same thing. Did it with both the mini 2 and 3.

I don't know if this is in any way related to your issue, but you might give it a try if you haven't already checked.

Good Luck!
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am going to try all the above suggestions and see.

As far as recording the DJI-Go app using Litchi screen recording scares me a bit, because I never ran both apps at the same time.

But when I closed Litchi and I went into the DJI-Go app,  the screen issue remained the same.

The screen issue was also bad when I was flying at lower altitudes.  I was only flying a few feet away from the RC.
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am not sure what the cause is; too many variables:

It is 93 degrees, but I and the P4 are under tree shade.

The issue seems worse as the P4 battery goes low.

At the same time, my iphone gets hotter over time though; but nothing unusual.

The P4 is only a few feet away and only a few feet off the ground and the signal deteriorates.
[size=14.5455px]
[size=14.5455px]It was better in the beginning, but after about 4 minutes, it started to deteriorate again.
[size=14.5455px]I used a new cable but it had no affect.

I do not understand some details and I have asked before and I will ask again:

1. When the video transmission is set to Auto, does that mean that the P4 will be switching channels during flight?  Or does it just pick a channel at the onset, and it uses that channel throughout the flight?

2. Is Poor Video quality related in any way with RC - P4 Connection? or are they completely independent functions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not 100% related, and it is more a Ltchi question, but there are many Litchi users here:

How come when I set the Litchi Video quality to the lowest option, 4 MBps, then it automatically goes out of Auto to Custom Channel mode? both litchi an DJI-Go apps switch to custom channel then? [size=14.5455px]I can only maintain "Auto" mode if I keep the video quality at 10 MBps

2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-23 03:45
I am going to try all the above suggestions and see.

As far as recording the DJI-Go app using Litch ...

Do not run both apps at the same time.
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-22 17:47
Do not run both apps at the same time.

I kept it 3 feet off the ground, and I tried it, and it was strange, it went right into the dji-go app without me having to click the camera.  I kept both for about 30 seconds but then I turned it off and I do not plan to use both again!

__________________________________________UPDATE__________________________________________
I tried it inside in an air-conditioned room and when I used the battery with 25% capacity the video was bad, when I tried the full battery the video was good.

But then, when I also opended my iphone camera, and then when I went back into the dji-go app, I got disconnected for a few seconds, the screen became green, but it then recovered.

I am still confused; it seems that we may have a few variables:

- Temperature
- P4 battery life
- iphone temperature

2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-23 05:53
I kept it 3 feet off the ground, and I tried it, and it was strange, it went right into the dji-go ...

That's good to hear.
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Any suggestions on these questions:

1. When the video transmission is set to Auto, does that mean that the P4 will be switching channels during flight?  Or does it just pick a channel at the onset, and it uses that channel throughout the flight?

2. Is Poor Video quality related in any way with RC - P4 Connection? or are they completely independent functions?
2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-23 06:42
Any suggestions on these questions:

1. When the video transmission is set to Auto, does that mean ...

1. Yes, when set to Auto it switches channels to whichever has the best signal quality. When on Custom it will stay on the channel you choose and if that channel gets a lot of interference it will still stay on that channel and not change,
When flying Custom, you pick the best channel then take off but if you are flying far away you need to monitor the channels because you may fly into an area where your current good signal custom channel becomes bad.
The Video and RC control use the same frequency. Since video takes more bandwidth, you're likely to lose video way before you lose RC. So if you lose video, you don't have to panic and hit RTH. Just expand the map view and point the aircraft towards you and follow the line or radar home.
2016-7-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am going to try some setting changes later:

- Disable auto app refresh on my iphone6p
- Enable hardware decoding (but I am afraid my iphone may get hot, which may make things worse)
- I am also considering putting it in Airplane mode; I am concerned if maps will work though.
- took side/back protective cover off iphone too

But I still think there is some issue with the frequency channel hopper in the P4.
I hope the developers add the channel used in the logs soon, so we can actually see if it actually works when in Auto mode: hops across the frequency spectrum, to pick the optimal channel in real time.

When I use Litchi, it won't hold Auto mode and it switches to some random channel, unless the setting is 10MBps.  But when I look at the Litchi logs, it uses only one channel, even though I leave it in 10MBps/Auto.  Litchi says this is in the firmware. We may see the same if we had channel shown in the DJI-Go app logs.

I am hoping that this function is looked at by the developers to make sure it works as it is supposed to, and please add channel in the logs.  It's very critical.

2016-7-23
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

It was too hot to fly today!  We had electrical fires from electrical wires rubbing on trees!  Too Hot and Dry.
2016-7-23
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I flew today in 85 degree weather but the streaming video is very bad.

The channel did switch in mid flight, so that question of mine was just answered using litchi logs.  The channel changed 3 times during a mission flight.

But here is my streaming video recording, and I am only 5 feet away under the shade of a tree!

Bad Streaming Video (initial 40 seconds; sorry I forgot to edit the blank vdeo)

My Video Cache is set to Recording.  Should I set to Disabled?

Show Flight Route is On

2016-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-9 07:01
I flew today in 85 degree weather but the streaming video is very bad.

The channel did switch in mi ...

'My Video Cache is set to Recording.  Should I set to Disabled?'

yes, anything you can do to reduce the workload on the iPhone will help.
2016-8-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-8 19:57
'My Video Cache is set to Recording.  Should I set to Disabled?'

yes, anything you can do to redu ...

I will try that next, but I am not optimistic because I do not think Litchi is recording video, and I am having the video lag issue when using Litchi as well.

2016-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-9 10:42
I will try that next, but I am not optimistic because I do not think Litchi is recording video, an ...

This seems to be an issue with the 6 Plus, none of the iPads seem to be inflicted by it.
2016-8-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-8 21:52
This seems to be an issue with the 6 Plus, none of the iPads seem to be inflicted by it.

It's ironic, but first my iphone 5 could not handle the P4 video, but my P3 was fine.

Then I switched to iphone6 plus, and the P4 video was great with the original firmware and  app version 2.8.1

Then 2.8.2 messed it up, so I went back to 2.8.1 and the video was good again.

But now, after the recent firmware & app updates, my iphone 6 p can not handle it again?  

Are we going to need a 93 petaflop Sunway TaihuLight soon to control the P4?
2016-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-9 13:00
It's ironic, but first my iphone 5 could not handle the P4 video, but my P3 was fine.

Then I switc ...

Probably, or a full on gaming machine strapped to your back along with gas-turbine generator. I do think the heat of the 6+ is an issue though.
2016-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules