Compass LOCKED?? Anyone seen this before??
1495 10 2016-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thegaz99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2289144 ft
Australia

Hi all
Just fired up a replacement(new) P3P and got error "compass Locked" about 3 seconds after take off. Landed straightaway. Took off again after second compass cal. All seemed good but 5 mins into flight I get "compass error". Any ideas about this? Should I keep flying it? Thanks
2016-7-22
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you do a complete recalibration of the IMU and compass?
2016-7-23
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Australia

Yes before first flight
2016-7-23
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello thegaz99, did you keep any screenshot of this issue? Does this kind of issue come up in different places?
2016-7-24
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Australia

I got the "compass locked" message very first time I flew. Straight out of box!@! Only had locked error once. I have flown a couple more times and yes I have got the compass error in different locations. Three different locations, three compass errors. I have done compass cal at each location aswell after error but no fix. Also switches to ATTI for a few seconds when I get the error then message goes away and it returns to GPS mode. I still land asap.
2016-7-24
Use props
claudio9
New
Flight distance : 93392 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm getting the same behavior, new P3S today, I got several compass errors during both flights, one time while it was 58 meters in the air.  I was flying in a large open park both times but it was quite un nerving when it happened 2 minutes into my first flight immediately after calibrating the compass.  My 2 flights today were in opposite ends of the city and same issues in both locations.  I had to power the craft and the remote down completely and power them back up and calibrate to clear the error 2 or 3 of the times it happened, very frustrating.
2016-7-25
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

well im definitely not an expert, but a locked compass sounds like the phantom knows its turning but the compass isnt saying its turning. So, since the compass is hardware, id assume that your new phantom has a hardware defect. but im still not an expert, you should probably wait for the forum staff to reply.
2016-7-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

thegaz99 Posted at 2016-7-25 15:39
I got the "compass locked" message very first time I flew. Straight out of box!@! Only had locked er ...

Are you in a totally interference free area when doing a compass calibration? And the area you are flying in has no metal anyway near the aircraft.
Nothing in your pockets like keys, cell phone or anything metal. No watch, and the RC/tablet on the ground away from you?
From the advanced sensor page is the compass MOD values between 1,000 and 2,000?
If you are doing all these and still getting compass errors, you may want to look and sending it in to be checked out.
2016-7-25
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Australia

Yes doing calibration correctly. Open area, no metal, blah, blah My first P3P did not have any compass errors at all in over thirty flights. I have done nothing different with this new one. If it keeps happening yes its going back. Im in Australia close to this company:
DJI TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
12/125 Highbury Road
BURWOOD
VICTORIA  3125
If problem persist can I send it there for repair? Thanks
2016-7-26
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-26 03:53
Are you in a totally interference free area when doing a compass calibration? And the area you are ...

Yes doing calibration correctly. Open area, no metal, blah, blah My first P3P did not have any compass errors at all in over thirty flights. I have done nothing different with this new one. If it keeps happening yes its going back. Im in Australia close to this company:
DJI TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
12/125 Highbury Road
BURWOOD
VICTORIA  3125
If problem persist can I send it there for repair? Thanks
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

thegaz99 Posted at 2016-7-27 17:07
Yes doing calibration correctly. Open area, no metal, blah, blah My first P3P did not have any com ...

Ok, then it may be an aircraft issue.
You would need to send it to China, as the DJI repair facilities can only do warranty repair work as of now.
Contact support@DJI.com and they will take care of you.
2016-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules