Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Flame Wheel F450 and F550 Owners Thread
44837 100 2014-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
F550
New

United States

Just an update on my latest activities...  Have tried the 8000mAh LiPo and found the F550 WILL lift the added weight but much of the hoped for additional flight time (mAh) was used up in keeping
the bird aloft. Have returned to the 5500 mAh batteries.  
The new landing gear works very well,  having survived but another hard landing ( sigh ! ) where it basically came unsnapped but with no real damage to either drone or camera.  
Picked up the shed parts, snapped all back together and made two more short flights.   Also have fitted the drone with a take-down GPS antenna mount for easier transport and highly recommend
the blade guards for anyone who is experiencing ( as I ) "hard" landings. With the cost of CF rotors @ $15/pair they more than have paid for themselves after the latest "incident".
2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Good idea on going back to the 5000 Mah pack.

Dave
AKADWA

2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

F550 Posted at 2015-10-2 10:59
Just a quick note for the "newbies" ( like me ) out there who may be trying to use the DJI "Assistan ...

Good info, thanks for posting. :

Dave
2015-11-20
Use props
F5500
New

I'm "Baaaakk".... Some time has elapsed since I last posted ...  My flying skills have improved and am really enjoying getting out and photographing the desert areas !  This post concerns what I've encountered as of late.

First, I'm producing some nice videos that contain overlaid real-time data about things like altitude, direction of flight, battery voltage, etc.  It is fun to see this data displayed with the videos from the GoPro. Am using a product called "Dashware" that at this point is free to download and use. A bit of a learning curve for this "old-dog" but I'm getting some nice results.

Which brings me to the following:  In the name of economy, I "skimped" when first purchasing my F550 and bought DJI's iOSD MINI - Knowing that it had NO DATA RECORDING capability and elected to use a FLYTREX datalogger module instead.  At first I was quite satisfied with the Flytrex performance. However,  after several flights, I started noticing some "funny" altitude readings.  Flytrex, as part of their product, has a website that converts the encoded data their module produces, to either a CSV file or a Google Earth KML file. They also "award" badges for certain activities.  All was well until I suddenly received a badge for a flight in excess of 1000 ft. !!  -  NO! I did not fly that high !  - Contacted Flytrex and they requested a copy of the flight data file, which was duly sent. After several weeks waiting for a response, I was told that the matter had been turned over to their technical group and from that point on I have heard nothing.  Several subsequent flights produced equally "amazing" flights - flying at 30 some odd feet then within a space of a couple of MILLISECONDS ( ! ) zooming to an altitude of several hundred feet !!  

Having now experienced this on most all subsequent flights, I've decided to trash the Flytrex unit in favor of installing the full-blown iOSD from DJI which does have the capability of storing flight data for later retrieval.
My only concern is of course, wiring - The iOSD's hook up is different from the iOSD MINI's.  Is anyone out there flying a bird with the DJI iOSD, CAN Bus Module, Zenmuse ( or other ) gimbal module ? Have looked on the Net for a wiring diagram but so far have not located one that has the aforementioned components.  Any assist would be greatly appreciated !

I'm including a couple of shots of my "bird" for those interested ...

F550 - 1.png
F550 - 2.JPG
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

F5500 Posted at 2016-7-18 04:41
I'm "Baaaakk".... Some time has elapsed since I last posted ...  My flying skills have improved and  ...

Page 17 of the iOSD Mark II manual does have a simple connection diagram for the NAZA V2:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 2+EN+2016.07.14.pdf

It also has the other compatible flight controller configurations as well. FPV connections would be on page 6.
Happy you hear you made the jump up. I also have a Mark II on my Naza V2 rig that's been working great for me.
2016-7-19
Use props
F5500
New

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-20 02:12
Page 17 of the iOSD Mark II manual does have a simple connection diagram for the NAZA V2:

https:// ...

Thank you DJI-Jamie !  I will read over the pages suggested and see what I can do from there !  
Glad to hear from someone using similar equipment.
2016-7-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

F5500 Posted at 2016-7-20 08:30
Thank you DJI-Jamie !  I will read over the pages suggested and see what I can do from there !  
G ...

You're welcome.

Happy flying!
2016-7-20
Use props
F5500
New

Just thought I'd log in and let all know of my progress ( and problems ) experienced with updating my F550 to the iOSD Mark II.  I'll post some pictures for clarity.  First off, the replacement went
very smoothly thanks to some help from DJI-Jamie ( see above ). Removed the old "Mini" unit, made some minor re-wirings ( mainly in the area of battery power as the new iOSD came with a power lead with two
XT-60 connectors ). That done, I double-checked all the new wiring ( and some of the old ) not wanting to "fry" my new purchase or my "bird" ( F550's taste awful I'm told ! ).  Screwed up my courage and powered up the drone.  No "gesparkin" ! The drone proceeded through it's warm up and satellite acquisition, and my field monitor came up with the iOSD display without a whimper.  Success !! ... almost ... This is where I began an off and on two week session of pulling out what little hair I had left. ...  Next thing to try was the CSC to get the motors up and running. NOPE ! Nary a twitch. Had I somehow mis-wired something ?
Broke out the Assistant Software and began a run through the set ups.  Hmmmm when I got to the "Motor Test" section, all worked just fine - using the Assistant, I could get each of the motors to briefly spin up so the wiring was ok, the "problem" seemed to lay with the NAZA IMU !  As stated, I spent almost two weeks checking this , checking that, browsing the Net for any glimmer of help, all to no avail, the F550 stubbornly refused to
fire up. {:4_157:} Called a friend, he came over and we both were pulling hair !  I had reached the point of desperation where I was considering a "Hard Reset" of the IMU having now run out of ideas as to where the problem lay.  Enough now, of the chest beating, Yesterday evening, I had a thought, what if somehow the THROTTLE was backwards ???  ( No idea how that could have happened but ... ). Arose early fired everything up
and pushed the throttle stick to what should have been 100%, and did the CSC thingy ... ( big pause )  YES ! up spun the motors nice as you please !  I was so excited I temporarily forgot that things ( throttle ) were now apparently REVERSED and from habit, pushed the throttle down to shut off the motors, The F550 dutifully started for the ceiling !  Caught it before bad things happened and shut down successfully.  SUCCESS ( at last ).  I, like others, i'm sure couldn't see the trees for the forest and spent several hours ( days ) checking all sorts of "possibilities" as to why the CSC command was not working. All the new wiring and iOSD were just fine. As said somehow in the doing of things the throttle became programmed BACKWARDS. I was just glad I did not have to go into the "bird" once more on what would have been yet another futile search for the problem.
Those of you who may be having CSC "problems" - check your throttle setup ! It can be just that simple ...  Unfortunately, the Assistant software will not tell you WHY the IMU won't accept the CSC command.
This weekend it's now out to the desert to run the new iOSD through its paces and see what kind of data it produces ...  Call me "HAPPY ! "

bad.png
good.png
Old iOSD Mini Wiring Diagram.png
iOSD Mark II Wiring Diagram.png
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

F5500 Posted at 2016-8-12 11:57
Just thought I'd log in and let all know of my progress ( and problems ) experienced with updating m ...

That does seem odd that one channel would reverse on its own. Are you sure that you did not accidentially click on that button when trying when trying to navigate between windows? I've seen settings reset after a firmware update, but it normally affects all the channels and not just one. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue, and hope you enjoy your new upgrade.
2016-8-12
Use props
F5500
New

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-13 02:41
That does seem odd that one channel would reverse on its own. Are you sure that you did not accide ...

Oh, I'm pretty sure that it was I who messed the throttle setting up ! I just don't quite know how I might have done it.  In any event, the "purpose" of my post was to alert others that even though it might appear that the throttle is set up correctly, if you are having CSC problems, it's one thing you might want to check ...

While I'm here, what kind of "bird" are you flying ? - I really like the F550 but some of the newer drones have some nice features they are offering ...  And again thanks for replying to my post - nice to know someone out there is reading things ...  
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

F5500 Posted at 2016-8-13 10:32
Oh, I'm pretty sure that it was I who messed the throttle setting up ! I just don't quite know how ...

It's very easy to get trigger happy with the cursor when you're not quite paying attention, happens to me all the time.

I'm a F550 fan myself with a Naza V3, E300 Tuned Propulsion, H3-3D, AVL58, Futaba 10J, and an iOSD Mark II.
2016-8-13
Use props
F5500
New

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-14 11:02
It's very easy to get trigger happy with the cursor when you're not quite paying attention, happen ...

Finally answered my earlier posted question ...  The iOSD Data Files are stored on a "temporary" drive that is created when setting up the iOSD software.  The DJI"warning" was ( for me ) somewhat confusing, but the information as to where the Data is stored IS THERE !  Now have LOTS of data files to browse through !  Not
so sure I can make use of this data in the way that I'd been doing with the earlier Flytrex module. But as the Flytrex was giving Bad Data, that was no longer useful !
Will have to play around with this new format and see if I can make use of it ...
2016-8-18
Use props
Brian80
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'd like to know how heavy that F450 is, its very similar to my build. I got a Zenmuse Gimbal and H3 on it.
2016-11-15
Use props
Brian80
lvl.1
United Kingdom

My F450 is fitted with the following: Zenmuze H3-3D Gimbal and GCU (GoPo H3), Ground Station, IOSD, Bluetooth, 5.8Gh Transmitter and CANBUS. With the battery it weighs in at 1.8300kg.  I have just changed the Level 1 battery level to 10.76 (Loss 0.7) and Level 2 10.00. I will also post as to the flight times I'm getting. Has anyone esle here got a similar sertup?
2016-11-19
Use props
fansee8825fa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 475719 ft
United States

Hello I recently bought the flamewheel F550 with Naza M V2, isod mini. CAN HUB, zenmuse h4-3D , DT7&DR16, retractable landing gear. I built the drone to the point everything was assembled to where I can plug in the aircraft to my pc to configure the drone threw Naza mv2 assistant program. I couldn't bind my transmitter with it so i asked for help threw Dji forums and found windows 10 doesn't read the coms port so I follows instructions and it worked for about a week then now every time I try to connect the aircraft to the PC THIS COMES UP and I do. Or know what to do. I have another flamewheel with Naza light and it works perfectly fine. I feel like it the fight controller or LED USB PORT . But I purchased a brand new LED AND IT STILL DOESNT work.It says "unknown USB device" " (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Everytime I plug the aircraft to PC . I need your help
IMG_6850.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG
2017-8-22
Use props
fansee8825fa
lvl.1
United States

DWA Posted at 2014-10-3 21:25
He is not near you, he is in Orange County. I did talk to him today. He said he likes the E600 with extended arms on his F450. But he did not have any flight times for you because he has not tried to fly it for duration. He did not say much more than that he was busy with work.

If i were you I would go for it and report back here with your findings. :-)

Hello I recently bought the flamewheel F550 with Naza M V2, isod mini. CAN HUB, zenmuse h4-3D , DT7&DR16, retractable landing gear. I built the drone to the point everything was assembled to where I can plug in the aircraft to my pc to configure the drone threw Naza mv2 assistant program. I couldn't bind my transmitter with it so i asked for help threw Dji forums and found windows 10 doesn't read the coms port so I follows instructions and it worked for about a week then now every time I try to connect the aircraft to the PC THIS COMES UP and I do. Or know what to do. I have another flamewheel with Naza light and it works perfectly fine. I feel like it the fight controller or LED USB PORT . But I purchased a brand new LED AND IT STILL DOESNT work.It says "unknown USB device" " (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Everytime I plug the aircraft to PC . I need your help please contact me at baileymarine8@gmail.com
IMG_6850.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG
2017-8-22
Use props
fansee8825fa
lvl.1
United States

davegbecker@gma Posted at 2014-10-31 04:38
i have a 450, I was running a 3s 2200 battery and getting about 8-9 min out of the battery before the red light came on. Today I got a new 3s 4000 battery and got about 9 min out of it. I didnt think the weight was that much of an issue? Also I read somewhere you need to break in a lipo? Also when I charged it, it only put a little over 2000 back into the battery? Do I need to do something to break in the battery? Or should I get a lighter battery?

Hello I recently bought the flamewheel F550 with Naza M V2, isod mini. CAN HUB, zenmuse h4-3D , DT7&DR16, retractable landing gear. I built the drone to the point everything was assembled to where I can plug in the aircraft to my pc to configure the drone threw Naza mv2 assistant program. I couldn't bind my transmitter with it so i asked for help threw Dji forums and found windows 10 doesn't read the coms port so I follows instructions and it worked for about a week then now every time I try to connect the aircraft to the PC THIS COMES UP and I do. Or know what to do. I have another flamewheel with Naza light and it works perfectly fine. I feel like it the fight controller or LED USB PORT . But I purchased a brand new LED AND IT STILL DOESNT work.It says "unknown USB device" " (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Everytime I plug the aircraft to PC . I need your help Please baileyMarie8@gmail.com
IMG_6850.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG
2017-8-22
Use props
fansee8825fa
lvl.1
United States

DWA Posted at 2014-9-30 21:20
I do know of 2 people using E600 motors and extended arms on 450's using 6S. One in California and one in Florida. I do not remember much about there exact setup or stats. I will try to find out more for you. The guy I know in Cali is a friend so I will call him.

Hello I recently bought the flamewheel F550 with Naza M V2, isod mini. CAN HUB, zenmuse h4-3D , DT7&DR16, retractable landing gear. I built the drone to the point everything was assembled to where I can plug in the aircraft to my pc to configure the drone threw Naza mv2 assistant program. I couldn't bind my transmitter with it so i asked for help threw Dji forums and found windows 10 doesn't read the coms port so I follows instructions and it worked for about a week then now every time I try to connect the aircraft to the PC THIS COMES UP and I do. Or know what to do. I have another flamewheel with Naza light and it works perfectly fine. I feel like it the fight controller or LED USB PORT . But I purchased a brand new LED AND IT STILL DOESNT work.It says "unknown USB device" " (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" Everytime I plug the aircraft to PC . I need your help
2017-8-22
Use props
Sas Lelwala
New

United Kingdom

Hi there all,
I have recently built my own quad using the f450 frame. As I am still a beginner I decided not to go for something much more fancier than a DJI Naza M flight controller.
I plan to fit a gimbal to my drone and was wondering how I would go about doing this.  I don't have a landing gear so i cant mount the camera underneath the drone! Hope you can provide some interesting advice.  Please advice me on what type of gimbal to use and how I would attach it to my drone.

Thanks All
Sas
2017-9-17
Use props
AirStraffer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176070 ft
United States

Dear Forum,

I have several Phantom 3 standards. One has a bad main board so I thought I would take the 2310A motors off and embark on a F450 project. I can't find spec for that motor. Can anyone comment on some good ESC's to buy for this to work with these motors?

Thanks
2018-2-2
Use props
AirStraffer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176070 ft
United States

AirStraffer Posted at 2018-2-2 07:00
Dear Forum,

I have several Phantom 3 standards. One has a bad main board so I thought I would take the 2310A motors off and embark on a F450 project. I can't find spec for that motor. Can anyone comment on some good ESC's to buy for this to work with these motors?

Sorry I typed the wrong motor in my last post. It is a 2312A motor. Anyone can comment on the specs on this motor or what ESC would be appropriate for it if I put them on my F450?
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules