Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How hot is too hot for the batteries in the Inspire 1?
3647 20 2016-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

Sorry if this has been brought up or it is readily available information. It has been over 100* here reciently for the last week so I've not flown during those temps. I did fly this morning with the temp of 85* for 18 mins total before landing. I noticed the temp of the battery was 55.5C (132F). Is that a normal operating tempature for the battery? It was warm to the touch but not so much that it couldn't be handled easily when I removed it from the craft.

Thanks in advance and again I apoligize if this has been brought up before.

Cheers
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It is a tad high, but it seems normal given the circumstances. The Go app would let you know if the battery is reaching extreme temperatures that require to land as soon as possible.
2016-7-26
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.4

United States

If you think that is hot. It would blow your mind to feel one of my 12s after 4 mins in my 700 size heli lol
2016-7-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I fly my inspire on hot days ( 85 plus) I don't push it to hard. My motor temp on an 85 degree day after 15 minute flight will run around 95 degrees f. The battery will be around 140 degree f. I check them with an laser temp gun. So in my opinion I think your good to go.
2016-7-26
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't think it would be a issue but I wanted to make sure. I haven't been able to put it up much since the temps have been well over 100* here and I'm just not comfortable putting up in those conditions. It might be fine but I don't want to risk it.

I did get a few shots this morning though

untitled-36-HDR by T Productions, on Flickr
2016-7-26
Use props
mydogisdead
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8250568 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A parasitic film forms faster at 40 degrees C when the battery is discharging and charging... it lowers your capacity and charge cycle... if you have to go in a hot climate, go slow because these
drones normally suck up to 20 amps at a time or even 30amps and over if you are speeding and climbing at the same time... unless you change the battery formula these batteries will not last...
2016-7-27
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

its going to be 104*F tomorrow  and most likely will not fly in this heat. The morning will be in the 90s

I keep a close watch on the battery and fly smoothly as possible... no high performance climbs or 50mph runs. I try to land at 30% or so leaving some reserve power

Rich
2016-7-27
Use props
ge0se
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-7-28 11:54
its going to be 104*F tomorrow  and most likely will not fly in this heat. The morning will be in th ...

I've had a few flights in very hot weather and by end of flight Inspire would barely respond to my input, also would barely be able to stop at the end of the descent, almost hit the ground even though I descended at normal rate. Needless to say I received quite a scare
When I was removing the battery it was VERY hot, don't know exactly what temperature but in cooler days it'd never reach such heat levels. This was with Inspire V1 BTW, which we know has limited propulsion output in certain circumstances. Now I learned hot battery temperature is one of the factors that'll limit propulsion output significantly, to the point that you could crash the craft if you descend too quickly.
On a hot day it's a great idea to check battery temps towards the end of flight before you plan to do a quick descend (or if theres a long way home against the wind). I'm pretty sure V2 doesn't suffer from this as much, or if you have the X3, even X5 camera. I was flying the X5R which is substantially heavier.

Another thing against hot mid-day flying, the light is usually so harsh you wont capture artistically rich images. Early morning and late afternoon/evening generally allows for capturing much prettier images.
2016-7-27
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

RE: How hot is too hot for the batteries in the Inspire 1?

ge0se Posted at 2016-7-28 14:57
I've had a few flights in very hot weather and by end of flight Inspire would barely respond to my  ...

I agree with not flying in extremely hot weather. I bought mine back in Dec of last year and never gave it much thought until Summertime hit. Temps here can get unbearable during the day so I've chosen not to fly during the hottest parts of the day just to be on the safe side.

As far as light condititions go I suppose it really depends on what you're shooting and the shot you'd like to get. I agree the "golden hour" is the ideal time but I can get quality shots in the middle of the day that are just as dramatic depending on what you are shooting and how you post process.
2016-7-28
Use props
adam1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-7-28 10:13
I agree with not flying in extremely hot weather. I bought mine back in Dec of last year and never ...

I'm with you, sometimes in my job I'm not able to pick the exact times I can shoot, or wait for a cooler day.  Also, there's a world of great images that do not involve shooting golden hour
2016-7-28
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-7-27 23:57
I've had a few flights in very hot weather and by end of flight Inspire would barely respond to my  ...

ge0se

Agree and you stated this very well... I think that you are correct with the extra weight onboard this will greatly impact everything. I am running the X3 camera on the V2 platform and so far this gives me plenty of power when it is needed.    I have noticed that it is much slower in forward flight which is disappointing (after FW changes).

The Inspire battery does get hot and I allow them to cool down slowly in a shaded area. Maybe the new Inspire 2 will have the venting slots inside the battery like the P4. I have noticed the P4 battery stays much cooler in the same conditions.
Rich
2016-7-28
Use props
brazilights
lvl.2
Flight distance : 214770 ft
United States

Take the opportunity to study weather as related to aeronautics.

This information is from this website.

http://aviation.stackexchange.co ... takeoff-performance

Yes, temperature effects airplane performance both the engine itself and the aerodynamics involved.
What Is Density Altitude?
Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for nonstandard temperature. As temperature and altitude increase, air density decreases. In a sense, it's the altitude at which the airplane "feels" its flying.
How Will High Density Altitude Affect Flight?
On a hot and humid day, the aircraft will accelerate more slowly down the runway, will need to move faster to attain the same lift, and will climb more slowly. The less dense the air, the less lift, the more lackluster the climb, and the longer the distance needed for takeoff and landing. Fewer air molecules in a given volume of air also result in reduced propeller efficiency and therefore reduced net thrust. All of these factors can lead to an accident if the poor performance has not been anticipated.
Tips for Flying in High Density Altitude Areas
One way of looking at it is that higher temperatures make the airplane fly the way it would at a higher altitude where the air is less dense. An airplane cannot climb to infinity, it has what is called a service ceiling [and an absolute ceiling] that the aircraft can no longer climb any higher. This also because of a decrease in air density, but for a different reason. Raising the temperature of the air also decreases this air density. You can use an Air Density Calculator or a Density Altitude Chart

2016-7-28
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

brazilights Posted at 2016-7-29 04:42

This information is from this web ...

Lol... I just wanted to know if the batteries were too hot during my morning flight or if it seemed about normal?
2016-7-28
Use props
japoyiii
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1107776 ft
United States

Flew yesterday at ATTI mode at all times for 14minutes flight at 101* in the bay area and landed my inspire then check the battery temp with laser temp it shown 150*. Battery was hot so i put inside my fridge to cool it for 15minutes  then recharge it again. so far no issues yet. TB47 101 cycle charge and still getting 15minutes flight time.
2016-7-29
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4
United States

japoyiii Posted at 2016-7-29 22:34
Flew yesterday at ATTI mode at all times for 14minutes flight at 101* in the bay area and landed my  ...

I've just opted to not fly in extremely hot conditions. High today is only supposed to be 85* so I'm not so worried about it during those conditions but I'll keep an eye on it.
2016-7-29
Use props
japoyiii
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1107776 ft
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-7-29 08:21
I've just opted to not fly in extremely hot conditions. High today is only supposed to be 85* so I ...

forgot to mentioned all motors was at 89*
2016-7-29
Use props
txww
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5235886 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the best way to keep your extra batteries cool while I'm flying?  If I find a shady spot to put them in is that ok when it's 103 outside?  Or should I put them in a cooler with the blue frozen ice packs?  Either way they are not in the car where it's really hot inside.
2016-8-5
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4
United States

txww@hotmail.co Posted at 2016-8-5 22:02
What is the best way to keep your extra batteries cool while I'm flying?  If I find a shady spot to  ...

Honestly I don't know. I would think the shade is fine. I never thought about it when I purchased it back in Dec. but now I've got to the point that I won't fly it in the middle of the day when the temps around here are over 100.
2016-8-6
Use props
bill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9865 ft

Had a assignment recently in Miami. It was 95 and very humid. Did not have a issue with batteries but noticed the stock props at that temp had too much flex. Noticed the response was a bit off. It was super difficult to concentrate in theses conditions. Being on a construction site with many operations on going ads to mission. All went well but...Since then have installed carbon fiber props. Highly suggest carbon fiber over stock props.
2016-8-29
Use props
jim.jimrichard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12382 ft
United States

brazilights Posted at 2016-7-28 12:42

This information is from this website.

Thanks for the lesson. I've studied this subject before and your write up clarified a few things.
2019-6-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jim.jimrichard Posted at 6-22 15:39
Thanks for the lesson. I've studied this subject before and your write up clarified a few things.

Few other things about DJI batteries have caught our attention since. Firstly, aged and worn out batteries are not only of decreased capacity. These tend to exhibit limited ability to safely deliver required current when stressed, and get warm faster than healthy one. Although 50C in such conditions wouldn't alarm me much, cell's voltage drop will. I suggest paying attention to individual cells voltage display on dedicated Go app page during test flight. If under stress some cells show voltage drops below safe green level, it's a sign of aging and time for retirement. The battery may be still good for hovering or short gentle flight, but be careful. The symptoms described here can be observed regardless total number of charges, maintenance deep-cycling or storage habits. It's a matter of time, counting from production date.
2019-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules