DJI Phantom FC40 losing control only with accessories
1952 4 2014-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alf206
New

United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has an experience with this. My phantom is perfectly well behaved until the other day a bought a cheap gimbal off ebay, fitted it to the phantom fc40, powering it iwth the balance cable from the battery. When I fly it after maybe a minute the phantom suddenly steeply turns and crashes. It doesnt lose power just becomes unresponsive and veers away from me. I assumed it was the gimbal interferring with something however if I use my fpv gear (900mhz) that I got from hobby king I get the same out of control behaviour without the gimbal being attached. When I remove everything the phantom works fine and I don't get any crashes. This even happens when I only attach the gimbal without powering it up?

Any suggestions?

2014-9-29
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

It has to be how the accessories are connected  to the air frame.
How is the gimbal connected to the FC?
Are you using a tilt function?
Powering stuff off the balance connector is not recommended as a good lipo practice.
What voltages are the accessories?
2014-9-29
Use props
alf206
New

United Kingdom

The FPV gear and the gimbal are both 12v. I originally had the gimbal wired into the extra power supply coming off the board inside the phantom, one of the crashes tore them out and I figured there was no point wiring them back in until I figured it out. I've flown it twice today with no problem (without any accessories). The gimbal was screwed into the two screw holes the stock camera mount attches to. I was planning on using the tilt function but I hadn't connected it.
2014-9-29
Use props
alf206
New

United Kingdom

After lots more looking I think I might have an idea of what is happening, I've got a mobius cam and I think it's this which is throwing off the GPS signal...
2014-9-29
Use props
SFOS900
lvl.1

United States

I hope you have master your problem by now.

It is always tricky to wire other things like lights, gimbals and FPV item to the Phantoms. As you never really know what can and will
happen. Most of them will really drain the power from the battery and therefore limited you flight time. Stick an additional battery on the
phantom might help...

The GPS as well as the internal flight controller do not like electromagnetic interference....
2014-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules