Will I be able to fly my Inspire without any worries once I get prop locks?
1429 5 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blip
lvl.2

United States

Should I fly my bird once I get the prop locks or is it completely safe to fly? Im using an Android tablet with the latest firmware.

2015-1-26
Use props
neuroverse
lvl.1

United States

I've been flying mine without locks on Android this whole time and it's been fine. Just use common sense and stick to a strict preflight checklist. I'd keep it low, slow ,and close by until you master your controls. Even then, I wouldn't rely on GPS 100%. You need to know how to control it without a lock (attitude mode).  All that being said, I don't think any drone will ever be "completely safe".
2015-1-26
Use props
outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depends on your experience flying a drone. I am a complete noob. I am flying without my props lock but I am still worried every time I fly. There are so many surprises with this bird. (Drifting away even in GPS mode, losing GPS and going ATTI, compass interruption error, taking off and go higher by itself, etc.).
2015-1-26
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Practice is a good thing!
2015-1-26
Use props
steve.davesmoto
New

United States

"is it completely safe to fly" the answer will always be no. When flying a model aircraft you need to accept that there will be inherent risks associated with that. A metaphor for this could be driving a car, getting on an airplane, eating at Taco Bell.

As long as everything is working as it should, then yes it is safe to fly. If something in or out of your control malfunctions, then it is not safe. Take your time, be patient. The Inspire 1 is far more advanced than the other ready to fly offerings from DJI.
2015-1-27
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I never saw an aircraft -- or for that matter anything exciting or fun -- that was completely safe.  They could engineer redundancy into this thing till it is nothing more than a coffee table conversation piece...but then what would be the point of it?  That said they will make these more and more stable.

But for now I guess your question is more about safety relative to what it was before the prop locks ... I haven't gotten them yet but from my experience with the Inspire I think that it was relatively safe to fly before the prop lock issue ever came up and it will be even safer after they are installed. I never had any issues other than some glitches to do with the iOS app.  

The Beginner Mode is a brilliant function of the Pilot App.  You can also set very tight parameters for distance and altitude in P mode. You may only want it to go a few meters away from you and it seems to work well in my experience.

The main thing to do is practice risk management when you fly it.  I know it sounds preachy and obnoxious but don't fly over or too near someone or something that you could hurt if you were to lose control of it.  That is one way to make sure it is pretty safe.

Dan
2015-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules