Drone and Battery Storage in a Hot Car
8997 16 2016-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
capt_mats_tache
lvl.1

United States

Are there any issues with leaving the P4 or its batteries in a hot car?
2016-7-28
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

The issue with LiPo batteries at extreme temperatures are most notable when the battery is in a low voltage state, i.e discharged to 0-10%. In these cases there is evidence that the voltage capacity will rarely, if ever recover.  When the are maintained charged (ideally between 50-60% charge), extreme temperatures will affect the battery (voltage drops when heated, rises when cooled) but the battery normally rebounds when returned to ambient temperature.

When flying close to the limits specified by DJI (manufacturer) during extreme temperatures, keep in mind voltage is dropping and may drop rapidly depending on current draw. This could lead to a crashed aircraft and an irrecoverable battery.

To answer your question, try to keep the batteries between the manufacturers suggested temperatures and remember it is a bad idea to fly with a hot or cold LiPo battery.  

Hope this rambling helps.
This link will give you an idea about the behavior of LiPo batteries in extreme temperatures.

Boiling Batteries

2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would not leave the batteries in a hot car. It can get 150 degrees in there and I'm sure if left for hours on end is not good for the batteries.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/en/Phantom_4_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf
Capture.JPG
2016-7-28
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

This question might as well be "Are Lipo batteries dangerous leaving in a hot car"?

My feeling is that if you are 100% sure that the inside of the car won't go over 90 degrees F, it should be okay......

I have had a lipo battery burst into flames at 2am in the moring from just sitting there......it was a bad lipo
Basically, do you want to risk it.
If you insist on leaving it inside the car, put the lipo in a container.
2016-7-28
Use props
capt_mats_tache
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the input I just don't want to miss opportunities to get footage.
2016-7-28
Use props
thorsten.yachtc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

So what do do.. I live on a island in china. We always have 28 to 32 degree centergade.Afte a normal flight with my p4 the batteries are really!!! Hot. Up to 51 degree centergrade.
I like to see a statement of DJI.
Thx.
2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

thorsten.yachtc Posted at 2016-7-29 10:01
So what do do.. I live on a island in china. We always have 28 to 32 degree centergade.Afte a normal ...

Place the battery in a cool place after a normal flight. When the battery meet its heat threshold during the flight, the app will prompt a notification of it. But I'd suggest you to keep your eyes on the battery temperature during the flight and land the drone when the battery reaches 60°C.
2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Don't leave your drone batteries in the car unattended. In summer time, the temperature in the car can get as high as 170 F, or 76 C, and it will kill your battery.

This happened to a forum member several days ago. I can't find the post..
2016-7-29
Use props
Hilda
New

Colombia

It is not safe to leave the battery in the car. Everyday there are a lot of accidents occurring due to these king of carelessness. It is advisable to store the batteries in storage space like http://www.ultrastor.ca/storage- ... rm-storage-options/ instead of storing them in open space like car, especially hot car. I have read many articles which mentions the fire accidents caused by batteries. So be cautious and try to store them separately.
2016-11-22
Use props
PilotRyan
New

Mauritius

okay battery cannot be stored in Hot Car. But let say i'm at work i wish to fly in the afternoon and i don't want to bring the big drone case at work. Can I just remove all the battery and just leave the drone and the controller inside the car on a hot summer day?
2018-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You could use a Coleman cooler, for keeping it cool, in the car.

Works the opposite of a thermos. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Hot cars and batterys are a No NO .... that includes the battery in your controller.

The AC (drone) itself is fine ... would take a lot of heat to affect that.

But any battery - better to not leave it in there.

Think on this : Dogs die in hot cars ... even with a window cracked open. If a Dog can die in there - what do you think it does to your $150 battery ??
You can forget the cooler - unless you cool it way down before and don't leave it too long in the car to slowly heat up ...

Nigel
2018-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Unless you cool it first. What a dork. Yes they normally hold cold packs or ice. Hahaha

Leave it to you to try and be the soothe sayer. You are a headache.

What do you think, fill the thing with hot coals first?
Is that the very best you can do, to be determined to undermine what ever I Post. Sucker man. You would be in PC.

Please stop including me in your evil thoughts, devil made you do it...

RedHotPoker
2018-2-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I missed the word Coleman ... which I assume you mean the DC powered Cooler box - that is fine - if you don't mind your car battery being drained.If you mean just a plain insulated box - suggest you check how long they stay cool.

I have two DC powered cooler boxes ... Minutemaid - that draws over 10A ... the other draws just under 5A .....
I also have 1 Cool box and 3 Cool bags - all plain insulated variety - best is maybe an hour or two at most if not opened ... even with Freezer packs in - they will not survive a day. And if you do NOT cool the box first - then your freezer packs will last significantly less ...

RHP - suggest you consider anger management.

Of course having got fed up with you - you are reported AGAIN ...

Nigel
2018-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2018-2-15 01:23
I missed the word Coleman ... which I assume you mean the DC powered Cooler box - that is fine - if you don't mind your car battery being drained.If you mean just a plain insulated box - suggest you check how long they stay cool.

I have two DC powered cooler boxes ... Minutemaid - that draws over 10A ... the other draws just under 5A .....

Like I said, just a bunch of dopes. Pathetic losers.

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/19/17 ... pics-doping-curling

Russian Olympic doping in Curling. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-2-19
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-29 01:43
Don't leave your drone batteries in the car unattended. In summer time, the temperature in the car can get as high as 170 F, or 76 C, and it will kill your battery.

This happened to a forum member several days ago. I can't find the post..

This is an idea I want to try but haven’t yet. Get a cooler large enough to hold drone and put a small amount of ice in a container and put in cooler with drone.  I fly in Florida and know about the heat.
2018-2-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Imovetheearth Posted at 2018-2-25 17:19
This is an idea I want to try but haven’t yet. Get a cooler large enough to hold drone and put a small amount of ice in a container and put in cooler with drone.  I fly in Florida and know about the heat.

If you want, you can test it. Place the cooler packs in the appropriate cooler, and place a regular house thermometer in there. Into the auto. Wrap the thermometer in a towel even. However you choose. Then check it a number of hours later. See where the thermometer reads.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules