1582 9 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattsimok33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213084 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]Hi All,

[size=14.6667px]Normally I set my RTH to point in which the I1 takes off from, however, because of a recent project and amount of distance I'm traveling with the I1, I want to set its RTH to me. Everytime I go to switch the settings it says that the RC's GPS signal is too weak to connect. However I have 16-20 satellites full GPS and full RC connection. My phone has GPS and locations enabled with 4G and full or near full bars. Not sure whats going on here, was wondering if anyone had any fixes for this?

[size=14.6667px]~Thanks!  

2016-7-30
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The number of satellites you have in the app is no indication of how strong GPS signal the RC has, it indicates the signal the Inspire has. Ensure the front of the controller (that is where GPS is located) is pointing to the sky.
2016-7-30
Use props
mattsimok33
lvl.1
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-7-31 00:00
The number of satellites you have in the app is no indication of how strong GPS signal the RC has, i ...

I've done that as well, I know that the two are separate, I've tried it in numerous locations, still to no avail. I've read some people have to flying the craft first and then change to Dynamic RTH, any truth to this?
2016-7-30
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

mattsimok33@gma Posted at 2016-7-30 13:13
I've done that as well, I know that the two are separate, I've tried it in numerous locations, sti ...

No experience with needing to switch, so can't help there. What kind of tablet/phone are you using? Note that having near or close to full bars on your device is no indication of how strong your GPS signal is, only indicates reception.
Edit: was out this morning and tested, works every time to change home point to RC. Keep in mind that there have to be a separation from old HP to the new RC location of 20+ meters.

Your issue with weak signal is most likely with the mobile device you are using. I was testing with iPad Mini4 with cellular and worked every time.
2016-7-30
Use props
mattsimok33
lvl.1
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-7-30 10:35
No experience with needing to switch, so can't help there. What kind of tablet/phone are you using? ...

I was under the impression that the GPS signal for the RTH to RC is ONLY related to the GPS signal emitting from the RC itself no other device?

I've tried using both my Android OS phone (Sony Xperia) and my Ipad (which has no cellular) both to no avail. In the past It worked with my phone, so this seems to be a new development. I've not tired setting the HP again having moved 20+ meters from Original HP, I may give that a try.
2016-8-1
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

mattsimok33@gma Posted at 2016-8-1 12:44
I was under the impression that the GPS signal for the RTH to RC is ONLY related to the GPS signal  ...

First off we are not talking about RTH, we are changing Home Point (but indirect I guess it will become RTH if triggered)

Think you issue is the choice of tablet. you need to have GPS on it that support both GPS bands. The Inspire's RC does have GPS but only support 1 band and it is weak, therefore you need a device that has it aboard, iPad wifi will not work but iPad with cellular will work fine. This is also true for using the "Follow mode".
2016-8-1
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I always thought the Home point is the longitude and latitude (Altitude also) recorded by the aircraft at takeoff and has no relation to the location of the remote control. When the voice says "The home point has been recorded".
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-8-2 06:12
I always thought the Home point is the longitude and latitude (Altitude also) recorded by the aircra ...

It normally is set by the aircraft location upon take off, however, you can change the home point after take off to record a new home point based off of the RC or the craft's new location. Here is an excerpt from the Dynamic Home Point section of the Inspire 1 manual:
dynamic home point.JPG
2016-8-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

mattsimok33@gma Posted at 2016-7-31 00:13
I've done that as well, I know that the two are separate, I've tried it in numerous locations, sti ...

Have you ensured that there are no obstructions around the RC's GPS module? You can use the diagram on Post #8 to double check.
2016-8-2
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-3 04:21
It normally is set by the aircraft location upon take off, however, you can change the home point a ...

Exactly.
It is always recorded by the location of the aircraft, either at time of liftoff or another time, but never the location of the RC.
2016-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules