Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery damaged - Cell Broken
3488 18 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

Kinda bummed out. Was flying yesterday and got a battery damaged error. Then I soon realized it was a cell broken error. First time ever getting this. Worst time to get this because next week I'm going up north for a vacation. So I'm stuck with 2 batteries . Contacted DJI and sent them pictures and screenshots. Even a screenshot of my receipt. Hopefully there is a happy ending to all this. What is DJI's turnaround now? Still slow?
Screenshot_20160730-040334.png
Screenshot_20160730-040340.png
2016-7-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The turnaround time has gotten a lot faster. To clarify, does the battery appear swollen or damaged? Have you tried to completely discharge the battery and recharge it? Based on your screenshots, your cells are within healthy range.
2016-7-30
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

I haven't tried discharging it completely. Battery is fine. No issues. Not swollen no damage at all. I'm very good with my things. I was flying and got that battery damage error and it scared me. I can't remember the last time I drained it completely. Could of been charge 27 or 26. When idle, the voltages look fine and balanced. What should I do? Drain it completely and allow the battery to shut off completely? I contacted DJI with the info needed for a replacement. Waiting for a response. I'll reupload the images again. Some odd reason it looks blurry for me on here.
Screenshot_20160730-040334.png
Screenshot_20160730-040340.png
2016-7-30
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

I assume on load the voltages values isn't correct. Should a complete discharge fix this? I'm scared putting it up in the air with this battery... Especially with a cell broken error.
2016-7-30
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-7-31 00:46
I haven't tried discharging it completely. Battery is fine. No issues. Not swollen no damage at all. ...

I have had this happen as  well,  do a discharge below 5% or even better is to let the battery just die while on the aircraft at Idle on the ground.  Then re- charge, this will hopefully solve it .  It did for mine anyway. ( Do this carefully , It is easy , just keep an eye on the aircraft until it  batterery dies )
I dd not like the idea of "Cell Broken " bering solvedd with a recharge, I think some of the wording gets lost in translation , it whould be more like "battery warning "  not broken.

So I agree it is a hard pill to swallow when you see cell broken, but there is a procedure to possibly fix it.  ( I dont make the rules, I just play by them Or in othere words , It is just the way it is )  

Keep a close eye on it for the first couple of flights

donnie
2016-7-31
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

I'll discharge it completely after reaching 3.3v on load. I land at 3.3v and wait for it to turn off. Hopefully this fixes it. Last time I did a deep cycle was charge 27 or 26. Now I'm at charge 40. Might need it.
2016-7-31
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I had this happen with a Phantom 3.
Drained and recharged and the problem vanished.

2016-7-31
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-7-31 21:00
I had this happen with a Phantom 3.
Drained and recharged and the problem vanished.

Drained it completely. Waited till I saw 3.3v and landed. Waited almost 10 mins for it to shut itself off while sitting idle. Going to charge it to 100% later tonight. Crosses fingers for it to work so I don't have to send it to DJI.
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-1 09:35
Drained it completely. Waited till I saw 3.3v and landed. Waited almost 10 mins for it to shut its ...

Please let us know if the issue persists. We want to ensure that you aren't needlessly grounded.
2016-7-31
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-1 10:14
Please let us know if the issue persists. We want to ensure that you aren't needlessly grounded.

I will for sure. I'll take a screen shot of the voltage values for each cell once I fully charge it later. DJI has sent me an email asking for my information so a printing label can be created. I'll see if draining it completely worked. If so, I'm happy I'll report back later.
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-1 10:26
I will for sure. I'll take a screen shot of the voltage values for each cell once I fully charge i ...

Definitely keep us posted.
2016-7-31
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Here is the update. To me, the voltages for each cell all look balanced. I assume the cell broken was sort of a false reading possibly? Not cell broken,  maybe cell unbalanced during load? I assume it needed a deep cycle. What do you think? The cells look fine and healthy?
Thank you
Screenshot_20160801-022823.png
Screenshot_20160801-023527.png

2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-1 15:01
Here is the update. To me, the voltages for each cell all look balanced. I assume the cell broken wa ...

Thank you for the update. Looking at your screenshots, you're good to go. I would concur with your unbalanced theory.

If you happen to run into that error again, try to take a screenshot of the battery voltage section. Any voltage variation past .25 - .5 volts would be concerning.
2016-8-1
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-1 03:01
Here is the update. To me, the voltages for each cell all look balanced. I assume the cell broken wa ...

The "Cell Damaged" is normally triggered by a cell that is sagging under load. Some times they will go grey also. Did you get this under hard acceleration or climbing? or just easy flying?
2016-8-2
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Rinzler Posted at 2016-8-2 08:44
The "Cell Damaged" is normally triggered by a cell that is sagging under load. Some times they wil ...

I was flying away from the home point full speed. All of a sudden a battery damaged error came up.
2016-8-2
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-8-2 17:16
I was flying away from the home point full speed. All of a sudden a battery damaged error came up. ...

You have a cell that is sagging then. Basically what happened is a cell went under the threshold of allowed difference of each cell. Normal lipo should be around .02-.03 of each other under load. I think it will throw a damaged cell if it goes over .05 or.06. Cant remember what one. Some people do not catch this because they look at the cell voltage while idle hovering or sitting on the ground and resting. To figure cell health you should look at the cell voltage while under load. Easy way to test is to open your battery information page on the Go app and then with the battery around 75% charged, do a full power climb out straight up for about 5 - 10 seconds. Watch the screen and look for a cell that is more then .04 of the others.. That would be the cell sagging and is indicating the cell is worn out.
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Should you run into that indication, please take a screenshot of the voltage section when the error occurs.
2016-8-3
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just had this happen to me a few days ago on my Inspire, the battery had only about 7 cycles on it. I ended up draining it down to 8% and recharged the next day and have flowed several times since without anymore issues. If you do this just don't fly too far and watch your cell voltages and see if it reoccurs.
2016-8-6
Use props
tickertapes
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just had this happen to me, on one battery today and three separate TB48 batteries today.

I have posted screenshots http://forum.dji.com/thread-64228-1-1.html
I too was flying away from home @ full throttle, maybe this is the cause, too much current????
2016-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules