Follow Me - Warning Weak GPS..... Uh... No....
1970 14 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello All,
  I've done a little research, and different people seem to have this issue.  When trying to use Follow Me with a "non cellular" ipad mini 4, I immediately get a "warning, weak GPS" message on my screen and it won't work.  I moved around to different areas and experienced the same.  I had excellent GPS with 18 satellites, the firmware and app are current, and the antennas are correct.  Now I know It's not interference related as I fired up a q500 4K and follow me executed perfectly in the same exact spot.  Different people seem to think that follow me needs data.  Is this true?  Can someone shed some light on it?  If so, I can always throw my cellphone into hot spot mode so that the ipad mini 4 can have data.

Thanks
Gabe
2016-7-30
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You need GPS data for "follow me" to work good with the iPad, Mini wifi does not have a GPS module only cellular version does. There is a GPS unit in the controller for the Inspire but it is not strong and you need to point the front of the controller (where the GPS is located) toward the sky. Best result with cellular version of the iPad.
2016-7-30
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Doh...... does turning on a hotspot even help at that point?
2016-7-30
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hotspot only allows you to access data not GPS signal, so sorry but don't think that will work. There is however other external GPS modules you can add to a wifi iPad but not sure how good it works.
2016-7-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I concur with Cougar, you need to have a cellular data mobile device as it would have a built in GPS module.
2016-7-30
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I suppose it isn't a hug deal, as I do have an iphone 6s plus I can swap in.  However, it may be important to note that none of the documentation for the product shows that you need it for the feature to work.
2016-7-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-7-30 16:06
You need GPS data for "follow me" to work good with the iPad, Mini wifi does not have a GPS module o ...

I bought the new ipad mini 4 with cell / wi-fi. Based on Bestbuy comments to me at the time, you do not need to have cell service for the GPS to work on the ipad. The GPS module will work regardless.
PS I have the ipad mini 2 for the slave and it does not have GPS
Rich
2016-7-30
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

If your tablet has no GPS,  Bluetooth GPS Output app (Android) https://play.google.com/store/ap ... box.btgps&hl=en can send the GPS data from you phone to your tablet. Works a treat. Not sure if Apple do something similar?
Failing that, one of these, XGPS150A GPS Receiver .http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
2016-7-31
Use props
markuseckardt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 304370 ft
Germany

Hi, I'm from Germany and I have the same problem. Had the Remote Control GPS or not
2016-8-1
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

markuseckardt@g Posted at 2016-8-1 11:47
Hi, I'm from Germany and I have the same problem. Had the Remote Control GPS or not

The Inspire's remote does have the GPS but it is not strong and will not work for "Follow mode". You need to have a mobile device with strong GPS for this to work.
2016-8-1
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I've done a little more research and different people have had success adding either of these two external Bluetooth GPS adapters (bad elf is a third option but too pricey).  Can anyone contest as to which one works best with IPad Mini 4?  Some people have reported Go App slowdown with the Garmin.  I definitely don't want slowdown as I'm already struggling with intermittent screen flicker.

Garmin Glo
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/glo-/prod109827.html

Dual
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
2016-8-2
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-2 14:39
I've done a little more research and different people have had success adding either of these two ex ...

I did look at those before deciding on going with iPad Mini 4 with cellular instead, when I replaced my Mini 2.
Whatever you decide, make sure the GPS receiver you go with has booth the regular GPS as well as the Glonass (Russian sats) they are monitored on the cell version of the Mini4 and has much better coverage.
2016-8-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-8-2 12:03
I did look at those before deciding on going with iPad Mini 4 with cellular instead, when I replac ...

Hi Cougar,
   I know the garmin glo has it, but the dual does not.  However, the garmin has caused some slowdown for some.
2016-8-3
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-3 20:11
Hi Cougar,
   I know the garmin glo has it, but the dual does not.  However, the garmin has caused ...

GabeZ, in my view it would be a waste of money to try with anything that does not include booth systems.
2016-8-4
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-8-4 06:08
GabeZ, in my view it would be a waste of money to try with anything that does not include booth sy ...

I would agree, except that this ipad is only a few weeks old and brand new. I have to make it work as is.
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules