Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Did I receive a USED Phantom 3 Adv from Amazon?
1398 16 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mike_71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277057 ft
United States

Hi, I am a little concerned about the Phantom 3 advanced I just received from Amazon.  It was sold as a brand new unit (I paid $750) via Amazon prime.  The box appeared to be sealed when I cut the 2 seals to open it (although the box looked slightly damaged on the edges which I assumed was just from shipping).

When I opened the box I found that

A) The gimbal clamp was not attached and was sitting next to the camera/gimbal, this has me most concerned that the gimbal may have been damaged in shipping with the clamp not affixed and has me more concerned that it might work for the first flight but then die prematurely due to this.

B) 2 of the stickers for the motors were missing, one was found stuck to the accessory box.

C) Originally I thought it was missing 2 of the clear plastic locking things that go on the gimbal mount but this is maybe normal as it appears in pictures I have seen that maybe its only supposed to have the clear plastic locks in 2 corners and not all 4 corners?

D) 2 red plastic circle pieces were found laying in the bottom of the box which appear maybe are from the handle of the box (which has me concerned this could be related to someone being able to get the package open without breaking the 2 seals)

I am attaching photos which shows how things were received, I have done nothing at this point but remove it all from the box.

Thanks much for the help.  A little concerned considering this is such an expensive purchase.

Photo 1: Shows missing stickers from 2 corners on the motors.

Photo 2: Shows where I found one the of missing stickers

Shows the 2 plastic discs found at the bottom of the box (probably ok but possibly related to opening the box w/o breaking the seal?)

Shows the accessories, these look ok I think.

I took this picture because I thought the clear plastic piece was missing but perhaps not, including it just incase:

2016-7-30
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

A)   the gimbal clamps were known to not have been fully seated on many phantoms, mine wasn't either when I got it over a year ago and I haven't had a problem yet.

B)   Most likely from the box rolling around or being poorly handled.

C)   Its only supposed to come with 2, DJI gives you 2 extras in case one breaks. Ive heard putting all 4 in can cause more damage in the event of a crash or will cause the gimbal to be more rigid not allowing for smooth video.

d)  Suspect box rolled around a lot as well.

My best suggestion would be to fully test everything for as many batteries as you have, start it up let it sit on the ground with motors running for a few mins with props on and with out them. When off rev up the motors and see if anything sounds different from the rest of them.

Take off and bring it up to only a few feet and let it sit for a few mins. If all seems well then the packaging did its job and the aircraft is ok, if anything seems out of the ordinary then have Amazon replace it if its still in the timeframe to do so.

Good luck and enjoy flying....... READ READ READ READ the manual several times over------Don't do a CSC in the air------holding left stick down all the way while descending won't stop the motors due to it knowing that its still dropping altitude------calibrate EVERYTHING after every FW update------dont re calibrate compass unless numbers are not between 1400-1600 or you travel a large distance-----first flight go find a sports field or some large open area so that you don't have to worry about tree branches.
2016-7-30
Use props
mike_71
lvl.1
United States

Thank you very much for your quick response.  I guess the box taking a big beating before it arrived to me combined with perhaps some issues packaging it at the factory might explain all this.  

I plan on reading as much as i can before flying it, now that I am feeling more certain I didnt receive a used unit I will start doing all the firmware updates and calibrations, etc.  

One thing, what is a CSC in the air?  Not familiar with that acronym.

Also you say dont recalibrate the compass unless the numbers are off, but I believe in the quick start guide I read that I should be calibrating the compass every time I fly?

Thanks again.

2016-7-30
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.4

United States

Also was it "Sold by Amazon"? or was it "Fulfilled by Amazon"
Had an issue a few weeks ago. Bought a water slide off Amazon. Box came with half of the parts missing. Seller was NOT Amazon. IT was filled by stock they (seller) has in the fulfillment center.
Amazon has no way of knowing if the stuff inside the box even exists. Although Amazon WILL refund your money either way.
2016-7-30
Use props
Hotolds442
lvl.4
Flight distance : 244751 ft
United States

It looks to me that the only thing that's obvious is that it had some issues between the factory and your house. A lot of things can happen during shipping. If you're concerned that the aircraft may be used, you'll know that as soon as you go to activate it through the DJI GO app. It appears to be new, but treated rough at some point during transit. I don't see anything to worry about with it. The 2 pins attaching the gimbal to the aircraft are normal. If there are no gimbal errors when you power up, you should be golden. Read the manual, put on some shoes, and go fly!
2016-7-30
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

mike_71@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-7-31 07:29
Thank you very much for your quick response.  I guess the box taking a big beating before it arrived ...

CSC is the command that you use to start the motors, you pull both sticks either down and in or down and out. If you do this in air  the aircraft will drop out of the sky like a rock and warranty will not cover it. Its the cause of most of the crashes on here but people won't admit that they did it whether on purpose or by accident.

People will argue to calibrate the compass every flight, others will say only do it if needed. I personally have only done it a few times when the numbers aren't in the above range.

Also make sure you FULLY know how the Return to home(RTH) works and that you have it set properly, once again the cause of most crashes bc the height wasn't set high enough and it hit a tree/building. DJI has made some good videos explaining exactly how it works. I would also suggest not getting in the habit of using it regularly bc you're lazy. I fly mine home my self, land it myself, and take off myself. I don't trust the auto take off and such even though it might work perfectly.

When you land DO NOT DO THE CSC it can cause the quad to tip over, the manual still says to do it this way, only hold down the left stick, once it knows its no longer moving after about 3 seconds the motors will stop.

Any other questions? Also where in the USA are you. If you're close me id be more than happy to meet up and teach you things in person.
2016-7-30
Use props
mike_71
lvl.1
United States

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-7-31 07:29
Also was it "Sold by Amazon"? or was it "Fulfilled by Amazon"
Had an issue a few weeks ago. Bought a ...

<quote>
Also was it "Sold by Amazon"? or was it "Fulfilled by Amazon"</quote>

Trying to figure out how to quote when I reply, hopefully my quote tags work...

It was not sold by amazon, it was fulfilled by amazon which I am always wary of, however I took the risk due to it being $40 cheaper than Amazon's price.  Knowing I was safe that Amazon would take it back helped in making that decision.
2016-7-30
Use props
mike_71
lvl.1
United States

Hotolds442 Posted at 2016-7-31 07:32
It looks to me that the only thing that's obvious is that it had some issues between the factory and ...

Thanks, I am going to give it a whirl, right now I am reading manuals, etc and then will do the firmware update and when it evntually stops raining here in Northern NJ I will take it out for the first flight!
2016-7-30
Use props
mike_71
lvl.1
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2016-7-31 07:50
CSC is the command that you use to start the motors, you pull both sticks either down and in or do ...

Thanks, yeah I actually saw a video of a crash on youtube and people in the comments said it was because the guy didnt set the RTH altitude high enough causing it to fly in to a tree on its way back.  I will make sure I set it very high, I guess really no reason not to set it as high as possible as I plan on not using it ever, the only time it would be used would be if I lose signal due to being too far away, etc.  

I will keep in the back of my mind about the CSC issue, I am some what familiar with the arming/disarming procedures from flying quadcopters.

I live in Northern NJ, near NYC.

That reminds me, is it true the DJI app will prevent me from flying in certain areas?  I dont plan on flying anywhere I shouldnt but I dont really like the idea that the app would restrict me based on my gps location.

Also, is there a way to remove the altitude limit?  I want to fly over an old abandoned ski resort near my parents house which will likely require me to go over 400 feet to make it to the top of the ski slope, i will be 400ft higher than when I took off byt not 400ft above ground level if that makes sense.

Thanks again.
2016-7-30
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

mike_71@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-7-31 08:16
Thanks, I am going to give it a whirl, right now I am reading manuals, etc and then will do the fi ...

Im just north of baltimore so too far from you, you think its raining up there its a freaking monsoon down here. Ive actually never seen it rain this hard for so long in my 30 yr life. Gf is up in oradel visiting her parents right now so I'm familiar with the area kinda.
2016-7-30
Use props
mike_71
lvl.1
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2016-7-31 08:24
Im just north of baltimore so too far from you, you think its raining up there its a freaking mons ...

We are getting the same storm here I think, started around 2pm, supposed to rain all weekend (weekend ruined!)  Sucks because all my hobbies require nice outdoor weather LOL.

2016-7-30
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

mike_71@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-7-31 08:29
We are getting the same storm here I think, started around 2pm, supposed to rain all weekend (week ...

Well then its a good time to use the simulator, I know its pretty rudimentary but it will allow you to play with the controls and maybe start learning how to set the POI, waypoints and the other special flights.

Also while in that same open field learn to fly in ATTI mode, putting the left top switch to the middle. This will turn off the GPS and compass and it will drift in the wind and won't auto brake like in P Mode. This is crucial to know that if something does goes wrong you can switch it over to this and fly it back home under your own control. Once again most crashes or "flyaways" are due to some sort of user error or strong interference(you shouldn't have been flying there in the first place then) Putting it in A mode will almost certainly allow you to get it back.

Also Also remember that if its windy ground level 200' up the winds could be 2-3 times stronger and you won't be able to fly home(I've almost lost mine this way) heart almost stopped. I know you will want to push yours and show off but trust me. Take it VERY VERY slow and learn everything you possibly can.
2016-7-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mike_71@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-7-31 10:29
We are getting the same storm here I think, started around 2pm, supposed to rain all weekend (week ...

Don't do a firmware update. It is the quickest way to end up with a bricked aircraft. You can tackle that later when you have plenty of time to tear your hair out.

Read the manual, go out and do a compass calibration in the middle of a field, well away from any metal or concrete, then try flying it small distances. don't fly a long way away, and don't use Return to Home to bring it back, get the hang of flying the aircraft yourself.

2016-7-30
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-31 09:00
Don't do a firmware update. It is the quickest way to end up with a bricked aircraft. You can tack ...

Oh the whole upgrade or not to upgrade debate..... Personally I've always done the upgrades and have never had an issue, I have a P3A btw, I think the biggest thing that you need to do to not have any issues is to do a level IMU recal, RC recal, gimbal recal, and compass recal. Ive always done all 4 of these right after every upgrade before flying and have never had an issue. So its a personal opinion.
2016-7-31
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2016-7-30 20:43
Well then its a good time to use the simulator, I know its pretty rudimentary but it will allow yo ...

On a P3S it's the top right switch that puts it in ATTI mode, is it different on the P2A ?
2016-7-31
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

mike_71@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-7-30 20:20
Thanks, yeah I actually saw a video of a crash on youtube and people in the comments said it was b ...

You can set the max altitude to 500m (1640 feet) in the settings.
2016-7-31
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-30 21:00
Don't do a firmware update. It is the quickest way to end up with a bricked aircraft. You can tack ...

I agree with waiting for a FW update till you fly it the way it was shipped to you. Or you won't know if something is not right what caused it. The new FW, or it was damaged in shipment.
2016-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules