X5 Shake? Jello? ND Filter issue? Help!!
1790 18 2016-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

I am back from a trip to an island filming locations, and I noticed some  of my footage has odd shaking. I have not ran across this type of issue  before.

Some background:

Inspire 1 PRO
X5
DJI MFT 15mm
ND Filter 16 (Polar Pro)
Lens hood on
Aper 8
FPS 25 4K
Shutter 50
*San Disk Ultra Plus 64GB

I have uploaded a sample video of some of the footage. It looks like I  was panning up at around full speed ahead with the Inspire in the below  sample footage. The wind was normal for an island--nothing the Inspire  can't handle. I am noticing a large amount of shaking/possible jello? I  have a suspicion the ND filter is too heavy causing the lens to shake? I  do not suspect my micro sd is too slow. You will notice the panning at  the beginning and end is fine. I am moving the camera up which to me  looks like heaviness due to the ND?

I have other footage WITHOUT panning up that has shaking/jello. I am  flying at full speed in that footage also--it couldn't possibly be only  when panning up, right? I understand flying downward at full speed can  play tricks on the eyes--fast movement and not a focus point like a  horizon.

Any help is welcome--thank you.

2016-7-31
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I cannot see any jello. What I see are camera moves which are faster then the 30p maximum this camera can do. You will have the same effect with fast yaw movements as well. I recommend configure slower pan/yaw settings.
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I really do not see a jello effect either, though i do notice your horizon is a bit off. Have you done a gimbal calibration or adjust the roll axis lately?
2016-7-31
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-7-31 14:44
I cannot see any jello. What I see are camera moves which are faster then the 30p maximum this camer ...

Thank you for the help. I probably was too aggressive in my movements. Most of my shots were slower until the ones I presented.
2016-7-31
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-31 15:07
I really do not see a jello effect either, though i do notice your horizon is a bit off. Have you do ...

No--I usually fix it in post. I will do that when asap.
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-8-1 09:08
No--I usually fix it in post. I will do that when asap.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
2016-7-31
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

I think wagoudeau is talking about the apparent 'stuttering' of the footage while the camera is pitching upwards.  Its a rather jerky looking movement.  He describes it as 'jello' which might be causing some misunderstandings because normally that adjective is used to describe the effects of rolling shutter on CMOS sensors.  From my experience, this does not look like a rolling shutter artifact but rather some sort of mechanical / motor problem with the gimbal.

wagoudeau, Can this problem be replicated just leaving the Inspire stationary at altitude and repeating the same camera move?  Perhaps compare with the hood off?

2016-8-5
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

JasonA Posted at 2016-8-5 07:20
I think wagoudeau is talking about the apparent 'stuttering' of the footage while the camera is pitc ...

JasonA-- you nailed the issue. I have replicated the issue with all combinations (lens hood off, no ND, etc) and still have the same issues. I am thinking the motors might have some issues. I usually only fly at 24-25 FPS with 50 shutter. It is also highly possible my camera movements are too fast for that frame rate?

Hopefully DJI-Jamie will see this again.
2016-8-5
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-31 21:12
Please let me know if the issue persists.

Do I need to PM you?
2016-8-5
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

I am sending the camera off to DJI for replacement/repair.
2016-8-5
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

yep good call... The pitch rate was not unusually fast IMO.  It should have been a smooth shot, I do these frequently.  

hopefully its a chep/warranty fix
2016-8-5
Use props
DroneAlps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2043307 ft
  • >>>
France

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-8-5 17:57
I am sending the camera off to DJI for replacement/repair.

I would say this is a more local problem, with your rendering settings for example.
2016-8-5
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

DroneAlps Posted at 2016-8-5 11:21
I would say this is a more local problem, with your rendering settings for example.

I am not sure I understand?
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Unfortunately I'm unable to receive PMs. If you hit reply to a post, it will notify the person that it's been responded to. It's good to hear that you are getting the issue addressed. You will be up and running again in no time.
2016-8-5
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-8-5 09:35
I am not sure I understand?

I think DroneAlps is wondering if you re-rendered your footage out of a video editing application and that your 'rendering' settings might be producing the stuttering footage.  Have you edited this clip in any way, or is it the raw mp4 file off the memory card?
2016-8-5
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

JasonA Posted at 2016-8-5 12:45
I think DroneAlps is wondering if you re-rendered your footage out of a video editing application  ...

Ah, now I understand.

I did not re-render any of the files. The file I uploaded to vimeo was straight from the desktop from my X5.

Thank you for the help--I will let you all know the outcome when I receive my X5 back.
2016-8-7
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

I believe you're experiencing the failings of a low bitrate camera namely the x3 and x5..
2016-8-8
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

this is normal for an x3/x5?  yikes I hope not...
2016-8-10
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-8-8 23:16
I believe you're experiencing the failings of a low bitrate camera namely the x3 and x5..

You are correct. Although, the video I posted with my X5 has other issues such as vibration or shake. I own multiple Inspires, so this is an outlier..or possibly large set of units!
2016-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules