12Next >
3338 47 2016-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mroach68
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>

Finally received, installed and flew with the HDMI module.  Some very cool stuff.  Setup was an HP 25" monitor from my PC, iPad mini a small patio table and lawn chair.  Once I got started, i really didn't use the iPad but to change exposure so I could see.  Whole different flying experience.  Much, much easier to judge distance.  I could see power lines but I did have to be looking for them.  Fast motion seemed to blur but I didn't check the bandwidth settings so I could probably control that at short distances.  Had to turn off Overscan on the monitor to see the complete OSD data.  Highly recommend it.

Thinking about a set of Headplays now  - I hear pretty good things about them around here.  I have a couple of 250 racers so 1 goggle 2 platforms at half FatShark price.  Anyone using them?
2016-8-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha mroach,

Yes, very cool!  My HeadPlays are coming in Friday.  I already have the Dominator HD 2 and I am not happy with them since they are for the racing market and it is a stretch for Phantoms.  The HeadPlays on the other hand are for the Phantom market and a stretch for the racing market.  (Racers need to concentrate in the middle and broad fields of view are a recipe for crashes.)

BTW, get yourself those cheap parabolic antennae boosters (mine were $10).  They really get you a good signal.  I even upped my bandwidth to get a better image.  I am not that interested in flying far.  What I want is to see really good.

The only "situation" I anticipate is you have to set up for flight and then put on the goggles.  But still, the flight should be much more immersive.  I think it would be interesting to try my friends nVidia Shield with HDMI output into the HeadPlays and use the RC HDMI to feed my 15.6 inch GeChic monitor.  The nVidia HDMI provides 16:9 output and the RC HDMI is 4:3.  The HeadPlays can use each one and so can the GeChic monitor.  The nVidia feed is the whole screen, not just an OSD.  It is in wide screen and though you may not be able to see your hand and fingers make changes, you are more aware of the feedback of the whole screen.  You might eventually get good enough that you can make changes with the goggles on.

Yes, very cool indeed!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-3 16:11
Aloha mroach,

Yes, very cool!  My HeadPlays are coming in Friday.  I already have the Dominato ...

Just ordered my HeadPlay.  Can't wait until Friday!
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-3 16:11
Aloha mroach,

Yes, very cool!  My HeadPlays are coming in Friday.  I already have the Dominato ...

Be sure to post your results, I'm still itching to get them
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2016-8-4 04:12

Let us know what you think of them
2016-8-3
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

you guys wont be disappointed at all with HEADPLAY I had to get other lenses with mine from Germany but after they were awesome, I would not go out without them.
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tiansimpson Posted at 2016-8-4 04:33
you guys wont be disappointed at all with HEADPLAY I had to get other lenses with mine from Germany  ...

I'm even closer to ordering
Thanks for posting.
2016-8-3
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-4 04:48
I'm even closer to ordering
Thanks for posting.

Ken if you need any info on the German lenses let me know.
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tiansimpson Posted at 2016-8-4 05:38
Ken if you need any info on the German lenses let me know.

Thanks, I have glasses and may need info, thanks.
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2016-8-3 10:12

Aloha Roach,

Apparently, my HeadPlays cannot wait until Friday either - they will be in today (2 days early)!  And the weather is nice for flying!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-3 10:25

Aloha Ken,

Will do!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-3 10:25

Aloha Ken,

Kind of off subject (but still DJI).  My Forum points give two readouts and the permanent one is the lower figure.  This has been going on for almost a week.  Any ideas?  The higher one can be as much as a dozen or so points.  I think the higher one is the accurate figure since I stayed at the lower figure after a number of posts.  Weird.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Thats Nice i also Have FatShark Headset and its awesome some time feel i am in the sky and flying hehehhhe
Did some one tried that  ?
https://www.avegant.com/
2016-8-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>

SajidShah Posted at 2016-8-4 07:55
Thats Nice i also Have FatShark Headset and its awesome some time feel i am in the sky and flying he ...

I was looking at the Fat Shark HD.  Been looking at them for a couple of months.  So you have both HeadPlay and FatShark HD?
2016-8-3
Use props
vipersl65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-3 01:11
Aloha mroach,

Look at how even his friends or coworker in the background are laughing at someone wearing it.  Imagine you wearing this in a park or public place.  LOL

Geekiness = level 999
I want to remain a virgin for life = level 999
Dignity and self-respect level = level -9999999
2016-8-3
Use props
vipersl65
lvl.2
United States

vipersl65 Posted at 2016-8-3 18:44
Look at how even his friends or coworker in the background are laughing at someone wearing it.   ...

http://www.getfpv.com/catalog/product/gallery/image/9141/id/1884/
2016-8-3
Use props
vipersl65
lvl.2
United States

SajidShah Posted at 2016-8-3 16:55
Thats Nice i also Have FatShark Headset and its awesome some time feel i am in the sky and flying he ...

OMG....LOL....pretty sure this is cool but imagine how ridiculous wearing this outdoor?  I think this kind of gear should remain in the vicinity of your backyard at the most.  I'll settle for my iphone or ipad as the monitor anytime--even if this is given to me for free.
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

vipersl65 Posted at 2016-8-3 15:44
Look at how even his friends or coworker in the background are laughing at someone wearing it.   ...

Aloha viper,

See the banner behind him?  Its for Lumenier the premier quad racing company.  He is racing a quad and he is doing it with an early version of the HeadPlay.  That research revealed that HeadPlay goggles do not work well for racing quads.  The field of view is way too wide.  However, for flying camera drones, they are supposed to work very well.  My HeadPlay goggles just arrived - and with the rain!  All day it was nice flying weather until the goggles arrived.  But, I still have time, it is only 4:30.

Now, I do have FatShark Dominator HD 2s and they are terrible for flying Phantoms, but I can easily understand how racers like them and would not be fond of wide field of view goggles like HeadPlay.  My HD 2s cost twice what I payed for my HeadPlay goggles but I would sell my HD 2s in a heartbeat.

So, I would place no stock in the behavior of people who have no idea what is going on other than what they already know.  But, you got to do the research and sometimes that involves people laughing at you.  But, then there is always who gets the last laugh.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

vipersl65 Posted at 2016-8-3 15:47
OMG....LOL....pretty sure this is cool but imagine how ridiculous wearing this outdoor?  I think t ...

Aloha viper,

Ridiculous is only in the beginning.  Now imagine a gathering of Phantom fliers, all wearing appropriate wide field of view goggles like the HeadPlay goggles.  They all know that the HeadPlay goggles are half the price of the FatShark goggles and have the appropriate field of view and resolution needed for flying Phantoms.  Now some poor flier shows up with FatShark goggles because that was all he could get to fly that day.  FatShark goggles have terrible resolutions and way too narrow field of views.  The FatShark guy is now the flier out of place because FatShark goggles are terrible for flying Phantoms.  That is a glimpse of the future, maybe six months out.  If there is any laughing, who would be getting laughed at?

I doubt it would be the Phantom operators because they tend to be supportive in developing the new technology.  When the racing quad fliers laugh, is it because they are so competitive?  You have big goggles and you want to see if they give you the edge, the quad racers laugh at you because they fear that the big goggles might give you an edge.  Imagine if they do give you the edge in racing, then to be competitive you have to get those big goggles and stand out like the tester doing research.  I would laugh if I was in their shoes to, but that is because all the winners might end up wearing those big goggles and to win, I might have to get a pair of those goggles.  Hmm, it would make for an interesting memory.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2016-8-3 13:59
I was looking at the Fat Shark HD.  Been looking at them for a couple of months.  So you have both ...

Aloha Roach,

My HeadPlay goggles just arrived - and with it the rain!  Ack!  All day was nice for flying, but that is what keeps this place so green.

So now I have FatShark HD 2s and HeadPlay goggles.  At least there may be a break later after I get the HeadPlay goggles set up.  Battery is a charging, soon I will be a charging!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-3 11:40
Thanks, I have glasses and may need info, thanks.

Aloha Ken,

Would you believe the HeadPlay goggles have the foam inserts divided so that you can wear glasses inside the goggles.  When I first put them on, the resolution was terrible, then I realized I could not see straight!  I needed a prescription like Ian was talking about.  But, I looked quickly around the house for a spare set of strong reading glasses and put them to service and they worked great!  Well, not really great but close to great.  The only problem was the glasses were narrow enough to cut off some of the OSD at the bottom.  I have since found two other pairs of glasses with similar prescription to allow full view and they have turned out to be more narrow than the first ones so they fit inside easier than the first ones.  And the goggles go on and off very easy and in my case hold the glasses in the process.  Nothing uncomfortable about it at all.  (I was worried about that.)

Whether you are near-sited or far-sited your glasses should fit inside the goggles.  If the prescription is not quite right, you can buy lenses for the adjustment.  In this case, it is very helpful to have an Optometrist for a friend!

For near-sited people, it may not even be necessary to wear glasses since the screen is so near.  If you still do need lens assistance, you can visit an optometrist with the HeadPlay goggles and they can help you get the glasses right.  They just have to determine your lens strength and then put them in a small set of frames.  Try on the goggles and look at an HDMI display on a laptop or tablet.  You do not have to take your Phantom with you.

If you are far-sited, you can go to the reading glasses section of a drug store.  Either buy a set that you know works already or if you are like me and have two real different eyes, buy two sets of glasses with a different prescription for each eye.  Then take out the appropriate lens from one set of glasses and replace that lens in the pair you plan to use.  Most of the lenses are plastic and light.  If the frame gets damaged, you have a back-up set of frames.

Between the goggles, the glasses working, fast approaching darkness and the intermittent drizzling, it was an exciting evening!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

vipersl65 Posted at 2016-8-4 09:47
OMG....LOL....pretty sure this is cool but imagine how ridiculous wearing this outdoor?  I think t ...

Heck Viper, I'm almost 50 and no longer care how geeky I look.  I'm a geek, what can I say?  Yeah, they look a little silly but once I put them on I'm sure I won't care.  
2016-8-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Heck Viper, I'm almost 50 and no longer care how geeky I look.  I'm a geek, what can I say?  Yeah, they look a little silly but once I put them on I'm sure I won't care.  
2016-8-4
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

hehehe nop bro its look cool ... casue VR Give us Total Control On Image .. and Ideal Video
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-4 13:55
Aloha Ken,

Would you believe the HeadPlay goggles have the foam inserts divided so that you  ...

Very nice, I wear progressives but I only wear them a few times a week.
We'll see, thanks again.
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-4 07:38
Aloha Ken,

Kind of off subject (but still DJI).  My Forum points give two readouts and the p ...

I'm sorry, it Maybe a server thing, if it still is inaccurate after another week let me know and I'll inquire about it.
2016-8-4
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Even though we are "supposed" to be LOS with these, goggles will be tempting indeed.  I use the original version Skyzone goggles with adjustable IPD when FPVing micro quads that fit in your hand and click along fairly quick.  Nice wide view.

Is anyone using SZ's when flying their phantom?  The only problem with FPV on a gimbal is you really don't know what pitch or attitude your machine is at since it's still a nice calm level view from the gimbal.

Not a big deal though if you are flying fairly calm and smooth or just pick some fly-to points.  Compared to the dim phones and tablets, goggles or the larger shaded monitor will give a much better view or at least you will be able to see what the camera sees without glare and background images.  HD has to be even better yet.
2016-8-4
Use props
vipersl65
lvl.2
United States

SajidShah Posted at 2016-8-4 06:53
hehehe nop bro its look cool ... casue VR Give us Total Control On Image .. and Ideal Video

No doubt about the coolness of the gear itself.  How you look like from other ppl while you have it on your face is a totally different story
2016-8-4
Use props
vipersl65
lvl.2
United States

The Roach Posted at 2016-8-4 05:37
Heck Viper, I'm almost 50 and no longer care how geeky I look.  I'm a geek, what can I say?  Yeah, ...

well, in that case yes.. LOL...with the matching white daddy shoes and shirts tucked inside the shorts?  Right on
2016-8-4
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-4 04:21
I'm sorry, it Maybe a server thing, if it still is inaccurate after another week let me know and I ...

Aloha Ken,

In the last 12 hours, I have been upgraded to Second Officer and downgraded to Intern Pilot.  (And I am innocent - I never even saw the girl!  Honest!)

Apparently I am right at the cusp of promotion, so this is interesting.  My Remind column is interesting.  Mahalo in advance if you can do anything.  (Looks like I may be getting promoted again!  Yay for our team!)  Twelve points is an interesting separation.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-5 06:19
Aloha Ken,

In the last 12 hours, I have been upgraded to Second Officer and downgraded to In ...

Ok, let's see by the end of the weekend how you are.
2016-8-4
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-4 16:28
Ok, let's see by the end of the weekend how you are.

Mahalo Ken!
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

No problem at all, have a great flying weekend.
2016-8-5
Use props
rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

I am curious about how the Headplay compares to Samsung Gear VR headset. It is about a quarter of the price. Is it really worth paying 4 times as much? Do you get that much more bang for the buck?
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

rapfife Posted at 2016-8-6 02:25
I am curious about how the Headplay compares to Samsung Gear VR headset. It is about a quarter of th ...

I had the Gear VR, you cannot use it with a Phantom. You would have to drill a home into the side and run the cable. And when you do that the picture you'll see is just a close up of the screen. And it will not work with the Standard as the it opens it's own program when the phone is plugged into the goggles.
2016-8-5
Use props
rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-6 03:39
I had the Gear VR, you cannot use it with a Phantom. You would have to drill a home into the side  ...

Ok, Thanks for the info.
2016-8-7
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>

So my HeadPlay arrived on Friday.  I was stoked and ready to try them out but alas, I was at work.  5:00pm came and out the door I went, rushed home, broke open the package and put them to use.  I was immediately disappointed!  My 48 year old eyes couldn't focus on the image.  I did a little research and found guys my age were having success with reading glass.  I already had a pair of 1.25s I used at work.  Ran back to the office and picked them up.  Also picked up a set of 2.0s and 3.0s on the way home, just in case.  

Long story short, the 3.0s did the trick and THE HEADPLAY IS INCREDIBLE!   Display is sharp, even around the edges.  Highly recommend them.  Now to fix the camera in my 250racer!  
2016-8-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2016-8-7 08:36
So my HeadPlay arrived on Friday.  I was stoked and ready to try them out but alas, I was at work.   ...

Aloha Roach,

That is hilarious - the same thing happened to me.  I tried them on and could not see because everything was blurry.  That initial disappointment is undeniable!  Cool the way the glasses temples fit right in the slot where the top foam pad meets the side pads.  I have a few reading glassed to choose from, so I compared the width of the lens sockets at the temple hinges.  First, I had wide, then I tried narrow and the goggles almost go on and off without taking off the glasses.  Now I am going to try the middle width ones to see if having the goggles hold on to the glasses frees up my hands for other tasks.  You never have enough hands when flying!

Great news!  

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-7
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-8 05:02
Aloha Roach,

That is hilarious - the same thing happened to me.  I tried them on and could n ...

Yup, that's what I do basically.  The arms on the glasses fit in between the side and top foam.  When I remove the headset, the glasses stay in place.  If I could find a set of the round John Lennon glasses with number 3 reader lenses, I think they would be perfect.  
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rapfife Posted at 2016-8-7 22:16
Ok, Thanks for the info.

No problem at all.
2016-8-8
Use props