3832 63 2016-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have an inspire 1 V1 and it constantly drifts slightly to the left when in forward flight. The drift is yaw not roll. I have done IMU, compass and remote stick calibrations but this has not helped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
2016-8-3
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

So in the logs on DJI GO you always have lines which go curved to the left instead of beeing straight?

Posting a picture would help here.
2016-8-3
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will try to do an extended straight line flight and post a pic. I'll have to work out how to get a screen shot from an ipad onto a pc.
2016-8-3
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Swap your Props from left to right,  It might have something to do with a warped prop , also in forward flight make sure you are not giving a tiny bit of rudder input with the power application .
Just to make sure, you have a bit of yaw ( rudder input ) that would be cured if there was a trim function correct ?  And you did the RC stick calibratrion as well ?

Try to fly a straight line once without touching the left Power / Yaw stick and see if it is still there.   If it goes away  then you know  you were giving a touch of rudder to it without realizing.  

donnie

2016-8-3
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-3 10:33
I will try to do an extended straight line flight and post a pic. I'll have to work out how to get a ...

For a screen shot on the I-pad

Simply have the desired screen and press the round button on the main screen and the power/sleep button at the same time.

This shot will be stored in pictures, then plug into PC and it should ask you if you want to view or download the pictures.  Pic the ones you want and download , then of course go to the forum and add picture from the icons at top and make your selection.

donnie
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I concur with Donnie in Post #4. Please check whether you are hitting the rudder (yaw) stick in error and try swapping out your propellers.
2016-8-3
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Have you altered your gains setting at all? I adjusted mine couple weeks ago and noticed a bit of creeping yaw, reset the gains and it disappeared. May be coincinence.
2016-8-3
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks folks. The weather is terrible here at present so I am unable to test but I will keep you updated. Thanks again.
2016-8-4
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-3 18:48
Swap your Props from left to right,  It might have something to do with a warped prop , also in forw ...

Hi Donnie. Yes I did the RC stick function also, along with IMU and compass. From my RC fixed wing and Helicopter experience, this is exactly the type of thing that would be corrected with transmitter trims.
I will test the other suggestions when the weather improves. Many thanks.   
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-4 16:41
Thanks folks. The weather is terrible here at present so I am unable to test but I will keep you upd ...

Please keep us posted at your earliest convenience.
2016-8-4
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys. I finally got a chance to do some testing today in calm conditions. I went prepared with spare props but they weren't necessary. The Inspire flew as straight as an arrow without changing anything. I did however get a compass error message after a few minutes and the  "ATTI MODE" verbal warning. This cleared itself within 10 seconds and all was well again.
2016-8-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-15 01:50
Hi Guys. I finally got a chance to do some testing today in calm conditions. I went prepared with sp ...

Have you performed a compass calibration lately? What kind of satellite strength are you getting? It's good to hear that the drift issue was only temporary.
2016-8-14
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did a compass calibration the last time I flew when I was having the drift issue. I always check the readings for the compass and IMU and they are fine. The satellite number usually shows around 17.
2016-8-15
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-15 07:10
I did a compass calibration the last time I flew when I was having the drift issue. I always check t ...

what versions of the FW are you on?
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-15 19:10
I did a compass calibration the last time I flew when I was having the drift issue. I always check t ...

Just to make sure, you haven't ran into those error messages since, or was that just your latest flight?
2016-8-15
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

After upgrading my Inspire 1 to the DJI X5R.  I am experiencing this issue also.  Looking at the map you can see it drift left in forward and backward flight.  I have swapped props and done multiple cold IMU and compass calibrations.  Here is a short video demonstrating it. Also running newest firmware and app.

I was pulling straight back on this flight.  

And a pic of the flight.  Reviewing the flight showing the sticks there is on rudder or yaw imput.
image1.png
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 07:42
After upgrading my Inspire 1 to the DJI X5R.  I am experiencing this issue also.  Looking at the map ...

Have you tried an RC calibration as well ?  
Love the pool and Scenery as well , just beautiful.  

Is the Inspire version 2 that you own with the X5R ?  The reason I ask is the Inspire 1 version 1  cant handle the weight of the Raw  camera.
Will it do this in Atti mode as well ?

donnie

2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 09:39
Have you tried an RC calibration as well ?  
Love the pool and Scenery as well , just beautiful.  

V1. And did Rc calibration. The X5R page clearly states that the inspire 1 and v2 are all compatable.
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 09:50
V1. And did Rc calibration. The X5R page clearly states that the inspire 1 and v2 are all compatabl ...

They may be compatible but the version 1 may strain a bit.  

Are you sure you are not adding just a little bit of yaw when moving the stick  forward or back ?

I could not view the video that would show stick inputs .
Also as Mark made  notes of in another post, did you change any of the Gains or Expo settings recently ?  did it just start doint this after the new camera install ?

Try it with ATTi mode once and see if any changes.

donnie

2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 11:09
They may be compatible but the version 1 may strain a bit.  

Are you sure you are not adding just  ...

Playing back the flights there is no yaw or rudder.  Im pretty certain this all started after updating to the Firmware v1.9.1.30.  I have downgraded and then reinstalled the Firmware v1.9.1.30 and still having the drift.  Just to be safe can you post a screen shot of all your gains and I will compare.  I just want to make sure on that if it is.
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 11:28
Playing back the flights there is no yaw or rudder.  Im pretty certain this all started after upda ...

My gains are all set to 100 for Pitch , Roll, Yaw, and Vertical .

My expo is at Throttle .35 Rudder at .25 and Yaw at .35

Check and make sure your yaw is not out of Whack on the exp , if over 50 it will be super sensitive at or near neutral .

When you downgraded did you test fly ?  or did you just re load the Latest version ?  You may wish to downgrade and test fly to be sure that this  may be the problem.

Also on the go app Gimbal Settings / Advanced  reset the settings and see if that helps , maybe the aircraft is yawing ever so slightly but the large Camera is making the move seem more drastic ( Guess )

donnie
2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 11:48
My gains are all set to 100 for Pitch , Roll, Yaw, and Vertical .

My expo is at Throttle .35 Rudd ...

My gains are spot on to yours.  My expo is all .35.  Where I like them.  I will downgrade again sometime this week and test fly it.  The camera I know makes it seem off. I can send it out and watch it actually go to the left and same coming back.  Not every time but a majority of the time it happens. (8 out of 10).
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 11:55
My gains are spot on to yours.  My expo is all .35.  Where I like them.  I will downgrade again so ...

Perhaps do another IMU calibration, make sure it is "Dead Nuts "  ( Technical Term ) Level, and do the Camera Calibration immmeditaly afterwards.  If the IMU is off by a little , you will get multiple error, also check all the settings on the IMU page and make sure they are in proper values before starting.  

Here is a page I found that covers a lot of this stuff, just awesome.  Lots of tips,  It is about DJI Phantoms but covers the Inspires as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10tozj ... ry%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

Awesome Resource.

donnie
2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 12:04
Perhaps do another IMU calibration, make sure it is "Dead Nuts "  ( Technical Term ) Level, and do  ...

Not being rude or sounding that way.  I have alot of experience in the UAV area I currently own all DJI products and even built several f350 f450 and f550.  Been flying rc helis for 15+ years.  Thats why this is so baffling.  At first I thought it was the camera drifting messing up the straight ahead and back shots.  Upon watching it closer and once nearly clipping a tree from the drift is where my concern started.  Ive done just about all I know.  The COLD imu is a must.  I use a level to make sure the craft is perfectly level.  Nothing around me no watch no phone or anything when I do the compass cali.  Thats why I cannot for the life of me get this under raps.  I was gonna do some test flights today but the weather has me grounded.  Even looking at the numbers of the imu and compass all look good before I lift off.
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 12:14
Not being rude or sounding that way.  I have alot of experience in the UAV area I currently own al ...

No worries mate, all good.  What if you changed the Remote control mode to a different configuration and tested it with the Yaw on the Left stick and rudder on the right stick. this might tell you whether the problem is perhaps coming from the RC transmitter .

Just an Idea.

donnie
2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 12:18
No worries mate, all good.  What if you changed the Remote control mode to a different configurati ...

I switched my master and slave out to eliminate that also

One thing real quick I did just do a flight pretty windy but it held pretty straight.  I did notice my compass readings during it dipping into the low 1401-1420's.  That was only thing that jumped out.
2016-8-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2016-8-16 12:31
I switched my master and slave out to eliminate that also

One thing real quick I did jus ...

Also remove the camera, ( when the winds die down ) and see if the drift goes away.

Great Minds think alike I guess !!

donnie
2016-8-16
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-16 12:36
Also remove the camera, ( when the winds die down ) and see if the drift goes away.

Great Minds t ...

Got in 2 quicks flights just a bit ago and seemed fine.  I did change the prop's  If I get home in time tomorrow I will switch them back and see what happens.
2016-8-16
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm on the latest firmware 1.9.1.30. I was on the previous app version 2.8.6 on ipad mini 4 cellular. App version 2.8.7 had not been released at that time. It was my last flight when I had the compass error and ATTI mode warning. This was a flight in calm conditions and I did not get the drift issue, just the compass error and the craft went into ATTI mode itself for a short time.  
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-17 19:43
I'm on the latest firmware 1.9.1.30. I was on the previous app version 2.8.6 on ipad mini 4 cellular ...

Has this ever happened again? What kind of area were you flying in? Have you done an IMU calibration recently?
2016-8-17
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-17 20:44
Has this ever happened again? What kind of area were you flying in? Have you done an IMU calibrati ...

I have done further testing and the drift issue is back. I tried changing the props but this did not help. I did I did a compass calibration and an IMU calibration but again this did not help. I did not get the compass error message and ATTI mode warning this time. I have attached a screenshot to show the curved route the aircraft takes. All sections of the flight apart from the very last part when landing were supposed to be straight flight routes until stopping and turning to a new direction. I have checked the transmitter inputs and the only input was forward stick. No roll or yaw input during the long sections. The flight doesnt look too bad on the map but when you are trying to get straight line video shots its not great! The flight was in a country field away from any power lines etc.

Flight route

Flight route
2016-8-18
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-18 13:43
I have done further testing and the drift issue is back. I tried changing the props but this did n ...

Try and remove the camera and  see if it goes away, the Camera may be acting as a Rudder.

At least you can eliminate another foil.

donnie
2016-8-18
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-18 13:43
I have done further testing and the drift issue is back. I tried changing the props but this did n ...

Your is behaving just like mine is.  I am further testing on mine to as you can see in the flight log I posted.  I havent been able to fly past couple of days.  As soon as the weather breaks Im going back out to just run straight lines and see what happens.
2016-8-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-19 02:43

What was the wind speed for that day?
2016-8-18
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-18 15:05

For me very little wind or none.  The video I showed above there was hardly any wind and you can see how much it drifted to the left.  Actually look at the trees and you can see there is no wind.
2016-8-18
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-18 21:05

The wind speed was 4 to 6 mph so nothing to be concerned about. I have been waiting for calm conditions to eliminate the effects of strong winds.  I understand that the camera could act as a rudder however the aircraft should easily be able to compensate for this in these conditions. It is interesting to note that the straightest line on the map is actually flying into what little wind there was which was from the South East that day!

2016-8-19
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-18 21:05

Dji-Jamie do you have any update please?
2016-8-24
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-24 03:30
Dji-Jamie do you have any update please?

I think one of the motors is slightly weak , therefore causing the subtle drifting.

You said this does it in Both GPS and Atti ( Manual ) mode correct ?

donnie
2016-8-24
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-24 13:18
I think one of the motors is slightly weak , therefore causing the subtle drifting.

You said this ...

Hi Donnie. The drifting is in GPS mode. In manual (ATTI) mode it will drift anyway with wind and air currents if not corrected by transmitter inputs and I wouldn't expect it not to. The aircraft used to fly straight when told to do so in GPS mode, ie only forward pitch inputs without any yaw or roll input but at present it does not. I see your thinking regarding a weak motor but I'm not convinced. All of the motors will be very slightly different as will all of the propellers and this is what the "brain" in the inspire should compensate for after getting information from the sensors. It seems to be able to compensate when a return to home is initiated as, if I remember correctly, it flies a perfectly straight line home. I am going to test this further along with a pre planned point to point waypoint route.     
2016-8-24
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-24 11:54
Hi Donnie. The drifting is in GPS mode. In manual (ATTI) mode it will drift anyway with wind and a ...

Best of luck trying to pin this one down, When you get it figured out , let me know- I am interested.

Good Luck

donnie
2016-8-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules