Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
LumeCube Phantom 3 drone kit
3395 31 2016-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I had only placed my Order online at  http://www.lumecube.com/164.html yesterday https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedex ... umbers=78373989XXXX
& somehow miraculously, the package containing my LumeCube Phantom 3 drone kit was already delivered to my door earlier this afternoon.
I am very impressed by the solid weight and build quality of these diminutive lighting  devices. And talk about bright. They give you a warning right in the top of the package.
When you open it, the Caution states very clearly Not to look directly into the LED. I only glanced at it from the side, man that was a mistake... Hehe
I was only temporarily blinded for a few minutes... Ha
They seem to be fully charged already, but I went ahead & placed mine on the charge cables and plugged them both into two free USB ports on the hp...

Going to be expecting a nice dark clear sky tonight, and so I will be looking forward to testing these out, first hand.
The free Pro iOS app that can control them via Bluetooth from my iPad Air2 is pretty awesome, & works great with the kit. I had to go through it s bit more to see its other features which I hadn't seen prior.
I want to check this control centre, for On/Off distance and dimming ability while flying, at a decent height, up in the air, away from the device.

RedHotPoker

2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice, I met those guys at NAB and wanted to get a set, looking forward to see what you think.
2016-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Oh, perhaps you met the founder? Designer Mornee Sherry...

He is Another "bright" thinker... ;-)

And very generous...

Hopefully the weather cooperates for me tonight... Dry sky, and low/no wind... Calm.

RedHotPoker

2016-8-4
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-5 06:37
Oh, perhaps you met the founder? Designer Mornee Sherry...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqoi6-LB3 ...

Poker awaiting your hot off the press early morning edition.1.Stability 2.Fight Time.3 effectiveness.
2016-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If the weather only stays nice, like it is right now, as I am charging a couple of flight batteries as I write this... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-5 10:37
If the weather only stays nice, like it is right now, as I am charging a couple of flight batteries  ...

We're waiting for your awesome review
2016-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, I had a very late night. But my feeling are as follows. Do I love these LumeCubes? Yeah, they are great. I believe I got my money's worth...
But I need to repeat this, Please don't shine these into anyone's eyes, especially your own. Haha I accidently blasted my eyes tonight, and had to curtail my flight plans for nearly a half hour.
I found that aiming one LED straight forward, and one pointed slightly down I could cover a much broader area. Even while flying, these LumeCubes get pretty hot. Be very careful when handling them.
It would be easy to accidently drop one, much like a hot potato. ;-) Now one thing I  like a lot, the increased distance that I could see my drones location even while it was not super high in the sky.
When using only the onboard LED diodes for orientation and error reporting, it needs to be fairly high, to see the coloured lights from any distance. With the LumeCubes, because they are so bright, you can be at nearly any elevation, and you can still see them clearly. Even at half power they glow so bright.
They feel quite stable, never noticed any stress or heard anything unsuual.
I never had a chance to fly full batteries, as there were so many patrolling and cruiseing officers nearly everywhere I visited.
Going back out tomorrow, for some full battery packs and see how all everything goes.  I would still recommend others get these little LED wonders.
They aren't cheap, but being so well designed and so precisely manufactured, & with an amazing customer service. Nearly Worth their weight in Gold... Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-8-5
Use props
charlieb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 67808 ft

They are really cool no doubt. I can't think of any reason to fly at night so it would be a waste of money for me.
2016-8-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Night flight is a fright... Hahaha not really. Because you can see the orientation LED diodes a long way off, up in the dark sky.
It's certainly a much different perspective than flying during broad daylight. And it's actually very calming, and much quieter.
No people around, less traffic, and aside from the pesty mosquitoes, relaxing in a different light... ;-)
I really enjoy flying my drone at dusk, & into the darkness. Then the federalise fly by in their chopper.  Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

This Lume Cube investment has been the best upgrade to my drone. Actually it's the only one too. Hahaha
Other than a cool 3D printed gimbal gaurd with my home phone number etched into the print. ;-)
Big thanks to @MTR-Aerial, for providing this extra protection for me. It was a cheap alternative, to repairing a broken gimbal or decapitated camera.

RedHotPoker
2016-8-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Well well well, while I am enjoying the live UFC tonight.  Chuckles

Even more so, I am looking forward to flying a couple of flight batteries in a bit.
Nice clear calm night. Blue sky... Really nice out. Perfectly fine, for my deeds, mission. ;-)
Gonna let them Lume Cubes shine brightly. Eh?
What more can a poor boy do? Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-8-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-5 17:28
Yeah, I had a very late night. But my feeling are as follows. Do I love these LumeCubes? Yeah, they  ...

Very nice, I may get a set.
2016-8-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hi @DJI-Ken.
Yes, these are the cat's meow. Hehe Ah eh,  I wonder if your brilliant design team @DJI would ever come up with a cool headlamp or other light system/accessory for these drones?
There are a lot of pilots who would likely benefit from a decently priced  alternative. These are relatively very high quality units, so therefor the related rich costs associated.
If and when you get yours, I promise that you will be pleased. They truly are awesome, in every little way. ;-)
The night darkness has been exposed... Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

What kind of effect does it have on the video?
2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Now, You can see what you are filming... Hahaha
Like shining a small bright flashlight in a darkened passageway... ;-)
See this article, and included photography...
http://petapixel.com/2016/04/07/photographer-lit-landscapes-night-using-leds-drones/
Nice eh. That tells you a partial explanation.

RedHotPoker

2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I had an interesting phone call, suggesting that I read this article...

RedHotPoker
image.png
2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Part one. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-7 12:09
Hi @DJI-Ken.
Yes, these are the cat's meow. Hehe Ah eh,  I wonder if your brilliant design team @DJI ...

Thanks, looking forward to getting some one day. I fly in an open area where no one would be disturbed and not high at all.
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-8-9 00:28
Now, You can see what you are filming... Hahaha
Like shining a small bright flashlight in a darkene ...

That's very cool, thanks for sharing that.
2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah fo' sure, Right on @DJI-Ken,  they're way more than what you can see online.
Just for fun, & adding to the mix of choices, letting you know or anyone else who's interested in LED know.
Yes, Thanks to the article I shared in post #15 above, we have found another unique lighting system for Your drones.
http://www.fiilex.com/products/AL250.php

The AL250, Fiilex's first aerial lighting solution, redefines lighting control by mounting to any drone with a minimum payload capacity of at least 0.6lbs (270g). The intensity of this compact fixture matches a 200-watt tungsten bulb while drawing only 30 watts of power making it one of our most efficient fixtures yet. The AL250 features special fresnel optics designed to leverage Fiilex's Dense Matrix technology. These optics focus the flicker-free beam, more than doubling its center lux. The unit is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which attaches directly to its housing, allowing the light to operate independently for a duration of 25 minutes. Expand your lighting capabilities in exciting new ways with the Fiilex AL250.

They are helping in keeping it light... Ha
It's good to have options, choices, a quality selection, to choose from. ;-)

RedHotPoker

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Very awesome lights!!! And those pictures are incredible, something you don't see every day.

Then I go on to read your post about the phone call. I hope it wasn't the cops that called you?

I live down the road so I heard about this incident. The scathing Journal article has scared and ticked off a lot of people, plus everyone else will put their spin on it as well.
Not a good situation for us drone owners in this province.
2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, no, my helpful caller was a concerned ex girlfriend. ;-). She understands I am not, much into watching or listening to news.
& knows where I often fly, in the quiet of the late eve, nestled quaintly between her place and mine. Sweet
You're just Down the long and winding road? Calgary, or Red Deer perhaps?

Too bad another reckless drone pilot has caused some more bad news, for all of the rest.
Sad case, particularly for me, as I love that colorfully lit part of the capital city to film at night.
No wonder slow passing UFO's sail past and around our little gem. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.3
Canada

Well I'm glad to hear it was just the ex.

Yes just down the road in Red Deer.

Ya it's too bad these things happen, as usual the few will make it difficult for the rest of us. But what else in new ...
Yes I agree the city is beautifully lite through out the year, making for some nice shots. But now everyone will be on the lookout for you, dialing 911 because they saw the drone guy attacking the Police Heli ...

Good thing we have a big province and few people
Take care my fellow pilot!
2016-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, we have a vast natural area, mega open spaces with plenty flat terrain, large parks, & beautiful River valley, to enjoy our drones up here.
As the capital slowly develops, out of the horse and buggy days, our city centre as begun its transformation, an actual metamorphosis. Ha
I still need to capture footage of that crazy looking new 105st bridge too. ;-)
If you are driving up North here, anytime in the near future, give us a shout, & we can go fly a couple of flight battery packs together. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.3
Canada

I get my car serviced in Edmonton so I just might take you up on that

As soon as the tourists thin out I plan to head west out to Crescent Falls (or Siffleur if my foot can handle the hike in) to take some video. I had a taste of taking some video at Lundbreck falls a couple weeks back and it was awesome! The only problem is that it was very windy and people around so I didn't get the footage I wanted. Looking at the video I was lucky I didn't crash, these black colored aggressive birds were really pissed with my Xcopter and kept flying directly at it. As it was so windy all my concentration was on keeping my bird flying so I didn't realize the severity of the bird attacks until I watched the video!

These smallish birds where so aggressive they would fly up to large Ravens on the ground and have beak fights with them while they stayed in the air!

2016-8-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I had one close call with a small avian friend, near my home last summer.  
Was doing a brief flight out front, after a firmware update, just to check everything over.
So am flying East bound, probaby not more than 50' off the terra firma.
Suddenly, without warning, I see this tiny black ball of feathers heading fast and furious directly towards my drone.
I was stunned into submission momentarily and couldn't react. But it flew right past me. It must have been more scared than
I was. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-8-9
Use props
Jefferey Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48465 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question,  I have seen or read about make sure you turnoff your blue tooth device when flying, I have a set of Lume cubes myself but have not used them yet
Do to our weather, so what I want to know having the blue tooth on and making changes with your phone program does it or will it effect the drone  at all ?
Thanks !
Jeff
2018-1-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jefferey Drone  Posted at 2018-1-6 06:17
Question,  I have seen or read about make sure you turnoff your blue tooth device when flying, I have a set of Lume cubes myself but have not used them yet
Do to our weather, so what I want to know having the blue tooth on and making changes with your phone program does it or will it effect the drone  at all ?
Thanks !

No it doesn't have any kind of negative affects on the drone.

They each run their own Bluetooth network.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-6
Use props
PeteHB
Second Officer

France

How far away can you link the lime cube with bluetooth?
2018-1-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PeteHB Posted at 2018-1-6 08:44
How far away can you link the lime cube with bluetooth?

Lume Cubes do have a limited Bluetooth connectivity distance, but I've never tested it, once they are turned on.

Losing that connectivity was to be addressed, once you return to a relative close distance,.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-6
Use props
PeteHB
Second Officer

France

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-6 08:51
Lume Cubes do have a limited Bluetooth connectivity distance, but I've never tested it, once they are turned on.

Losing that connectivity was to be addressed, once you return to a relative close distance,.

Thanks they look to be quite an interesting addition.
2018-1-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PeteHB Posted at 2018-1-6 09:30
Thanks they look to be quite an interesting addition.

I absolutely love mine and think everyone of us should have a better ability to improve our VLOS.
As well, increase decent lighting visibility for our photography.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules