Navigating by compass heading?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Does the DJI app show compass headings.  If so, where?  And if not, why not?

2016-8-5
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Trick question?
Don't know which bird you fly but that little arrow icon on the map you look at all the time (or should) is your heading.

2016-8-5
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-5 23:36
Trick question?
Don't know which bird you fly but that little arrow icon on the map you look at all  ...

No, not a trick question.  I'm fly both the Standard and the Pro.  Only been at it for a couple of months now.  But here is what I do.  I located interesting sites out on the desert in Google Earth or in my TOPO Map program.  Then I create a waypoint for that location and load it into my handheld GPS unit.  Among other things, I hunt for long forgotten aircraft crash sites.  Then I  go out in the field and select that particular waypoint.  I then select the "Go To" feature to determine the compass heading and distance to that point.  I use a hand held compass to determine which way to fly and then launch the drone.  Without a precise compass heading indicator on the App, I have to pick a point on the horizon and fly toward that to hold course.  That works as long as I can physically see the drone.  The little arrow icon helps, but sometimes I get off a bit.

I know there is a program that will allow me to create a flight plan, but I don't want to spend the money for that.  And, I already have hundreds of waypoints stored in my GPS unit, and may pick any one of them depending on where I may be at the time.

I understand that I may be doing this the hard way. So I'm asking the forum for advice.  I'll have to look again, but I don't think the icon shows individual degrees.
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

No it does not, and anyways with the DJI GO app you have to fly the mission first and same waypoints along the way.
2016-8-5
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-6 00:29
No it does not, and anyways with the DJI GO app you have to fly the mission first and same waypoints ...

That's what I thought.  But it sure would be nice if there was a Compass Rose with degrees on there somewhere.
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

djordan2 Posted at 2016-8-6 00:42
That's what I thought.  But it sure would be nice if there was a Compass Rose with degrees on ther ...

Maybe one day, the app has updates and new features are sometimes aded.
2016-8-5
Use props
Rondo
New
Flight distance : 20715 ft
Canada

Why not indeed?  The fact that you have to fly a course to record waypoints is also ridiculous.  Would I have to make a trip in my boat in order to plan my route?  NO!  Why do I for my drone?  
2018-1-22
Use props
Rondo
New
Flight distance : 20715 ft
Canada

Why not indeed?  The fact that you have to fly a course to record waypoints is also ridiculous.  Would I have to make a trip in my boat in order to plan my route?  NO!  Why do I for my drone?  
2018-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rondo Posted at 2018-1-22 14:51

No-one uses DJI GO for doing waypoint flights.
If you want to fly waypoints, there are other programs you should be using.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats a safety thing, making sure the flight path is clear, its their way of thinking i believe....
2018-1-22
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Djordan2 do you have an iPad? You could use GroundStation Pro on it to plan waypoint missions. It is free and it is officially from DJI. There are in-app purchases, but the waypoint feature is already built in.

Fox
2018-1-22
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-1-22 23:29
Djordan2 do you have an iPad? You could use GroundStation Pro on it to plan waypoint missions. It is free and it is officially from DJI. There are in-app purchases, but the waypoint feature is already built in.

Fox

Sorry, just saw this reply.  I am using an Android Tablet  (Samsung Tab).
2018-3-14
Use props
Loki007420
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128832 ft
United States

imo having a compass will allow for easier flights beyond VLOS so my guess is they won't put it in..
2018-3-14
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2016-8-5 08:42
That's what I thought.  But it sure would be nice if there was a Compass Rose with degrees on there somewhere.

There's a place in the welcome screen on the Go 4 app to make suggestions for improvements. Give that a try. It would be of use to many.

Jeff
2018-3-14
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

For me it would be useful  even if the drone is only 100 feet away.  I have discovered that I can get a better view of the tablet is I put my coat over my head and tablet at the same time.  It completely blocks the sun.  So I am basically out of line of sight  immediately after takeoff.  I use this method when out in the open desert flying in a search pattern.  That's what I use the drone for.  I search for anomalies to go investigate.  Sometimes I find interesting looking areas on Google Earth, and then send the drone out to see what they are.  It saves a lot of walking for these old legs.  There is nothing worst for me than to hike out a half mile in rough rocky terrain to investigate a light spot on Google Earth, and then once there only to find that it is a natural rock formation.
2018-3-14
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

I would think that the easiest way to simplify your "searches" would be to throw around 20 bucks at the purchase of Litchi software. I use it regularly and really appreciate the ease with which you can plan a flight using the online Mission Hub software. A highly accurate flight can be quickly programmed and then "flown" on Google Earth Pro to verify the exact flight path and altitude settings etc. .....All without even powering up the drone  !

Give it a try...simple but very powerful tool for your type of accurate positional searching.
Cheers
2018-3-14
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Damn.  Spacetrakker beat me to it.  As I was reading all the original comments, I wondered why nobody had suggested getting the Litchi app.  
2018-3-14
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Spacetrakker Posted at 2018-3-14 15:29
I would think that the easiest way to simplify your "searches" would be to throw around 20 bucks at the purchase of Litchi software. I use it regularly and really appreciate the ease with which you can plan a flight using the online Mission Hub software. A highly accurate flight can be quickly programmed and then "flown" on Google Earth Pro to verify the exact flight path and altitude settings etc. .....All without even powering up the drone  !

Give it a try...simple but very powerful tool for your type of accurate positional searching.

You know, I just might look into that!
2018-3-14
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2018-3-14 19:02
You know, I just might look into that!

I forgot to add that I believe in Litchi you can set a parameter to display co ordinates as you fly.

I haven't used this feature  but I believe it's all there.
Cheers
2018-3-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2018-3-14 10:40
For me it would be useful  even if the drone is only 100 feet away.  I have discovered that I can get a better view of the tablet is I put my coat over my head and tablet at the same time.  It completely blocks the sun.  So I am basically out of line of sight  immediately after takeoff.  I use this method when out in the open desert flying in a search pattern.  That's what I use the drone for.  I search for anomalies to go investigate.  Sometimes I find interesting looking areas on Google Earth, and then send the drone out to see what they are.  It saves a lot of walking for these old legs.  There is nothing worst for me than to hike out a half mile in rough rocky terrain to investigate a light spot on Google Earth, and then once there only to find that it is a natural rock formation.

Are you using the radar display?
It should give the function you are looking for without the confusion of extra numbers.
2018-3-14
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

flew Litchi today and shows coords as it goes along. Suggest you take the jump and purchase.
2018-3-15
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-14 20:11
Are you using the radar display?
It should give the function you are looking for without the confusion of extra numbers.

Yes, I use the radar display.  I use a combination of features to keep on course.  I have a hand-held GPS unit that will give me the bearing to the object or waypoint.  Then I use a hand held compass to start the drone in the correct direction by reference to the Radar display and a prominent terrain feature in the distance.   I may have multiple waypoints to check out on each outing.  At other times I'll spot something of interest on a far off hillside with my Binoculars.  I'll get a compass bearing and then send the drone out to investigate.  I made a YouTube video of what I do if anyone would care to view it.  In the video I used a compass, a hand-held GPS unit and the drone to find an old World War II Tank half buried in the desert about 1 miles away.

My current project is flyng a search pattern looking for an old ejected airplane canopy that I came across some years ago out in the open desert. I will fly out about 2,000 feet in one direction, then turn 90 Degrees to the right and go about 50 or so yards.  Then turn right again and come back to the staring point.  The Radar display helps to make the turns, but I think a compass reading would be better.
2018-3-15
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-3-15 03:23
flew Litchi today and shows coords as it goes along. Suggest you take the jump and purchase.

Tell me how you use Litchi.  How do you set the waypoints in the program?  What do you use to set them?  Would it be easy to do when a new program is needed when out in the field?  If I saw something on a far off hillside that I wanted to go have a look at.  How would Litlchi help me in that case?
2018-3-15
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dj probably best way is to use YouTube and check out vids there. At least three ways to plot:- direct on litchi map (& can be done in field as well), on litchi website & in Google Earth.  Some of longer term users may have found additional ways as well.
2018-3-15
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJ plenty of threads on Litchi in forum; trouble is trying to find them Have a look at https://forum.dji.com/thread-139750-1-1.html

Also believe Dirty Bird. He's been flogging his litchi programme mercilessly for some time now & has posted some great videos.
2018-3-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have heard that litchi carries on the mission even if the RC disconnects (does not initiate RTH) is this true?
2018-3-15
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-15 21:19
I have heard that litchi carries on the mission even if the RC disconnects (does not initiate RTH) is this true?

I believe Litchi will finish flying the mission unless it sees low battery when I believe it can do RTH. At least that's what I've asuumed up to now, but I stay within range in my missions.

I'm sure someone will correcy if I am wrong !
2018-3-16
Use props
Mountain Man 4u
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77238 ft
United States

Loki007420 Posted at 2018-3-14 07:37
imo having a compass will allow for easier flights beyond VLOS so my guess is they won't put it in..

I fly an MA2. I’m in real estate. Having a compass while you are standing in one place does not work when your craft is flying from one point to another. This is why a heading for the craft is needed. If you’re a pilot or captain on a boat, you need heading from your vehicle to know how to get to next point. not directions from the person standing on the shore. ATC uses radar to locate aircraft and give heading from the aircraft location. Heading would be extremely useful for anyone that can read a compass.
2021-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules