Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sport Mode flying tonight, any precautions I should take?
1329 10 2016-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
techmyjustin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Hi all, I will be filming some waterskiers tonight at a private pond, and I will be flying in Sport mode for a lot of the time just to keep up with the boat going @35 MPH.  I'll take some other angles too, like some passes that won't require the high speeds.  I'll keep in mind to angle the camera down far enough that the props aren't getting in the frame from higher speeds, higher tilt.

Should I be aware of any overheating issues?  I plan to use my 3 batteries, can Sport mode flying cause the drone to get too hot, that damage may occur or a system could fail?

Should I let the body cool down in between batteries, does it matter?

Thanks for any ideas, I'm just trying to prepare and I would really like my Phantom 4 to not have any problems and fall in the water
2016-8-5
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

I do not think flying at night is a good idea in general, but,

the P4 will not get as hot since you are not going to be flying under the hot sun,
flying at about 30 - 35 MPH does not get my P4 any hotter, I actually think it is the optimal speed for max efficiency.
My P4 gets hotter when I am hovering and it is windy, since it has to maintain GPS lock.
2016-8-5
Use props
techmyjustin
Second Officer
United States

Sorry, I meant this evening before sunset, not in the dark
2016-8-5
Use props
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

You may want to adjust the sensitivity of your controls.  Sport mode makes everything go faster so make sure you have the amount of control you need before the shoot.
2016-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Don't forget to switch to S lol, if it's your first time wide open spaces switch to P when landing, enjoy
2016-8-5
Use props
techmyjustin
Second Officer
United States

voripteth@gmail Posted at 2016-8-6 01:07
You may want to adjust the sensitivity of your controls.  Sport mode makes everything go faster so m ...

Great advice.  I have noticed that everything reacts much faster in Sport Mode, and I didn't realize I can tone it down a bit.  I like the slower reactions and adjustments, they are better to make the footage more watchable.
2016-8-5
Use props
smstagar15
lvl.3

United States

Obviously....You know obstacle avoidance doesn't work at night so be careful...
Small or tiny even inputs make huge steering changes on sport...kinda hard to fly
The last time I did it I have either a max speed warning or a motor overspeed warning pop up...I can't remember which one it was but I immediately went back to "P"! It was quick enough If I was ready for it I don't think I would of had time to screen shot it
2016-8-5
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you stay close to a bathroom because you are going to make da poopy.  (just kidding, always on the hunt for a good reason to say Poopy).

I don't like shooting in Sport mode.  It kinda stinks really.  The controls are way too snappy, the bird leans too far forward so the props are easy to get in the shot.  It is for exactly what its named... "Sport Mode".  As a comparison, I'd love it if the Program mode could be renamed to "Cinema Mode".  :-)
2016-8-5
Use props
techmyjustin
Second Officer
United States

Yeah I'm planning on the props being in the footage sometimes, I might just have to crop off some of the top of the frame in editing.

I'm not in front of the controller, nor do I have the DJI Go app handy with me right now, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the controls in Sport Mode?  Similar to adjusting the Gimbal speed?
2016-8-5
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

techmyjustin Posted at 2016-8-5 22:23
Yeah I'm planning on the props being in the footage sometimes, I might just have to crop off some of ...

you could always fly in front of the boat with the camera pointing 'backwards', then there will be no chance of catching props in footage.
2016-8-5
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

techmyjustin Posted at 2016-8-5 22:23
Yeah I'm planning on the props being in the footage sometimes, I might just have to crop off some of ...

"I'm not in front of the controller, nor do I have the DJI Go app handy with me right now, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the controls in Sport Mode?  Similar to adjusting the Gimbal speed?"

The short answer is yes, have a look HERE (look at post no' 46 for details) for gimbal adjustments, and you should be able to sus out the controls from there as well.
2016-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules