invalid sd card yes again
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sgriffi81
lvl.1
United States

I know this subject is out there cause i've been researching it.  The 32GB that came with my PS3 works fine but i've filled it up in flight and tried to upgrade...(plus i have other devices that need a micro card).   So i ordered a 32 and 64 GB Patriot SD (U1 class 10) card off amazon, good deal.  The sandisk that works is U1 HC-1

So my new patriot cards get "invalid SD card", they came formated to efat/fat32 but i tried to reformat anyway to no avail.  I can't believe i got two bad cards so what gives?????  Does dji have a list of approved cards or something i can reference?  any further thoughts?

2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, do you swap SD cards while the aircraft is on?
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It might be that they are not compatible. I have never heard of this brand to be honest. I would suggest sticking to Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, etc.
2016-8-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have never heard of the Patriot brand, and I would suspect they are poor in speed specs. You are better off sticking to the Sandisk Extreme series of cards, they are known to work.
2016-8-5
Use props
userfd5c62660a
New

Sweden

I have the same problem with sd cards. The original sd card in my Phantom 3 Standars is a Sandisk Ultra 8 GB Class 10 Card. I tested a card with 32 GB memory (the same brand and spec) but get the message "invalid sd card". It works fine in other devices eg my laptop. What to to?
2016-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

userfd5c62660a Posted at 2016-8-7 15:45
I have the same problem with sd cards. The original sd card in my Phantom 3 Standars is a Sandisk Ul ...

Show us a photo of your card...
2016-8-6
Use props
userfd5c62660a
New

Sweden

Here is a picture
image.png
2016-8-7
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-5 23:51
I have never heard of the Patriot brand, and I would suspect they are poor in speed specs. You are b ...

Patriot memory is a very good well respected brand in North America. That is if you got the genuine thing!

2016-8-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Sandisk Ultra is a borderline card, it works OK for 1080p, but anything higher in resolution can cause problems, as the write speed is only barely adequate. A better card is the Sandisk Extreme series.
2016-8-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-8 04:08
Patriot memory is a very good well respected brand in North America. That is if you got the genuin ...

Yes, but I suspect it is only re-badged memory from somewhere else. When you buy 'name' cards, like Sandisk and Panasonic, you are getting them from actual manufacturers.
2016-8-7
Use props
sgriffi81
lvl.1
United States

"Patriot memory is a very good well respected brand in North America. That is if you got the genuine thing!"

I ordered from amazon, not sure if thats a positive or negative.
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

sgriffi81 Posted at 2016-8-8 07:12
"atriot memory is a very good well respected brand in North America. That is if you got the genuine ...

I would say Amazon is better than eBay

There are free programs that supposedly tell you if your SD card is real or a clone.
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-7 16:19
Yes, but I suspect it is only re-badged memory from somewhere else. When you buy 'name' cards, lik ...

They did manufacture their own memory modules in the U.S.
But who knows at this point in time;  these days?
Can't see them being able to compete with the overseas brands, based on the high flying U.S. $$

2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-7 16:17
The Sandisk Ultra is a borderline card, it works OK for 1080p, but anything higher in resolution c ...

Geebox what problems are you referring to when using an Ultra SD ?

That's what I've been using with my P3P and it's highest video setting and have not had any video issues, that I know of .  I thought the P3P had a buffer built in so it could handle the high data transfer rate to the SD card.

No disagreement the Sandisk Extreme Pro would be the best card but it will also cost you at least 3 or 4 times as much for the same size.

2016-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-9 07:32
Geebox what problems are you referring to when using an Ultra SD ?

That's what I've been using wi ...

The problem is speed, the Ultra series is just on the borderline of working with 4K. It may work or may not, and will most certainly get into trouble once you have a number of fragmented files on the card. As long as you copy the files off the card each time and re-format it, it may work OK. Personally I don't take the risk and I don't care about the cost of the card, knowing it will work reliably is much more important to me.

And no, the camera system does not have a buffer. In fact there is no such thing as a buffer when recording continous video material, simply because at some stage the buffer will overrun. Good cameras have buffers to support bracket shooting and multiple-shot shooting, but not video.

Also, some higher end cameras will kerep recording if they fall behind, and they do so by skipping frames (only in RAW mode), but the Phantom does not, it just stops recording period.
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

Oh, I thought you had experienced issues. I've got several hours of video on SanDisk Ultra's (class 10) and to date have not had any issues yet. And really don't expect any with the max bitrate of the P3P camera being 60 MB/s and the said card can handle 80 MB/s.

If there wasn't such a price difference in the cards (or I had issues) I would probably buy faster memory just to stay at the forefront. You make a GOOD point in that people using these class 10 devices should probably format them on a regular basis so the speed does not degrade. I always transfer directly from the bird to my PC then format the SD Card.

Do you know what the purpose of the cache is in the P3P camera and the purpose of clearing the cache is in the DJI Go app ?

Have a Great Day!

2016-8-9
Use props
cdikland
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

userfd5c62660a Posted at 2016-8-7 01:45
I have the same problem with sd cards. The original sd card in my Phantom 3 Standars is a Sandisk Ul ...

Did you ever get these sd cards working. My P3S came with the 8GB Sandisk Ultra. Just like yourself, I tried two 32 gb version of this card and neither work in this drone. I assumed, "Must be the way I am formatting them or creating partitions". I decided to take a crappy lexar card and create part/format as I did with the Sandisk. This card works "fine" (slow as molasses) but the better quality Sandisk does not. Both the Sandisks I tried work fine in my mobile and/or Nikon camera. What gives???

2016-9-27
Use props
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

same here, maybe four chips that will not work in drone..all work outside and have been deep formatted..strange as one did work then stopped.. The good news I bought a samsung 32 pro and a Toshiba 16 30mbs that seem to work fine..grrrr the samsung chip was $25 US
2016-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cdikland Posted at 2016-9-28 06:08
Did you ever get these sd cards working. My P3S came with the 8GB Sandisk Ultra. Just like yourself ...

'Both the Sandisks I tried work fine in my mobile and/or Nikon camera. What gives???'

Your mobile and camera are nowhere near as demanding as the camera system in the Phantom, perhaps the Nikon is if your are shooting 4K video with it. The problem is the card must be able to work at sustained high bit rates, still shots don't come close to that because they are single events.
2016-9-27
Use props
cdikland
lvl.3
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-27 20:38
'Both the Sandisks I tried work fine in my mobile and/or Nikon camera. What gives???'

Your mobile ...

The main points is that the 8gb Sandisk Ultra card works fine, the 32 gb Sandisk Ultra card does not. A cheap Lexar (does even show specs) does work. The latter works in my Nikon, while shooting HD video, but nowhere near as smooth as the 32gb Sandisk Ultra.
2016-9-28
Use props
cdikland
lvl.3
Canada

darrin@proimage Posted at 2016-9-27 20:23
same here, maybe four chips that will not work in drone..all work outside and have been deep formatt ...

Yup... Lower performance cards may work while higher performance cards may not.

The issues is not related to a particular card not able to keep up with the drones recording capabilities.
2016-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cdikland Posted at 2016-9-28 22:28
The main points is that the 8gb Sandisk Ultra card works fine, the 32 gb Sandisk Ultra card does n ...

'The latter works in my Nikon, while shooting HD video, but nowhere near as smooth as the 32gb Sandisk Ultra.'

If you are only shooting HD in your Nikon, that is light work compared to shooting 4K in the Phantom. But, it may be the Sandisk 32GB Ultra is a counterfeit card, there are quite a few around. Personally, I always use Sandisk, never the Ultra series because they are too slow for my other devices, always the Extreme or Extreme Pro series.
2016-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules