Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Time Remapping with OSMO slow motion
5750 11 2016-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
braygaddison
New

United States

Hey friends,

I shot some slow motion footage the other day with the OSMO and was hoping to edit in post to have the footage play at normal speed and then slow down all in the same clip. Usually you can do this with the Time Remapping function in Premeire Pro CC, but the OSMO automatically outputs your slow motion footage in 24.98 fps, and I can't figure out how to get it back to normal speed.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to acheive different playback speeds in the same clip (like in the video below). Check out seconds :18 - :23 to see what I mean. It has to be possible if the video below is actually OSMO footage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bray

2016-8-7
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

"outputs your slow motion footage in 24.98 fps, and I can't figure out how to get it back to normal speed. "

Just give it a 4X speed up, it's a normal speed video of 120fps.
2016-8-8
Use props
braygaddison
New

United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-8 03:10
"outputs your slow motion footage in 24.98 fps, and I can't figure out how to get it back to normal  ...

Yeah, theoretically I'd need to speed ramp it up that much (even up to 480%), but it looks too fast when I do. Idk why. It's weird. I've found that 300% looks pretty good. It's still slower than real-time speed, but going over 300% starts to make my footage choppy like there aren't enough frames to play through smoothly. It's weird.
2016-8-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

braygaddison Posted at 2016-8-9 16:40
Yeah, theoretically I'd need to speed ramp it up that much (even up to 480%), but it looks too fas ...

I noticed the same thing playing around with it today. At 400% it looks fast and choppy, at 300% ok but still a little slow. You can make it a bit smoother by overlaying a copy of your clip offset by 1 frame and opacity 10%, gives it a type of motion blur effect, but still looks to fast.
2016-8-10
Use props
jphphotography
lvl.1
Canada

I'm  not as familiar with FCP and imovie but you might want to look into some of your settings regarding time remapping and the way it's doing it, typically you have the option of frame sampling, frame blending, or optical flow, each will yield a different result. Also, since it was shot at a high frame rate your shutter is going to be faster which will inherently look choppier, using an optical flow mode should help with this.
Here is a comparison of the 3 modes using Premiere CC, this example is using them when slowing down a clip but it should still hold true for speeding it up as well.

2016-8-10
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

jphphotography@ Posted at 2016-8-10 18:27
I'm  not as familiar with FCP and imovie but you might want to look into some of your settings regar ...

worked for me, much smoother.
2016-8-11
Use props
MPrah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97490 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Hello everyone, I am new to DJI OSMO and I also couldn't get slow motion rendering different than 24.98 fps whatever settings I put for camera slow motion (MOV, MP4, PAL, NTSC)... how to get it in 29.97 fps or 30 fps (without frame blending or optical flow blending)? That means that real slow motion is 100 fps and not 120 fps... Many thanks in advance for help, Matjaž
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MPrah Posted at 2017-10-15 23:35
Hello everyone, I am new to DJI OSMO and I also couldn't get slow motion rendering different than 24.98 fps whatever settings I put for camera slow motion (MOV, MP4, PAL, NTSC)... how to get it in 29.97 fps or 30 fps (without frame blending or optical flow blending)? That means that real slow motion is 100 fps and not 120 fps... Many thanks in advance for help, Matjaž

That is right, the frequency of slow motion is 1080P, 100 fps.
2017-10-16
Use props
MPrah
lvl.1
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-16 00:18
That is right, the frequency of slow motion is 1080P, 100 fps.

Many thanks for quick reply and for clarification!  I was mislead by many reviews saying that DJI OSMO has 120fps slow motion (like: http://www.hispeedcams.com/dji-o ... 20fps-in-your-hand/  or  http://resourcemagonline.com/201 ... era-the-osmo/59127/  and many more) . Also almost all you tube clips samples are titled as "120fps"... Kind regards, Matjaž
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MPrah Posted at 2017-10-16 00:55
Many thanks for quick reply and for clarification!  I was mislead by many reviews saying that DJI OSMO has 120fps slow motion (like: http://www.hispeedcams.com/dji-osmo-stabilized-120fps-in-your-hand/  or  http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/10/dji-announces-insane-handheld-4k-120fps-stabilized-camera-the-osmo/59127/  and many more) . Also almost all you tube clips samples are titled as "120fps"... Kind regards, Matjaž

Sorry for the confusion, please take specs in our website as a standard. slow motion.png
2017-10-16
Use props
MPrah
lvl.1
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-16 01:29
Sorry for the confusion, please take specs in our website as a standard.[view_image]

No problem! I noticed that earlier, but just hoped that it may be a typo :-) ... I can live with 100 fps as well :-)  just wanted to clarify my confusion. DJI Osmo is excellent! Once again, many thanks for your speedy and accurate answer.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MPrah Posted at 2017-10-16 01:32
No problem! I noticed that earlier, but just hoped that it may be a typo :-) ... I can live with 100 fps as well :-)  just wanted to clarify my confusion. DJI Osmo is excellent! Once again, many thanks for your speedy and accurate answer.

You are very welcome, appreciate your support to DJI products, hope you have a great time with it.
2017-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules