Cell Phone Towers
1517 9 2016-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WhiteFang
lvl.1
United States

Do cell phone towers interfere with a Phantom drone operation ?
2016-8-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

I think yes.
2016-8-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Doubtful, they are on a totally different frequency band. I flew right up to a large tower near me some months ago and it had no effect at all. The only possibility is that the strength of the cell transmission may overload the receiver in the aircraft.
2016-8-7
Use props
TheRann4u
lvl.4

United States

"cell transmission may overload the receiver in the aircraft" to me says it could effect the drone
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

it very well could, at least if close enough it may igve compass errors, and may or may not cause signal interference.
2016-8-8
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Yes it does, but only when you fly the same height as the actual radiator, the tower itself doesn't seem to cause any issues.  I tested this out a couple days ago.
2016-8-8
Use props
Just like height voltage wiring, no problem unless you get way to close. Be smart and stay back a hundred feet or so. In todays technology it's called possible EMI  and its stronger than your transmitter signal. Be safe not sorry.
2016-8-13
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

If your in the line of sight of one of the cell towers radiators your Xcopter will still be impacted even if you are a couple hundred meters away!

I did more testing yesterday with various height towers and once your in front of the actual radiator your signal will be impaired or gone completely. Of course the closer you are the easier it is to loose total signal!!  The beam from the radiators is quite narrow so it's relatively easy to avoid it if you know they are present. Once your bird is past the beam it's doesn't seem to have an impact on the over all range you achieve. In one test I would loose complete signal at 30m altitude and 200 m out. If I flew 10m higher or lower the bird would continue and I was out 3.6km with a decent signal.

It's a fact guys!.
2016-8-13
Use props
cheefung
lvl.1

New Zealand

Nonsense. It doesn't effect my phantom 4. Here is a picture to prove it. I mucked around it. As close as 10 meters on the dish.

Enjoy the photos.
2016-8-30
Use props
cheefung
lvl.1

New Zealand

Spot the drone
IMG_20160828_154217.jpg
2016-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now