Tablet draining power from inspire's remote battery
3686 25 2015-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

hi everyone,
Not sure if this is normal, but my tablet is sucking power out of the remote control to charge/remain fully charged.
This has an effect on the battery life from the inspire's remote. Is there a way around drink g power from the remote???

Thanks
Macphi

Ps: tablet is the nvidia shield

2015-1-27
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

My Samsung S 8.4 is pretty power hungry also.  It's quick to drain and slow to charge.  How do you do like the Nvidia btw?  Any latency, display brightness or glare issues?  I'm about ready to get one in place of the Samsung.  
2015-1-27
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Like Frosty said, how's that NVidia Shield working for you?
2015-1-27
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Got it today, haven't had a chance to test it properly yet. But first impression is that images are smooth and the tablet uses a reasonable amount of battery, which, as it turns out is the remote control's battery! (As soon as the tablet is plugged to the inspire's remote, it tries to maintain its 100% charge level, and therefore immediately drains juice from the remote. Effectively, this means that the tablet is working on external power and the internal battery is not used.) Following this logic, the entire system is limited by the battery of the remote control, which will be the first non swappable battery to be drained out. This means that the power consumption of the tablets used is quite an important factor.
2015-1-27
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Just asking a simple question here. Does this mean the tablet is draining the TX and may cause issues of signal drop out etc??
Could this cause a weak gps lock putting craft into Atti?
Interesting info here to ponder.
2015-1-27
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

Is this not what any tablet or phone would do? [pardon my noob]
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't even really give enough to charge. Depending on the tablet it will give enough power to maybe hold the charge at its current level. You can always charge the rx via a flight battery as well.
2015-1-27
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Yes the tablet is draining the tx. I would expect the tablet to drain its own battery, not the Tx's
As far as consequences and issues this may cause, I don't know yet.

FOR DJI: it would be great in a future software update to be able to switch on/off the power of the USB port of the Tx.
2015-1-27
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-1-28 04:05
My Samsung S 8.4 is pretty power hungry also.  It's quick to drain and slow to charge.  How do you d ...

Wud you recommend the S 8.4. I have the Pro 12.2 and the video isn't as smooth as I wud like. I was thinking of buying the S 8.4 because it has more horsepower (8 core processor compared to the Pro's 4 core). Plus the S 8.4 can fit in the holder.
2015-1-27
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

" You can always charge the rx via a flight battery as well."

Now that's is cool right there ty for that info and it does just that charge the TX just tried it!
2015-1-27
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

jones5r Posted at 2015-1-28 07:52
Wud you recommend the S 8.4. I have the Pro 12.2 and the video isn't as smooth as I wud like. I wa ...

I can't say how the S 8.4 really compares to the Pro 12.2 because my 8.4 is actually my first Android.  Right off the bat you'll see the 8.4's hypnotic hi res display.  Then you'll see how slim and lightweight it is so you'd hardly feel its weight on the Tx.

Some improvements I would like of my S 8.4 is that it could be quicker.  The system just seems slow compared to iPads, whether I'm using it for internet, DJI Pilot, or other basic functions.  It's not terribly slow, but just spoiled from Apple.  Second issue is the 8.4's battery drain.  Battery percentage seems to tick lower every minute browsing the internet.  Charging back to 100% takes an eternity plus 1.

To sum it up, since I use the tab solely for the Inspire and web browsing, I'll be looking for something faster.  Maybe you can give the S8.4 a try before the return period ends?
2015-1-27
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Anyone else is concerned with the  fact that tablets use the tx battery to recharge when connected?
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-1-28 08:11
" You can always charge the rx via a flight battery as well."

Now that's is cool right there ty for ...

This was the only way we could keep the TX charged at CES.
2015-1-28
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Yeah, because the tx were being discharged by the tablets!!!
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

What does "TX" refer to, please?

P.S. I am typing exactly what is shown in the Verify code window--eBFM--and it isn't accepting it. This is why I hate the Verify code function. And people still register and post Spam. Go figure.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Macphi Posted at 2015-1-29 05:20
Yeah, because the tx were being discharged by the tablets!!!

No, Because we had the inspire in the air for 9+ hours straight. The power being supplied to the tablet is very low. It wont even allow a ipad air to go into charge mode.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 05:26

P.S. I am typing exactly what is shown in the Verify code window-- ...

The ground transmitter, the rc controller
2015-1-28
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

Blade....just to confirm...if I plug in the charge cord to the battery and then to the Tx and turn on the battery it will charge the Tx.  I tried that briefly and it seems to be charging.  Just wanted to be sure and not screw something up?
2015-1-28
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 05:31
No, Because we had the inspire in the air for 9+ hours straight. The power being supplied to the t ...

Now that's interesting because the Nvidia shield shows as charging! As opposed to the iPad air, it shows as being on charge mode!
2015-1-28
Use props
grehbein.tampab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 764396 ft
Australia

I have two iPad Mini's and they do not go into charge mode when plugged into the controller.
2015-1-29
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

grehbein.tampab Posted at 2015-1-29 21:43
I have two iPad Mini's and they do not go into charge mode when plugged into the controller.

Correct, he is worries about nothing.
2015-1-29
Use props
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

The point here is that some devices (like the nvidia shield) draw power from the transmitter. Apparently this does not applies to all tablets.
2015-1-29
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Macphi Posted at 2015-1-30 00:08
The point here is that some devices (like the nvidia shield) draw power from the transmitter. Appar ...

Yes, 500mAh of power. Which really isn't a lot. I can run though 4 i1 batteries and still have around 15-20% charge left in the remote.
2015-1-30
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 05:26

P.S. I am typing exactly what is shown in the Verify code window-- ...

TX is, I think, transmitter, which I have taken to mean referring to the remote controller, or RC.  Welcome to the world acronyms! Let's see if someone agrees that TX is transmitter.

I am building a glossary of every acronym and abbreviation I've encountered since my involvement with drones. Every day i add more.
2015-2-5
Use props
drosos.dimitris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241362 ft
Greece

Have the same issue with note 3 10.1 2014 edition.. Propably samsung issue... Any suggestion?

I have mention that the problem begin when start recording video and battery drain extreme fast and tablet overheat... I dont know if it is cause the android version 4.3.....
2015-3-24
Use props
drosos.dimitris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241362 ft
Greece

Found a solution that work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enable tha save power mode and vuala!!! Everything great!!!! 20 minute recording with lighhting full!!! from 99% goes to 85%!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Note 10.1 2014 edition
2015-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules