Colour Banding/Posterization Issues
1373 3 2016-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jphphotography
lvl.1
Canada

I haven't seen too many people talking abou this issue but for me this is what is preventing me from using my OSMO commercially. I work in video production for television broadcast/corporate clients and I'm struggling to get footage that is passable due to the image degrading with both colour banding and macroblocking during scenes with a lot of detail. So far the only thing I can do to mitigate this is to avoid shooting in 4K (boo!) and shoot in 1080 60p or 48p to keep the bitrate up.

I wish DJI would enable a pro mode that allows for some type of ALL-I compression with a constant bitrate. Not sure if this even possible with the sensor/image processor. If it's a matter of heat then I'd even be fine with the fan being cranked as I'm either not using the sound or it's being recorded seperately. My Sony Action (AS100V) cam has a 50mbit xavc mode that produces pretty amazing video, it is also using a 1/2.3" Exmor sensor.

Here are some screenshots from VLC highlighting the banding I'm seeing, unfortunately due to the 1000k attachement size I had to just crop into the frame. This footage is of me walking between rows of wheat, as soon as I move out of the row the banding in the sky drops and is fine again because there are less fast changing regions. The banding is absolutely terrible on the 4k shot and somewhat servicable at 1080 60p but there is still so much macroblocking that I couldn't show this to a client.

I'm wondering if either I have a bad camera or if this is a known issue, if it's the latter does anyone have any tips? Just FYI I've still experienced this with d-log footage with sharpness, saturation, contrast all set to -2.

4k 24fps

4k 24fps

4k 24fps

1080 60fps

1080 60fps

1080 60fps

2016-8-10
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, it's the normal performance of Osmo. I suggest you take a look at Osmo pro.   I've passed your suggestion to our R&D team. Thank you.
2016-8-10
Use props
jphphotography
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-11 01:32
Hi, it's the normal performance of Osmo. I suggest you take a look at Osmo pro.   I've passed your s ...

This is disappointing, I'm not the type to purchase something before researching it and I probably watched 100+ videos of footage produced by the OSMO and didn't see anything like this. I tried to find a download of raw (ie straight from the camera) footage, something that you can generally find on a manufacturers website, but was unable to. By pro I'm assuming you're referring to the X5? Unfortunately that's outside of my personal budget range, my workplace might be a different story although we just got a Ronin so that is unlikely.

I was hoping there might be some sort of firmware update down the road that at least forced the maximum 60Mbps bitrate regardless of your framerate, hence increasing the quality of say 1080/24p.

Just out of curiosity what is DJI's return policy? I bought mine directly from your store.
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jphphotography@ Posted at 2016-8-11 10:51
This is disappointing, I'm not the type to purchase something before researching it and I probably ...

Hi, you can find them here http://www.dji.com/service/policy.  You can also send an email to sales@dji.com to find out.

2016-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules