Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote power charging options for Phantom 3 batteries
2532 13 2016-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Divergenttravel
United States

I'm going to be in need of some remote power charging for my Phantom 3  batteries. Options i've found is Solar chargers or external batter packs  ? Is their other options that you have found? Has anyone charge their  phantom 3 batteries remotely? I"m looking for something that will be able  to charge the batteries 4-8 times or maybe more.... If that's possible. What remote  power options have worked for you to charge your drone? What are my charging options? What should I  look for and what should I avoid? Thanks and FLY ON!

2016-8-11
Use props
billwish76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175495 ft

you say remotly id say moble power source. Well the first thing would be in your car Phantom batteries are close to 5 amps I had a portable jump starter pack 10 amp and it only charge a battery once so with the amount you're talking your need a 50 amp hour battery or so which are very expensive solar panels are way too slow so for the price a car battery would probably work because my 10a power bank, was about 60 bucks I had a gel cell 26 amp hour battery and I only got a few charges. The Phantom batteries are 15.2 volts most battery packs for portable power are 12v.
2016-8-11
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

billwish76 Posted at 2016-8-11 15:28
you say remotly id say moble power source. Well the first thing would be in your car Phantom batteri ...

Have you tried the car charger? From what you're saying here, it sounds like three or four charges with the engine off could leave the car battery a bit drained?

Mark G.
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's been gone over several times before and it seems the best way is if you have room I'd get a Honda eu2000i generator. I've had them before and they are super quiet and very lightweight. I bought one used for $600 and it was great.
Either that or spend the money and buy a bunch of batteries OR, there are places online that offer rentals on aircraft and batteries. Don't know what they cost but work looking into it.Solar is not going to much at all for you if your using a mobile solar system.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i
2016-8-11
Use props
Divergenttravel
United States

Great info however I'm looking at traveling with it..... So it needs to be small and pack-able.
2016-8-11
Use props
Divergenttravel
United States

I do not want to go with solar however i'm looking at something like this.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... 13_solar_panel.html Thoughts?
2016-8-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Divergenttravel Posted at 2016-8-12 11:29
I do not want to go with solar however i'm looking at something like this.... https://www.bhphotovid ...

As Ken says, it has been gone over several times before. That solar panel you link to is no good because it has only got a 12 volt DC output, you need 17.5 volts to charge a Phantom battery. Even so, it would be like watching grass grow with any type of solar panel except a quite large one, and that then negates your wish to be able to back-pack it.

And the jump-start packs are similarly impractical, because they weigh a ton and have limited functionality.

The conclusions arrived at previously were that is is more practical to take a bunch of Phantom batteries with you, or use a car charger from a vehicle, or one of the Honda EU-2000i generators. Even the smaller and light EU-1000i generator would do the job well. The problem is, a Phantom is not easy to provide for away from mains power.
2016-8-11
Use props
mochorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

I saw one of these small generators in Walmart one day. It looked as though it could be pack-able but I didn't really consider that when looking at it.
Walmart Ad
2016-8-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Divergenttravel Posted at 2016-8-11 20:29
I do not want to go with solar however i'm looking at something like this.... https://www.bhphotovid ...

You're talking about charging for over 10 hours per battery with that SP.  That's just considering watt-hours, not getting the voltage to do it also.  I don't know the charging characteristics of LiPO chemistry, so I don't know if slow charging for a long time even works on them.
2016-8-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-12 12:26
You're talking about charging for over 10 hours per battery with that SP.  That's just considering  ...

Yes, you can charge at low rates for long periods, but you still need around 17 volts even to do that, and nearly all solar panels have little more than 12 to 13 volt ouptuts, so are no use at all.
2016-8-11
Use props
billwish76
Second Officer

the best thing is buy extra batterys what you want really cant be done that way. the geni is 20x11x16 and 50 lbs. if you wont have a car. in mi ne i have a deep cycle battery always keep a jump starter in the car.. maybe if you're a little more specific about what where or how you're going there can be a solution
2016-8-11
Use props
billwish76
Second Officer

Divergenttravel Posted at 2016-8-12 09:29

i had a solar panel a little smaller on a 26 amp hour battery it was on there for 2 days and barely raised in a volt they're meant more for maintainer empowering light Electronics like cell phones
2016-8-11
Use props
hungdang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

how about pure sine inverter? if you have your car with you then pure sine inverter will be fine
2016-8-11
Use props
Divergenttravel
United States

I'm going to be on a boat camping on remote Islands.... So what I'm getting from this info is there is no way to charge a DJI Phantom without packing a generator or without packing 8+ batteries for my trip.
2016-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules