Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
3 Blade Props?
1933 12 2016-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imagesbyjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

I'm sure it's been covered, so apologies in advance...  Anyone have any experience with these (or something like them)?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/ ... 40_32359294249.html

2016-8-13
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Unless you're just wanting your Phantom to look different, stick with the DJI blades.  3 blades won't improve performance but hey, do your own research.
2016-8-13
Use props
scschulte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 159370 ft

These 3-prop blades look super!  Seem to be carbon fiber, too!  If you try them, would you post back with your review?  I must admit, I'm tempted to give them a try for $20/set!!  (I have dyed mine - 1 set red, 1 set yellow -- just standard 2-prop DJI ones-- I put 2 red in front and 2 yellow in rear!).  

Thanks for posting!!!

Steve
Saturday 13 August 2016
2016-8-13
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

20-40 days delivery to UK ... was tempted by the price but winter will be here before they are - lol
2016-8-13
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Complete waste of money and possibly worse than that.
How well balanced are they?
How would they affect your flight?
The Phantom propulsion equipment is a tuned system and you will not improve by slapping some badass looking off-the-shelf props on it..
And for anyone that thinks they llook cool, that's only when they are on the ground.
Once in flight all props look the same.
2016-8-13
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

As mentioned above, there is always a risk with balancing props, and we have no guarantee they are. They may look cool but as for the power-band of each motor, 2-blade props is most efficient due to load on the phantom. One would think more lifting capacity, but there is much more involved than a blade extra to get that. You have to bare in mind that with one extra blade the rpm of the motor will be slower and may never reach the optimal thrust/consumption band. To sum it up, the phantoms payload is too small and motors to weak to "need" 3 props. There is a reason why the R-22 has 2 blades and the MI-26 has 8.
2016-8-14
Use props
imagesbyjas
Second Officer
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2016-8-14 08:12
As mentioned above, there is always a risk with balancing props, and we have no guarantee they are.  ...

Understand and thanks.....  and I balance every set of props, including the DJI ones (which at times have come with some pretty out of balance conditions out of the bag).  So if these don't balance, they don't go on..  My thoughts are more along the lines of hovering photography or slow pan horizon video or HDR photography and from readings, the 3 blade adds stabilization.  I wasn't looking at these as general use replacements..  for that I will stick with the two blade DJI CF re-enforced that I prefer..  (I know the debate between those and the original white plastic).
2016-8-14
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

The main benefit of 3 bladed props is reduced noise levels.

My Phantom 3 is very noisy with 2 bladed props making it very easy for grumpy people to hear it and complain.

If I could find a set of 3 bladed props that were reliable I'd probably do it just to reduce the noise.
2016-8-14
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-14 15:37
Understand and thanks.....  and I balance every set of props, including the DJI ones (which at tim ...

I see ! If shooting lets say 24fps, would one even notice the difference with 2 or 3 bladed u think? When i do horizon pan i hardly see any, maybe more for still pictures? I dont know as i've not testesd so let me know if u do!
2016-8-14
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-8-14 16:31

My Phantom 3 is very noisy with 2 blade ...

How much of a reduction are you expecting? Do u think it'll be noticable?
2016-8-14
Use props
stuka
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-8-14 22:31

My Phantom 3 is very noisy with 2 blade ...

REduced noise at least in large scale rc. They will tend to increase load on motorthus reducing flight time as in fixed wings. You need to go up or down diameter compared to two bladed props to maintain load. Not sure if 3 blade needs to be an inch more or less.
2016-8-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-14 23:37
Understand and thanks.....  and I balance every set of props, including the DJI ones (which at tim ...

"My thoughts are more along the lines of hovering photography or slow pan horizon video or HDR photography and from readings, the 3 blade adds stabilization."

What you've read is rubbish.
Your Phantom already has all the stabilisation it's ever going to get.
Slapping some cheap ebay 3-blade props on is mopre likely to reduce stabilisation.
If it was so simple to improve the performance of the Phantom the team of DJI propulsion engineers would have done that already.
2016-8-14
Use props
imagesbyjas
Second Officer

Mariuss Posted at 2016-8-15 05:53
I see ! If shooting lets say 24fps, would one even notice the difference with 2 or 3 bladed u thin ...

Don't know how much (if any) difference they might make. If simple balancing can help eliminate jello effect though.. whose to say???   :-)  Not going to break the bank and certainly not going to send the P3P up 400 ft and a mile out with them on it the first time.  I should know pretty quick if even after balancing they seem to be putting some added stress (to the point of being less stable) ..  If that's the case, then chalk it up to learning experience...  For that matter, I could just spin up the motors on a flat surface and see if there is any additional vibration added.
2016-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules