Multiple Shots around POI For 3d Mapping
2772 10 2016-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Helipilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79846 ft
United Kingdom

HI only had my inspire about a week now and loving it. I want to take some shots (lots!) around a point of interest and then use them in a 3d pckage to create a 3 d model. Any advice on how to do this would be great. I was looking at screen grabs from the 4k video and they looked possibly good enough to use but not sure if there were any programs that could easily extract them as single images rather than doing a screen grab of every one. Thanks

2016-8-15
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just use the POI flight mode and set the speed to a low value while the Inspire takes a photo at the 5 second interval.  You'll likely want to do a couple passes (at different elevations).  Limit the amount of Sky visible in the images.  Works great....
2016-8-15
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
United Kingdom

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-8-15 19:06
Just use the POI flight mode and set the speed to a low value while the Inspire takes a photo at the ...

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Is there a particular software you use for 3d mapping, been looking at Agisoft?
2016-8-15
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Helipilot Posted at 2016-8-15 11:33
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Is there a particular software you use for 3d mapping, been looking a ...

I'm a big fan of Pix4D.  I started using it when it was still called Pix4UAV about 3 years ago.  I've tried Agisoft Photoscan, but like Pix4D better.  They have really robust HELP information online and in the software that makes it easy to use.
Best of luck.
Aaron.
2016-8-16
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
United Kingdom

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-8-16 23:48
I'm a big fan of Pix4D.  I started using it when it was still called Pix4UAV about 3 years ago.  I ...

Many thanks, I'll check it out and appreciate all your help.

Cheers

Liam
2016-8-16
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Hello Liam,

Keep us posted on how you go about creating 3d models, will ya!

Cheers,
Hans
2016-10-25
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

vandruten Posted at 2016-10-25 19:23
Hello Liam,

Keep us posted on how you go about creating 3d models, will ya!

The trick is to collect imagery that "overlaps" by 70-80 percent between photos.  You can use cloud resources like MapsMadeEasy or DroneDeploy, Propeller, to do the processing or if you have a workstation already could try ESRI Drone2Map or Pix4D or Agisoft.  I've just started experimenting with mounting a Ricoh Theta S (360 Spherical camarea) under the drone and capturing some data with that too.  
Experimentation is key to find what works best in different situations.  Taking images from 120m (400ft) gives pixel sizes of ~6cm and flying at 50m (150ft) gives pixel sizes of ~3cm.  You can use flight control programs like Pix4D capture or DroneDeploy to automate flight and data capture, but sometimes it is just best to fly manually and take photos every 5 seconds (for smaller projects).  
2016-10-26
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-10-27 06:05
The trick is to collect imagery that "overlaps" by 70-80 percent between photos.  You can use clou ...

Cheers, mate!

Tried to orbit around a telco tower with the Go app taking pics every 2s on two altitude levels, processed with pix4d and Aerial3D360  with no luck! https://skfb.ly/VvFV

Yup I have to experiment more.
2016-11-2
Use props
Minmim81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7780965 ft
Australia

Inspire one pro black X5 with Olympus 12 mm Mzukio,  but used to get great results on the X3 white inspire too.
In my experience with Agisoft The biggest problem causer is focal  (x5) and I would aim to camera down 45° to minimise any background inclusion otherwise masking is good. and if you sequentially take pictures in an orbit then other guys overlap advice is the best otherwise if you're  extracting from after affects video you can export 'nth' every frame.  Experiment even on a decent laptop On agisoft, you should be able to get decent results in five or 10 minutes with six photos if that is not working then don't do it with 100 photos until your balance is right results can look beautiful.  The other very important point is to make sure that your exposure is set to manual and as narrow  contrast  as possible before you colour correct for the texture layer remember that calculation layer will look different: 'Grayer' then the ones used for the texture layers, and you won't see it .  If drone deploy is uploading your flight path mission, and is controlling your camera you will notice this exposure trick in the images that they take . the computer handles  lower contrast better than grain or Unfocused images or high contrast,  assuming it has points to recognise in contrast as an object .  One last thing is that I get great results in overcast days where the lighting is diffused from the clouds but just take into account how are shadows if that is your shooting conditions or requirement.  good luck!!! Fly up to the top or a little higher than the towers And aim downwards 45° is what I meant to say earlier otherwise the background will kill all your processing and you will never reach a result, and will never leave five or 6% completion
2016-11-2
Use props
fansd2e77d65
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

vandruten Posted at 2016-11-2 17:10
Cheers, mate!

Tried to orbit around a telco tower with the Go app taking pics every 2s on two alt ...

Would it be possible to share a KML of your flight path?    I've gotten much better results than that. When taking images orbiting a target, you'll want a minimum of 36 (1 image every 10 degrees) I'll try and get a sample posted this weekend.
2016-11-4
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

fansd2e77d65 Posted at 2016-11-5 01:28
Would it be possible to share a KML of your flight path?    I've gotten much better results than th ...

Hey thanks for the heads up and sorry for this late reply. I've been away for work and could hardly spend time with the bird.

Will share my KML very soon and looking forward to see more of your samples. Cheers mate!
2016-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules