Phantom 4 Cracked battery Poll (Resolved)
12Next >
7140 44 2016-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm curious as to the extent of this problem. The perception seems to be that a high proportion of the battery cases are cracking, just above the 4th LED. This has been discussed in another thread and the cause appears to be the top latch spring pushing against the inside of the case.

So how many are out there, should they be returned, or is it not worth the hassle, and a dab of glue or bit of tape will fix it ?

I have raised this because one of my three batteries has just exhibited this problem, its not had more than a few hours usage, and as with all the gear has been handled gently at all times.

Option 3 should read:-

"I have a Phantom 4 battery with cracking above LED 4, but have repaired it, or continue to use it."

Single SelectVote, Total 34 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

14.71% (5)
14.71% (5)
70.59% (24)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-8-16
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

Perhaps you should provide another option. I have 4 Batteries and have not got cracks on any of them.
2016-8-16
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Mine not cracked yet,but if I rub my finger/thumb gently over the area were the crack develops I can feel a very slight hump where the spring sits against the plastic cover, I'm not to concerned about it yet.
2016-8-16
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Three batteries here..  No cracks.
2016-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the update guys, this is to try and see how big a problem it might be, and does a quick fix work. That is why I did not put in an option for batteries that were OK.
2016-8-16
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Please add another option:
I have the cracks but I have not returned it yet.
2016-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-16 14:29
Please add another option:
I have the cracks but I have not returned it yet.

See option 3 , it didn't come out too well, and edit does not allow the options to be changed once it's been entered initially. I added a line to my note above the voting section. I'm the same as you, just noticed this today in fact. I wasn't sure whether to repair or return.
2016-8-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed, you need another list item that states "No cracks".  I have five batteries, have flown more than 150 times in all temperatures.  I have not a single crack.
2016-8-16
Use props
dirtdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

Yeah rats. Just checked mine and 1 out of 5 has the crack. I wonder if the apple store will swap.
2016-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dirtdroner Posted at 2016-8-16 23:57
Yeah rats. Just checked mine and 1 out of 5 has the crack. I wonder if the apple store will swap.

Would be covered under warranty I would think, faulty workmanship/materials.
2016-8-16
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

dirtdroner Posted at 2016-8-16 18:57

If it is within the return period they should, but if not you will probably need to open a ticket with DJI support for a replacement request.
2016-8-17
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

4 batteries here no cracks but hold in release buttons when inserting the battery into drone, I really do think just pushing the battery in till it does the loud click is causing the problem
2016-8-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-8-25 00:12
4 batteries here no cracks but hold in release buttons when inserting the battery into drone, I real ...

Not so here, I was well aware of this problem of the batteries cracking, like you I hold in both buttons.

But it seems to have already been recognised by DJI as a Phantom 4 problem see post number 74 Here

I was trying to establish if this is still common problem, it could be that there are already measures in place to resolve this.

2016-8-25
Use props
djprow
lvl.1

United Kingdom

5 batteries 3 cracked
2016-8-26
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

djprow Posted at 2016-8-26 15:08
5 batteries 3 cracked

I wonder why DJI doesn't fix this manufacturing problem. Sorry for your experience.
2016-8-31
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

2 batteries, one cracked.  What should I do? Get it replaced, or glue it?
2016-8-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm sure this would be covered under warranty.
But it might be difficult to convince some dealers that the battery hadn't been dropped for example, or that it wasn't from a crashed aircraft.
Just as a side note, although I push buttons, slide battery into place an then check that it is secure; the manual clearly states that the battery should be inserted "Make sure you hear a click sound......" (Page 7 in manual).
2016-8-31
Use props
adamcohn95
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54551 ft

United States

And only on the Part 7. All my 7s are cracked and none of my 53s and I've got a few. Anyone have a cracked 54?
2016-9-12
Use props
adamcohn95
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54551 ft

Let me be more clear, I posit that the cracks are all on part 7 (the less bright battery), there was a sudden and unexpected change in the manufacturing of the battery and it became part 54 and nobody has a cracked battery leading to the reasonable conclusion that they knew about the problem, corrected it and didn't alert the prior battery owners to save money. The results could be bad if true for reasons I won't even say. Could just be a wacky theory but sound off if you have any cracked on that sport 54s. I have 3 7s all cracked and 4 54s, all fine.
2016-9-12
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Adam... that is EXACTLY how things can work with manufacturing and revision updates.  Not conspiracy theory, just the nature of manufacturing.
2016-9-14
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I have 3 P4 batteries and all 3 eventually developed cracks.  The first one I repaired myself and continue to use.  The other two were returned to DJI at different times and were both replaced with new batteries.  Now, it will be interesting to see if the recently replaced batteries also develop cracks or if DJI has fixed this design flaw.
2016-9-18
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-8-25 11:12
4 batteries here no cracks but hold in release buttons when inserting the battery into drone, I real ...

No it's not, I always hold the buttons down when inseting the battery and mine has developed a crack.
2016-9-18
Use props
godsend1
New

United States

3 batteries, one just cracked, purchased in May 2016, I will likely try to get it replaced.
2016-10-30
Use props
jcostello182
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

Under 10 hours flight time and its cracked {:4_142:}
2016-10-30
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I never just push the battery in, as it is when you do that the damage is happening, I always press in the release buttons when I push in the P4 I have 4 batteries with no problems of cracking
2016-10-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-10-31 19:04
I never just push the battery in, as it is when you do that the damage is happening, I always press  ...

"as it is when you do that the damage is happening, "

I'm not convinced on that one, as I've always held clips when inserting.

In post 19 it might appear that the problem is down to a batch where the plastic may have been weaker.

I have three batteries, and the cracked one is the older of the three that came with the machine.

2016-10-31
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Are there any numbers on the batteries we can compare ?
2016-11-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-11-1 20:51
Are there any numbers on the batteries we can compare ?

Not that I'm aware of. I assume DJI wold be able to correlate the Serial Numbers to manufacturer batch number.
I've decided just to treat it as cosmetic damage. The battery itself works well, if need be I'll glue it in later life.

Edit:- I suspect DJI have already got it covered otherwise I would expect to see a lot more cases. My P4 and that battery woud have been an early batch.
2016-11-1
Use props
Johnny v
New

United States

I also have a crack what should I do.?
2016-12-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny v Posted at 2016-12-2 01:02
I also have a crack what should I do.?

Well if it's less than 6 months old I would think DJI would replace under warranty. Other than that, a dab of glue or a patch ?
2016-12-1
Use props
RickB
lvl.1
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-16 18:27
Would be covered under warranty I would think, faulty workmanship/materials.

yes,  6 months
2016-12-1
Use props
RickB
lvl.1
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-1 20:07
Well if it's less than 6 months old I would think DJI would replace under warranty. Other than tha ...

yes you have 6 months garanty
2016-12-1
Use props
RickB
lvl.1
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-1 20:07
Well if it's less than 6 months old I would think DJI would replace under warranty. Other than tha ...

yes you have 6 months garanty
2016-12-1
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I have one battery out of three with a crack.  It just appeared in the last week.  The battery is 8 months old.

It's only cosmetic.  These cracks occur in very early P4 batteries.  It's caused by the latching spring snapping against the plastic just above the LEDs.  The problem was addressed by DJI and newer batteries don't do this.

It doesn't really affect the operation of the battery.  I'm just leaving mine.  I have no plans to replace it.
2016-12-22
Use props
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

So how are people fixing this poor design? Have people been simply putting a dab of glue on where the cracks have appeared?
If so, did it work?
2017-1-14
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

Thats all ive done mate
2017-1-15
Use props
fansbb9ac8d7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 42680 ft
United States

Two batteries i got with the Drone. Over 50 flights each,I rotate them. Ones cracked ones not.
2017-4-14
Use props
Qba73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 496847 ft
  • >>>
United States

This IS a design flaw, I was told by support that they revised the design after the initial complaints of this happening.

So this is not a normal warranty situation (6 months as stated on policy), DJI acknowledged the issue by redesigning the battery cover, DJI cannot leave the original owners of the defective design to buy a new battery or take chances on self repair, its bad business.

Also this issue is contained to the initial batch of drones that came out in mid 2016 and was later revised in subsequent manufacturing, so DJI should replace the batteries at no cost as this was a contained issue.

2017-4-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Qba73 Posted at 2017-4-14 18:14
This IS a design flaw, I was told by support that they revised the design after the initial complaints of this happening.

So this is not a normal warranty situation (6 months as stated on policy), DJI acknowledged the issue by redesigning the battery cover, DJI cannot leave the original owners of the defective design to buy a new battery or take chances on self repair, its bad business.

"Also this issue is contained to the initial batch of drones that came out in mid 2016 and was later revised in subsequent manufacturing, so DJI should replace the batteries at no cost as this was a contained issue."

I would agree with what you've said, as initially suspected this seems to have been fully resolved by DJI after an initial batch of batteries produced early last year. I'll mark the title up as resolved, although it looks like there could still be some old stock hanging around.
2017-4-15
Use props
Carlmyman
lvl.1
United States

I have 3 batteries & 1 of them has this issue.  It also has a "Battery Signal Error" which makes it unusable for anything more than a paperweight!  It has so little time on it ( 9 charges with 4 of them trying to discharge/charge ).  Contactacted DJI  NYC & got the sorry it's out of warranty reply.  So what do you do in this case?  Any help or DJI people want to fix what is technically your screw up?  Would surely appreciate a software update to fix the Battery Signal Error so I could at least use the battery.  Sorry If I'm rambling it is upsetting.  Another thing, I went to Best Buy last week to buy a battery & was told there is no return policy on them, I would have to deal with the manufacturer if there was any problems.  What gives people?  I'm going to spend $175 for a battery & can't return it if there is a problem the next day!  Not the Best Buy in my mind.
2017-4-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules