Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PV2 plus V2 ESC shrink wrapping
1985 17 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tonyphantom147
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Can anyone think of a good reason why I should not protect my ESC's with a protective wrap. All ESC's I have ever used have some kind of protection from the elements. The only concern I can is see is heat dissipation. Debris and dust build up on my ESC's  is accute. Also at high altitude damp could enter the vents and short the IC board.
2015-1-28
Use props
knarfboy
First Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The ESC need the air flow to cooling the MOS FET transistors.
2015-1-28
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.4

United States

You sound like you are used to the good esc's in hobby cars. These are cheap ones with not enough protection from burning up from heat.
2015-1-28
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

Protect from the elements? You shouldn't be flying the Phantom in "elements". If you do, your main board and receiver are likely in far more jeopardy than the ESCs. It is not a weatherproof device by any stretch of the imagination.

These ESCs are pretty rudimentary, particlularly in the area of head dissipation. First ESCs I've ever seen without even a heat sink. Many of the RC cars even have a fan on top of the heat sink.

Don't wrap the ESCs. That would be a bad idea.

2015-1-28
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

There is this Phantom though...

2015-1-28
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Some quads do have encapsulated ESC though :- http://quadcoptergarage.com/diy- ... -part-two-assembly/
2015-1-29
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-29 18:04
Some quads do have encapsulated ESC though :- http://quadcoptergarage.com/diy-quadcopter-build-part- ...

But...to what purpose? Since the ESCs on a Phantom are already inside the body, no point to applying some shrink tubing. Big possible downside, no upside to doing so.
2015-1-29
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Point being the reason for not doing so was heat from the mosfet. Clearly not a problem for the copter in the picture. If there is no real reason not to, then why not ?  I have never had a crash I'm my car, should the maker have fitted seat belts ?
2015-1-29
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

This is the reason. A lot of debris/dust is accumulating on all ESC's.
004049o4h199p1lh95hqol.jpg
2015-1-29
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-29 21:49
Point being the reason for not doing so was heat from the mosfet. Clearly not a problem for the cop ...

And we're back to where we started...shrink tubing impairing the already-marginal cooling of the already-marginal MOSFETs on the already-marginal ESCs of the v3.0 Vision+. The copter in the picture was not a Phantom.

So....you want to keep them from getting dusty?
2015-1-29
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MacCool, I have proven that not only is it possible, but other manufacturers possibly even DJI are already doing it on some of their other machines.  Now it may be that the ESC's on the Phantom are not suitable, or it may be purely a cost cutting exercise in not fitting protection.  Until we hear from a recognised source all we can do is discuss this.  You should keep an open mined, you seem very unwilling to even consider the possibility bordering on being obtuse about it. This is a shame because there are some who would like to discuss it further.

tonyphantom :- You could always take a measurement of the temperature of the mosfet while the phantom is  running, see what temperatures are there, if it runs cool, then provided the motors are not stalled it might very well work. As the ESC is covered over with the plastic shell of the phantom, little air movement will be flowing over the ESC's so passive cooling maynot be relied upon. There are lots of options, even fitting little heat sinks on the mosfet might be an option.

Best yo try it all on an old second Phantom though eh! - just in case !!!
2015-1-29
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

umpa Posted at 2015-1-30 15:36
MacCool, I have proven that not only is it possible, but other manufacturers possibly even DJI are a ...

Yes i did consider a temerature test. Mines a V2 and had no problems(so far). It seems temerature is the only concern which i was aware of. No other concerns have been raised so might go ahead. Dust and debris build up can over heat parts. Like you said, most ESC have some kind of protection, even when in a shell. The vents let a suprising amout of debris and dust in.
2015-1-30
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Let me know how you get on, post pictures
2015-1-30
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-30 15:36
MacCool, I have proven that not only is it possible, but other manufacturers possibly even DJI are a ...

I have an open mind about it, but I can't think of a single credible reason I would expend the energy and void my warranty to accomplish this. Nor have I seen you provide one.
2015-1-30
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-31 04:41
I have an open mind about it, but I can't think of a single credible reason I would expend the ene ...

Never ever seen a response with so many I's in ? Very odd.
2015-1-30
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Yeah - lol
2015-2-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

tonyphantom147. Posted at 2015-1-31 06:35
Never ever seen a response with so many I's in ? Very odd.

You're obfuscating. Explain your reasoning. What possible benefit would you get from shrink wrapping the ESCs? Then explain how it's worth voiding your warranty.

Pointless solution to a non-problem.
2015-2-2
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2015-2-2 20:38
You're obfuscating. Explain your reasoning. What possible benefit would you get from shrink wrappin ...

He doesn't have to explain anything to you, your against it - you won't be doing it - good for you. Move along - move along.
2015-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules