Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sony Alpha 7 RII
4771 17 2016-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Helipilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79846 ft
United Kingdom

Hi can anyone advise me if I can fit the above camera into the Ronin MX Gimbal for mounting on the Matrice 600? If so are there any issues controlling it and can I use the zoom. Sorry for all the questions but its alot of money to spend and find out it doesnt work or wont fire etc. Thankks in anticipation.

2016-8-23
Use props
Lucien
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35574 ft
France

Hi Helipilot !

No problem at all to fit the Sony Alpha 7 RII on the Ronin MX.

If you are planning using it with the M600, I advise you to buy the DJI Remote Start/Stop unit (http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-mx-remote-start-stop) for the Ronin MX and the Sony RSS Control Cable in order to have full video/photo control (triggering) of your DSLR from M600 remote (as on Inspire 1) or second Lightbridge 2 controller. Tell me if I'm not perfectly clear on this point. I have one so I can be more specific on the explanations.

That being said I don't know if the DJI Focus can be adapted to control zoom on DSLR instead of focus. Normally it is used to control the focus with a distant remote but I think you should have a look at this product.

So I'm just answering 50% of your question, sorry, hope it can help anyway !

Lucien.
2016-8-23
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lucien Posted at 2016-8-23 22:22
Hi Helipilot !

No problem at all to fit the Sony Alpha 7 RII on the Ronin MX.

I just wanted the best MP camera out there for offering something a little different for inspection work. Have you used the sony camera or do you use the x5. Do you think the quality of the x5 with zoom would be almost as good and then maybe I have better controls. sorry for all questions, I'm trying to spec up the right system that will work. Thanks

Liam
2016-8-24
Use props
Lucien
lvl.3
France

Helipilot Posted at 2016-8-24 19:44
I just wanted the best MP camera out there for offering something a little different for inspectio ...

Hi Liam,

No problem, it's perfectly understandable that you have all these questions. It's an expensive drone paltform that we are talking about.

I just wanted (as you said) the best possible camera too on a drone so I bought this Matrice 600 with the Ronin MX. I don't own an X5 on my Inspire 1 so I can't tell you if it's "better" or not when using the zoom functionnality. I was ready to get one. The stills quality seemed to be fine but the users opinion on video quality made me change my mind. Do you only need stills or do you need video as well ?

I'm setting up my Matrice 600 to work with a Canon DSLR and Sony video camera as well. I didn't thought about zooming but it's a good question. My needs are wide angle pictures to take landscape pictures and use of my 4K Sony video camera I bought one or two years ago.

My others search on your inquiry have apparently confirmed that you can use the DJI Focus (http://store.dji.com/product/focus) to control your focus or your zoom on your DSLR / video camera. It is another cost to add and to take into account with this M600 platform.

If it can help you, I've chosen the Matrice 600 and the Ronin MX because I knew i'll be able to use whatever camera / DSLR I want with it and that's what I wanted. I also own an Inspire 1 that I can use when I don't want to deal with all the little things that the M600 implies (At least 6 batteries, bigger drone, more complicated to set up on field, more complex logistics ...).

Just another question, will you have to work in confined area ? The M600 is a really big drone compared to Inspire 1. Did you already think about this ?

Tell me if I can help you more !

Lucien

2016-8-24
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lucien Posted at 2016-8-24 19:15
Hi Liam,

No problem, it's perfectly understandable that you have all these questions. It's an expe ...

Hi Lucien, my main work will be photographing and taking video inspection work of "Cell" and "TV" towers. Due to not wanting to be up really close due to perhaps their transmissions interfering with the drone, I thought about the Matrice 600 with a high MP camera ( the Sony is 42MP) with a zoom lens. This way I could be about say 50ft away and zoom in on a particular area. I then felt if that still wasn't close enough, I could crop it and not lose too much quality as I was starting with 42MP instead of say 16MP on the X5. What MP is your Canon and like you I wanted the Ronin so I had camera flexibility but strangely no one seems to be using this Sony camera which for me is strange as it gets fantastic reviews!!!

Thanks

Liam
2016-8-24
Use props
Lucien
lvl.3
France

Helipilot Posted at 2016-8-25 09:50
Hi Lucien, my main work will be photographing and taking video inspection work of "Cell" and "TV"  ...

Hi Liam !

My Canon is a small one (for the moment) it's a 100D so it's 18 Mpx.

Sadly, I own a Nikon D7100 with a lot of lenses but it's not compatible with the DJI Remote Start/Stop Unit (maybe it will be ?) to trigger it from M600 remote controller. So I borrowed a Canon DSLR to a friend of mine so I can use this setup before I buy a new DSLR compatible with Ronin MX and Remote Start/Stop. And I'm precisely very interested into the Sony A7RII !

The 42 Mpx with the 5 axis stabilisation should be fantastic ! What are your thoughts ?

The other camera I intended to mount on the Ronin MX is a Sony FDR AX100, their first 4K camera. I wanted something more flexible than Inspire 1 even if it's bigger and more expensive because I know I will mount whatever piece of gear I want with a maximum of 4.5kg.

What I like with this platform is that you can say to yourself "okay, if I buy a new camera I could probably mount it on the Ronin MX and use it with the M600". I know that Inspire now has X5 or X5R but with the weight of it, you reduce your flight time and when you think about it, it makes the total cost of Inspire 1 around a M600 with a Ronin MX on which you can mount whatever you want.

Here is how I pondered this.

Did you already choose between X5/X5R and new M600 ?

Lucien
2016-8-25
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lucien Posted at 2016-8-25 18:57
Hi Liam !

My Canon is a small one (for the moment) it's a 100D so it's 18 Mpx.

Hi again, Lucien. I currently own a Yuneec Q500 4k and an Inspire 1 V2 with the standard X3 camera. I liked the Yuneec but the DJI had the edge as far as 3rd party software which I really liked. In saying that my little Yuneec has performed great and I'm going to keep it. Like yourself I liked the fact that with the Ronin MX and the M600, I can decide what is best and not be stuck with the limitations of what they supply. I too am a Nikon man with lots of lenses, I originally started with a F2 Photomic....remember them?  and film???. I'm desperately trying to find the compromise of high MP / good 4k / weight / and almost as important as all this.....control-ability from the ground!!! I'm going to have to buy it all within the next few weeks and currently don't know what to do. Canon have brought out the 5D mark 4 but the Nikon 5D looks great also if both not a bit pricey but that gives 30MP or 20 MP approx and the Sony is 42MP. I wonder if there would be a great deal of difference between them all if placed side by side. Do you think the Canon has good control with the M600? I'm quite new to this and its a really expensive minefield to be in!!!!!
2016-8-25
Use props
Lucien
lvl.3
France

Helipilot Posted at 2016-8-26 09:55
Hi again, Lucien. I currently own a Yuneec Q500 4k and an Inspire 1 V2 with the standard X3 camera ...

Hi Liam,

The only problem I see with Nikon now is that it's not supported by DJI Remote Start/Stop unit. So you'll not be able to control it from the ground. But Canon and Sony DSLR are supported...

Maybe DJI will come with a Nikon compatible cable, who knows... But when you look at the Zenmuse Z15 there are no one that are compatible with Nikon so I don't think it will happend.

The little Canon 100D i'm using was great, I set up the Remote Start/Stop and I was able to trigger picture or video as I do on my Inspire 1. The documentation is relatively clear on this, and I had no problem at all, it worked on the first connection. Auto focus did its job and it took the photos. For the moment, that's all I'm asking it to do !

Lucien.
2016-8-28
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lucien Posted at 2016-8-28 11:49
Hi Liam,

The only problem I see with Nikon now is that it's not supported by DJI Remote Start/Sto ...

Thats good information to know. So I now have to decide between the Canon and the Sony. Decisions decisions!!!!
2016-8-28
Use props
reednolan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46102 ft

Are there any tutorials out there that show how to install the RSS control cable on the Sony A7SII? The one video that I saw looked like the control cable was connected through the WIFI antenna but I'm not sure how to pop off the cover. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

2016-9-4
Use props
Picture Factory
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5059882 ft
  • >>>
United States

reednolan Posted at 2016-9-4 09:47
Are there any tutorials out there that show how to install the RSS control cable on the Sony A7SII?  ...

I don't know about any videos but I did just set up my RSS system on my Ronin MX with a Sony A7SII. The Sony cable is a semi ridgid/fexible inferred cable that is positioned in front of the receiver on the A7SII grip. Just make sure to go into the camera settings and turn on the the remote control. I am just using the Ronin RC controller and it is a simple flip of the function switch to either roll video or take a still photo.
2016-9-5
Use props
reednolan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46102 ft

Picture Factory Posted at 2016-9-5 22:47
I don't know about any videos but I did just set up my RSS system on my Ronin MX with a Sony A7SII. ...

How did you attach the control cable to the A7SII?
2016-9-6
Use props
Lucien
lvl.3
France

reednolan Posted at 2016-9-6 15:53

Hi reednolan,

You don't have to attach it, you have to point it in front of the infrared receiver on the A7SII grip.
The other side of the cable (8 pins) goes on the DJI Remote Start/Stop unit.

Lucien
2016-9-7
Use props
alexander.sucke
lvl.3

Germany

reednolan Posted at 2016-9-6 15:53

duck tape. Realy!
2016-9-12
Use props
david.visagie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158251 ft
South Africa

Optical zoom is the way to go for what you are wanting to do, instead of full frame and cropping the photos down, have you looked at the feasibility of something like the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, all in weight with lens 588Gram 24X optical zoom which will give you crystal pictures from a distance and its a fraction of the cost  
2016-9-16
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.3
Italy

david.visagie Posted at 2016-9-16 14:52
Optical zoom is the way to go for what you are wanting to do, instead of full frame and cropping the ...

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
2016-9-17
Use props
fanscc226131
lvl.1

United States

Picture Factory Posted at 2016-9-5 06:47
I don't know about any videos but I did just set up my RSS system on my Ronin MX with a Sony A7SII. The Sony cable is a semi ridgid/fexible inferred cable that is positioned in front of the receiver on the A7SII grip. Just make sure to go into the camera settings and turn on the the remote control. I am just using the Ronin RC controller and it is a simple flip of the function switch to either roll video or take a still photo.

Sony or Canon does not work with the "DJI start stop controller"
2017-3-7
Use props
fanse4a1eeec
lvl.3
Czechia

Hey guys,if you are searching for remote controling of A7 cameras, check - AIR Commander. Device will gives you FULL control above any of A7 cameras in mid air. What more, AIR Commander powers your camera from gimbal PTAP connector, which is the best function for mapping or 3D modeling.
Remote acces to
-ISO
-Shutterspeed
-Aperture
-Shutter trigger (single AND highspeed)
-Menu of camera and all functions in the menu

All info at http://lab.airpixel.cz
or buy at http://shop.airpixel.cz

2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now