Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Takeoff from ships
2867 16 2016-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yulianus Ladung
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6174147 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Does anyone has any experiences on takeoff your I1 from a ships (metal ships/construction such as tanker, tug boat, O&G offshore platform, etc)?

I have found several thread on this forum as well as other forums regarding to this, but who know that someone has recent/updated hands-on experiences or any other point of view on this matter. The reason I am asking, is because I might need to bring my I1 to fly offshore at a O&G drilling location that require me to takeoff from a tug boat/supply boat or an offshore production platform (from its helipad) or even a FPSO, to take some footage of the the offshore facilities.

I1 might not the most suitable tool to help me with the requirement, unfortunately I don't other option for the time being, but to ask for information available from you.

It is so much helpful if someone out there would be so kind to  share the experience of flying the I1 offshore with the above situation/location.

2016-8-24
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

I once took off from an all metal bridge with cyclone fencing as the guard rail.  For the first few takeoffs/landings everything worked fine, but on the last one all hell broke loose.  The bird took off and veered erratically to one side.  Luckily I pulled down on the stick and it listened.  It was a pretty hard landing, but the alternative of putting it in the water was not one that would have worked out too well for me.  It may sound silly, but maybe tether a light line to the bird just in case you need to "reel it in" in the event of a mishap.  I would also do a series of very low altitude flights and check all stick functions before taking it to high or too far.  Sounds silly, but unless your employer is willing to buy you a new bird, it may be the best insurance.
2016-8-24
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Living on a small island, I fly from boats at sea a lot, my advice to you would be to practice hand launch/catch and never tie anything to your bird unless you want it to end up in the sea.

Mark G.
2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to calibrate your compass on shore with no metal around. When you power up you'll probably get compass errors but as soo as you take off and get some altitude it will go away. And take off fast and get up quickly.
Not recommended by DJI but if it is too difficult for you to land of the boat depending on how rough the water is, have someone hand catch and leave the gear up. This can be VERY dangerous if not done correctly so maybe just coming in a little fast and plopping onto the deck may be a better way of landing.

I don't know if you hand catch but if you do then you need to teach someone else as it may be too difficult by yourself.

And finally, come in for a landing tail in, did you see the recent video with the girl trying to land on the boat and the Inspire hit the side and fell into the ocean. It would have been much easier tail in.
They also sell grab handles that mount on the arms so a person doesn't have to grab onto the battery.
2016-8-24
Use props
HermosaDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I was flying in Australia I tried to launch from cement paths on ground and bridges.  Many times Go App gave me a red light and said there was strong interference.  Probably rebar.  Each time this happened I laid my GPC backpack down and launched from on top of it instead of directly on the surface that gave me gps interference.  On the pack I got a green light and launched safely.  Landing was fine because I just brought the bird straight down onto the concrete surface.  It has worked really well for me.  The pack and materiel is enough to allow me clear GPS signal through the Go App to takeoff.  I have also used the backpack in the outback where i needed a surface and the rental car had too many obstructions to launch safely from.  I have attached a picture to this post and hope it works.  This is my P3P prior to launching from the GPC backpack.
GPC does not pay me or provide me with anything to say this.

P3P on GPC

P3P on GPC
2016-8-24
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

Taking off from a metal surface can have issues but raising it (like Hermosa's backpack trick) can make enough difference. If you are concerned about GPS issues it may be a good idea to flip to ATTI mode when taking off or landing or get you finger ready on that switch in case. Plenty of practice in ATTI and wind and plenty practice hand catching. And don't forget to keep us posted.

Mark G.
2016-8-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

There often is a wooden or aluminium flat surface you can find to take off from. You can land using hand catching with some practice. I Do NOT recommend taking off from a case unless its really stable on the deck. I once tried taking off from a beach that way and the downdraft from the Inspire blew the case around and it flipped before taking off. If you have two persons you can also hand launch with the landing gear up but that person sure has to trust you!
2016-8-26
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-26 11:35
There often is a wooden or aluminium flat surface you can find to take off from. You can land using  ...

Even if there appears to be a safe spot to land/take off, situations can change quickly at sea. The spot you thought would be good for landing may not seem like a good option when you need it. If you have practiced hand catching/launching until you are confident you will always have a plan B.
2016-8-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>

markaguille Posted at 2016-8-27 16:32
Even if there appears to be a safe spot to land/take off, situations can change quickly at sea. Th ...

You sure have a point about changing conditions!
2016-8-27
Use props
SkyLens Aerial
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3879088 ft
United Kingdom

Hi we work from all manner of boats and waterborne craft. We always hand launch and hand catch. As long as compass is calibrated on land beforehand you'll be good to go. You will not get on very well actually trying to land on the boat due to the boat moving up and down in the water. If its rough you can get someone else to catch and laugh or you can do it with one person. One thing to be careful of... if you can ensure that you are either as far away from the radar unit or turn it off as this has had horrific affects especially on some of the military boats we have worked from. Check out the maritime promo below for some of the work we are involved in!

2016-8-27
Use props
FlightFilm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81493 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Wow nice video :-)
2016-8-29
Use props
Yulianus Ladung
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

Dear all, thank you for all your kind response and insight, it is so much helpful. I will have the assignment next week and let's see how it goes with all the preparation I made. Will make an onsite video on the upcoming experience, and hopefully it could be useful for anyone who need reference.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Yulianus Ladung Posted at 2016-9-7 16:14
Dear all, thank you for all your kind response and insight, it is so much helpful. I will have the a ...

Best of luck to you.
2016-9-7
Use props
cravac
lvl.4
United States

markaguille Posted at 2016-8-25 01:04
Living on a small island, I fly from boats at sea a lot, my advice to you would be to practice hand  ...

how do you hand launch solo? Auto Take-off?
I've never used Auto
can you get the gear up before starting motors?
I've got lots of catches, sand, dogs, terrain, etc.
2016-9-7
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Jersey

cravac Posted at 2016-9-7 23:57
how do you hand launch solo? Auto Take-off?
I've never used Auto
can you get the gear up before s ...

I have never used auto take off, I don't really trust the auto bit. Grab the bird by the battery (keeping fingers away from the props) and hold her above your head, then perform a one handed CSC. Your fingers will be close to the props with the gear down but it's doable.

Good luck and don't blame me if you lose a finger

Mark G.
2016-9-7
Use props
Yulianus Ladung
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

It's been a while since my last response. Thank you for your great response and suggestions. My assignment was as planned and here are some raw footage.

https://instagram.com/p/BMurDprhENq
https://instagram.com/p/BMuq_mbBwTm
https://instagram.com/p/BMuqdM7hoz1
2016-11-13
Use props
Yulianus Ladung
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

A brief video from my assignment on the metal vessel/tug boat.

2016-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules