Ronin MX & 1DX Mark II
10487 21 2016-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darin
New
United States

Hello everyone,

So I've spend most of my morning trying to get a 1DX mark ii on the Ronin MX and have gotten a decent balance that will probably work, but I am finding the 1DX mark ii is fairly top heavy and I can't lower the sled enough on the tilt axis to account for the weight. At the moment, I've tried a Canon 24-70 and a 24-105 and gotten both to balance but not as good as it could be. Currently, I've attached one Steadicam balance weight to to the sled itself and that seemed to help a bit but I'm hoping I missed something.

Anyone else having trouble? Or have I missed something???

Thanks for your help!
Darin

IMG_8009.PNG
2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Do you have any vertical extensions installed on the MX?

http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-m-tilt-bar-extension-rods-30mm
2016-8-24
Use props
darin
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-24 16:01

http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-m-tilt ...

I do not. Do you know if those will give me the extra length needed for the 1dx mark ii?
2016-8-25
Use props
darin
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-24 16:01

http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-m-tilt ...

I went ahead and ordered the product you recommended. Thanks for your help!
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

darin@thedarinl Posted at 2016-8-25 21:15

You're welcome, those should definitely help with the balancing issue.
2016-8-25
Use props
AMhdhkr2wbCe
New

United States

darin@thedarinl Posted at 2016-8-25 21:15

Hey Darin - After ordering those parts, did the 1dx ii fit comfortably on the ronin mx? I was thinking about buying the 1dx ii and the ronin mx or ronin m and want to make sure it fits well enough so that I don't have to spend another 1k for the bigger and heavier ronin. Thank you!
2016-9-3
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft
United Kingdom

I regularly use the 1Dx II on a Ronin M with the extension bars. I use mine with the WFT-8E attached and the 16-35 2.8 II, 24 1.4, 50 1.2 plus ND filter. I got a good balance where I only need to adjust the dovetail for changing the 3 mentioned lenses so is a 2 minutes job every time I switch lens.
I'm not sure that the Ronin MX cage would work if you plan to use the WFT-E8 because on the M the Wifi adapter stands over the end of the right tilt bar.
Also if you plan to use an external monitor you should buy the Movi angled mini hdmi cable and also a L jack extension cord for the microphone. Depending on the lens the 1Dx II tens to be at the same level as the tiltbars so there is really not too much space left between the camera and the tiltbars.
In my experience the Ronin M works very well with the 1Dx II, with the DPAF I can shoot wide open as a one man band.
2016-9-7
Use props
fansf219b48e
New
United Kingdom

Hi mate, did you manage to figure this out ? Im seriously struggling with my 1dx mark ii and Ronin MX, albeit I am new to Gimbals..
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansf219b48e Posted at 2016-11-4 04:37
Hi mate, did you manage to figure this out ? Im seriously struggling with my 1dx mark ii and Ronin M ...

Have you already tried using extensions like I mentioned in post #2
2016-11-3
Use props
fansf219b48e
New
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-3 20:44
Have you already tried using extensions like I mentioned in post #2

Ordered them waiting on them tomorrow! But didn't see if they worked for the guy/girl here. My main issue is I can't even get it close to being balanced without switching the power on. So i must be doing something wrong. When the power switches on obviously the motor forces it to be somewhat balanced.
2016-11-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansf219b48e Posted at 2016-11-5 08:37
Ordered them waiting on them tomorrow! But didn't see if they worked for the guy/girl here. My mai ...

That should definitely help with the balance issue, since it will help lower the center of gravity. Please let me know how it goes once you have the extensions installed.
2016-11-5
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft

I have a 1Dx II on a Ronin M and not the MX so it is without the upper cage so things could be a bit different.
But without the vertical extension rods you need to remove the bottom caps from the vertical bars and push down the bottom plate until it stick out 50% from the rods. This is not recommended but you can try to get an idea. Without the extension or this trick IMO it is impossible to balance a 1Dx II.
When you get the extension then watch some tutorials around how to balance a camera on the Ronin and take some time to find a good balance and check that when ronin mx is on the motors are at 0 or max 1.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

gt3rs Posted at 2016-11-7 16:37
I have a 1Dx II on a Ronin M and not the MX so it is without the upper cage so things could be a bit ...

It would still balance under on the same premise as the Ronin M.
2016-11-7
Use props
Pergite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61604 ft
Sweden

Hi! I ordered the Ronin MX and the recommended extensions mentioned in post #2 so that I can fit the Canon EOS 1-D X Mark II in the Ronin-MX. However, when asking the official DJI support about this combination they now tell me that the extensions only work with the Ronin-M and not the Ronin-MX. The extension is however listed as an accessory to the Ronin MX in the DJI store. I find this a bit confusing and hopefully it will work out when the equipment arrives. I would be grateful if someone could confirm this so it's easier for me to get proper sleep ;)
2017-3-12
Use props
Adacmaster
lvl.1
Italy

Hi there,
no feedback yet?

I'm unable to balance the 1DX mk 2 on the ronin MX, I used to work with a Nikon D7000 and had no problem,
anybody can confirm that the extension kit meant for the "M" works on the "MX"?

thanks in advance,

N

2017-4-4
Use props
Adacmaster
lvl.1
Italy

Adacmaster Posted at 2017-4-4 03:38
Hi there,
no feedback yet?

Hi all,

just to inform you that both the official store and my local dealer confirmed that the item fits the ronin mx.

I ordered it and will post a picture next week,

Thanks!

N
2017-4-11
Use props
JERONEH22
New

United States

Hey everyone, so I just purchased the Ronin MX for my 1DX MKii. Like some of you I am having trouble balancing the camera, I did purchase the extension rods through B&H but of course they were back-order, so I went head and overnight-ed some from somewhere else that will be here tomorrow. My question is has anyone been able to get the camera to correctly balance with the Ronin MX yet?
2017-4-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adacmaster Posted at 2017-4-4 03:38
Hi there,
no feedback yet?

Yes, any of the Ronin M accessories would work with the Ronin MX.
2017-4-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

JERONEH22 Posted at 2017-4-12 14:58
Hey everyone, so I just purchased the Ronin MX for my 1DX MKii. Like some of you I am having trouble balancing the camera, I did purchase the extension rods through B&H but of course they were back-order, so I went head and overnight-ed some from somewhere else that will be here tomorrow. My question is has anyone been able to get the camera to correctly balance with the Ronin MX yet?

It should do the trick.
2017-4-12
Use props
JERONEH22
New

United States

Hey all! Afee toying with this thing for hours, I'm convinced this just won't work. I received the extension rods, but the problem is no matter how low I go the top bar is barely holding on, and besidea that the  electrical cord that's on the left hand of the gimbal only hasee so much length, so when I lower the camera it damn near is pulling out,,and I'm afraid it will snap. 2nd if I raise the top bar it's too tall and gers stuck on the sides. Ivery tried with my Canon 24-70, Rokinon 14, 35 and sigma 18-35 to see if it would work on my 1DX MK2 and no luck. I really wAntes this to work, but I'm just not see in any kind of luck. Here. Perhaps  I need the Ronin M instead.  
2017-4-15
Use props
Adacmaster
lvl.1
Italy

Just for the records,
Yes, it fits but only without the upper cage.

I anyway managed to get a good balance, it's working ok so far.

2017-4-23
Use props
MMM Photo/Video
New
United States

Hello, Like Adacmaster, after futzing with the MX and 1DXMII, I found the best combination for achieving balance was removing the upper cage and also using the longer plate and counter balancing plate with the dove tail weight (with 24-70mm. lens).  I think that the camera is tall and adding the longer plate and counter balance achieves a better CG.  I found that with the removal of the upper cage, you will achieve great balance without the use of extension rods.  The DJI store does recommend the counterweight set, but when you think about it, the camera is top of the line, and the MX isn't cheap, so the additional cost shouldn't be such a shock to those of us that are trying to use this configuration.  Will be testing soon and will add photos and video...
2017-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules